When riding as a foreigner through the US, the rider would need at a minimum Liability (BI/PD) coverage. This is required in almost every state to show financial responsibility in the event of an accident. Beyond that, the other coverages like Comp and Collision are optional, albeit recommended!

Scott Hall
Motorcycle Product Manager at Progressive