Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Please ignore the inane natterings from the peanut gallery. Gas caps are an issue with Thruxtons and Bonnies, the proper way of putting them on is to thread them on and tighten until you feel it stop, don't go any further like a car until you hear it click, which is what your bud did.

About the only way you're going to get that one off is with a strap wrench or some hella strong hands, they can be a real b*tch. Remember, it's not a car, don't tighten it till it clicks, just screw it on untill it stops, it won't feel tight enough at first but it won't come loose or fall off and it'll screw off fine if you follow that procedure.

Another option is the polished Alloy Monza type cap from NewBonneville.com in Texas, you screw that one on tight then it's just a press and release and the cap flips open, totally Kool old skool look for the Thrux especially.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default Whitworth tools required?

Is that a right hand, or left hand thread?
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

I'm sure the glib comments are due to the fact that someone in this day and age is having trouble with a gas cap. I'm no engineer, but if you can't make one of those work right, the rest of the machine might be suspect. Of course, Triumph will fix in in 20 or 30 years.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default All he has to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I'm sure the glib comments are due to the fact that someone in this day and age is having trouble with a gas cap. I'm no engineer, but if you can't make one of those work right, the rest of the machine might be suspect. Of course, Triumph will fix in in 20 or 30 years.
... is replace that crummy British gas cap with the original French Gas Capaeu that it was copied from.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... is replace that crummy British gas cap with the original French Gas Capaeu that it was copied from.
They come in a nice cork verson, or my favorite, the Bleu Cheese Stuffed Olive style.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
They come in a nice cork verson, or my favorite, the Bleu Cheese Stuffed Olive style.


My young lady likes that, stuffed olives with bleu cheese or something, it's not as rancid as you'd think. Defo an aquired taste though.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
My young lady likes that, stuffed olives with bleu cheese or something, it's not as rancid as you'd think. Defo an aquired taste though.
I'll go with the anchovie stuffed olives. They go really nicely with a Bloody Mary.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Has anyone noticed there is (now) 16 replies to a gascap-thread, with only one being any kind of serious?
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Has anyone noticed there is (now) 16 replies to a gascap-thread, with only one being any kind of serious?
Looks like the board is finally hitting stride. Between this and the French copy thing, we can go a long way with very little!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

16 (ok, 15) non-helpful replies.

Your point being...?
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off