Yamaha’s 847cc Triple hasn’t failed to impress since its 2014 introduction powering the FZ-09. In either FZ-09 or FJ-09 guise, the frisky engine combined with the bike’s light weight and modest MSRP has helped both models to win numerous MO shootouts and Best Of awards:
- More For Less: $8K Four Vs. $8.2K Triple Vs. $8.7K Twin
- Reader’s Choice Best Value Bike Of 2015: Yamaha FZ-09
- 2014 Middleweight Mash-Up Six-Way Shootout!
- Three-Cylinder Sport-Adventure Comparison
- Land Of The Roosting Sun: Four Far-Flung Adventure Bikes From Japan!
The 2016 Yamaha XSR900 carries the Triple torch in re-stylized, neo-retro fashion. Wearing either 60th Anniversary Yellow or Matte Gray/Aluminum, the XSR is a modern iteration of ’70s-era motorcycling, but outfitted with modern accoutrements including ABS, traction control, and an assist-and-slipper clutch. The XSR also benefits from revised damping settings for the fork and shock, a longer shock spring, and the addition of longer, dual-rate fork springs.
Enjoy this brief video review of the XSR, but for more detailed reporting check out our First Ride Review.
Get the Flash Player to see this player.