2020 KTM SX-E 5 First Look at the Future
I hate to make it about me all the time, but then again… among the happiest days in the Burns household was the day the KTM 50 SX came to live here.
Stepping up from the Yamaha PW50 to that thing was like going from gerbil to pit bull; my 5-year old son went from towhead to gray overnight before settling on brunette. But the old air-cooled original was loud like a buzzsaw, and no way you were going to ride it anywhere near civilization.
Things like this new electric version could be what resuscitates motorcycling among the younger set. Emitting zero emissions and almost zero noise, why couldn’t there be urban MX parks where kids could learn to ride without having to drive to Timbuktu?
KTM Press Release:
The newly developed KTM SX-E 5 is the next step in KTM’s innovative line-up. Combining class-leading knowledge in youth motorcycling with years of development work in the e-sector, the KTM SX-E 5 is based on the incredibly popular 2-stroke KTM 50 SX with a high-end chassis powered by an electric motor. The mission was clear: to create an ultra-competitive machine that is also easy to ride, even for pure beginners. The KTM SX-E 5 enjoys the advantage of zero emissions, low noise and minimal maintenance, which makes it ideal for youngsters looking to make the first step into the world of motorcycling and thanks to its dynamic design, it is ideal for the growing rider with its adjustable seat height. The KTM PowerPack can provide more than two hours of riding for a beginner – or 25 minutes for the faster junior racers – and with its external worldwide charger, full power is restored in approximately one hour.
2020 KTM SX-E 5 Highlights
- State-of-the-art electric motor with 5 kW peak performance, featuring an extremely compact and slim design that is well suited to the smaller chassis.
- Due to its dust and waterproof layout, the air-cooled motor is wear- and maintenance-free.
- Fitted with 84 modern Lithium-Ion cells in a robust die-cast aluminum casing mounted just above the motor, the battery offers enough stored energy for more than two hours of riding for a beginner and 25 minutes for the fastest riders, depending on riding conditions.
- Adjustable seat height can be set at the standard 698 mm (completely rebounded) or it can be easily reduced in two steps to 653 mm. A Suspension Lowering Kit from the accessories line can further lower the seat height to just 556 mm.
- Easy-to-use multifunctional instrument panel allows selection between 6 different ride modes to tailor the power characteristics to any ability level.
- Quick-charging external worldwide charger supplying up to 900 W can be connected to any 110- or 230-Volt socket and plugs directly into the battery back.
- A lanyard attached between the rider’s wrist and the kill switch stops the motor when removed, or in the event of an unexpected fall by the rider.
- Ride modes can be saved by a dongle mounted under the seat to prevent young riders from changing the selected mode.
- WP XACT 35 air-sprung fork is ultra-lightweight and easily adjustable for different rider sizes and track conditions.
- Fully-adjustable XACT PDS rear suspension to match the performance of the WP fork.
- Bodywork that mimics the full-size SX-F line that gives the SX-E 5 a slim profile for excellent ergonomics and handling.
- Front and rear hydraulic brakes by Formula combined with lightweight WAVE discs are powerful with feedback that gives control for any skill level.
- Super lightweight, black anodized aluminum rims are matched to MAXXIS tires for maximum grip.
Electric Motor: 48 V – BLDC Motor with Outer Rotor
Rated Output: 2 kW / 3,200 RPM
Max Power: 5 kW / 3,750 RPM
Torque: 13.8 Nm from 0 RPM
Max Motor Speed: 6,000 RPM
Final Drive: 8:46
Cooling: Air Cooled
Battery: Lithium-Ion KTM
Capacity: 907 Wh
Charging Time 100%: 70 minutes at 25 A
Charging Time 80%: 45 minutes at 25 A
Charging Rate: Quick Charging 5 A 230 V~
Charging Power: 900 W
Frame: Double Grinded Central Double-Cradle-Type Frame
Subframe: Fiberglass-Reinforced Plastic
Handlebar: Tapered Aluminum Ø 28/22/18 mm
Front Suspension: WP XACT 35 USD Ø 35 mm
Rear Suspension: WP XACT PDS Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 205 mm / 8.07 in; 185 mm / 7.28 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 160 mm / 160 mm
Front/Rear Rims: 1.50 x 12” / 1.60 x 10” Aluminum
Front/Rear Tires: 60/100 x 12” / 2.75 x 10”
Chain: 1/2 x 3/16 in
Steering Head Angle: 24º
Triple Clamp Offset: 22 mm
Wheelbase: 1,032 mm ± 10 mm / 40.6 ± 0.4 in
Ground Clearance: 252 mm / 9.92 in
Seat Height: 684 mm / 26.9 in
Weight, Approx: 40.5 kg / 89.3 lbs