2017 Victory Octane Video Review

Evans Brasfield
by Evans Brasfield
Videos by Jay McNally

We’ve been following the creation of the Victory version of a bike with the Indian Scout engine with great interest. Well, it’s arrived in the form of the 2017 Victory Octane and not without a little controversy from our readers. Whether or not the Octane is the motorcycle you wanted Victory to build with its engine, we think the Octane is a very good motorcycle.

2017 Victory Octane First Ride Review

The engine had its displacement increased to 1179cc and has new pistons, cylinders, heads, camshafts, and all it covers. The gearing was lowered, and the EFI was tuned for maximum responsiveness in the lower rpm. In the end, fully 65% of the Octane’s parts are unique with only the remaining 35% being shared with the Scout. After three days in the Octane’s saddle, we can firmly state that the bikes are quite different in character. We are looking forward to testing the Octane side-by-side with the Scout and the other cruisers in its displacement class as soon as we can gather them together.

For now, here’s a look at the Octane in moving pictures and sound.

Evans Brasfield
Evans Brasfield

Like most of the best happenings in his life, Evans stumbled into his motojournalism career. While on his way to a planned life in academia, he applied for a job at a motorcycle magazine, thinking he’d get the opportunity to write some freelance articles. Instead, he was offered a full-time job in which he discovered he could actually get paid to ride other people’s motorcycles – and he’s never looked back. Over the 25 years he’s been in the motorcycle industry, Evans has written two books, 101 Sportbike Performance Projects and How to Modify Your Metric Cruiser, and has ridden just about every production motorcycle manufactured. Evans has a deep love of motorcycles and believes they are a force for good in the world.

More by Evans Brasfield

Join the conversation
8 of 14 comments
  • SRMark SRMark on Mar 28, 2016

    I like the mini-fairing, the front fender, the tank and the engine.

  • El Apestoso El Apestoso on Mar 31, 2016

    Weren't they comparing this thing to muscle cars? I seem to recall muscle cars actually being fast. This bike is not fast, unless you exclude all bikes that are even moderately fast from any comparison.

    • See 5 previous
    • El Apestoso El Apestoso on Jun 26, 2016

      Athlete among cruisers is like the world's tallest midget. Cruisers are fun, but they're not performance oriented, at all. That's why people for whom performance is a primary concern don't buy them.