Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #21
Flickmeister
Registered Member

My name is Jack, aka flickmeister, aka ILAKSMU (Illustrious Leader and All Knowing Soothsayer of the Motorcycle Universe), aka pompous ass. Been riding 44+ years, mostly hard core sportbikes since 1978 when I bought a Zuk GS1000E. Spent several years roadracing, a few drag racing, and eight as a MSF instructor. Have attended three of Keith's California Superbike Schools, two CLASS schools, and one of Ulrich's Team Hammer Schools. I also taught the new rider's school when I was racing with the FGPRA (Florida Gran Prix Rider's Assoc., now defunct).

My current ride is a 2006 Gixxer Thou'. Absolutely the best motorcycle I have ever owned. It does everything so incredibly well. It's comfortable enough for me to sport tour the country as it comes from the factory, either on one wheel or two, your choice (I'd pick two, I'm old and suck at wheelies). So smooth, so easy to get along with, until you twist that last 1/8th turn of the throttle. At that point, you better have a damn good idea where you are headed. Talk about Jekyll & Hyde, cheeeez......

I still seek out any information I can get my grubby little mitts on that may improve my riding or make it more fun. I have tried to be a student of the sport as both a learner and teacher. I am a 60 year old highly over-opinionated treacherous old fart. Most importantly, my lithium has been on back-order for six weeks now. I think I'm doing pretty damned well considering, but ya just never know when you'll hit that wall and go over the edge.....
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 AM   #22
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Did you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Well, the first thing I've always done on a carbureted bike is drill out the brass plugs on the idle jets (?) and adjust those to get rid of the excess leanness the manufacturers put in to pass emissions. Is that maybe what the shop is referring to?
Pilot jet?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It's the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
Pilot jet?
... pilot air screw I believe.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

Currently own a DRZ-400. Best bike on the planet. It does EVERYTHING capably, and none superbly. This bike gets the most miles in my garage.

I have owned several GS's (750s and 1000s), GSXR750s, TMs, RMs, RMXs and TLs (trials bike). Also an RG80 and a 250 while in Europe.

Suzuki makes some cool bikes.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
sachiwilson

I'm Sachi Wilson. I have a Honda 599 and a CB-1 (my second). I've been riding for 21 years now and I hang out with WetLeather, the Year Round Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. Oh, and Women in the Wind! Can't forget my sisters!

In previous years I've restored a 1964 Bonneville and owned a 1969 Norton Mercury, which was the last of the featherbeds. It was a superb bike. I've also owned and loved three Guzzis. I'd probably own one now if the dealer in San Diego were any good, but it isn't. So I am sticking with Honda for now.

I'm a criminal defense attorney when I'm not riding, which is why I got the snarly nastiness to put up with youse clowns.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Midrange carburetion is controlled by the needle. Adjusting the idle screws won't change midrange leanness.

All you have to do is remove the fuel tank and you can remove the carb tops, remove the needles, place 1/8" thick plastic washers in the needle seats and replace the needles.

You can see if there's a Holeshot jet kit. But the washer fix is really quick and simple and might just do the trick.
Hory Clap! 1/8" Washers! (0.125")

More like 0.030" (vaguely 1/32" or ~0.8mm) to 0.035" thick washers, MAX I'd say.

Try a #6 or #8 washer, if you can't find metric that'll fit..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #27
mugwump58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... pilot air screw I believe.
Thank you. 9 and 10
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Currently own a DRZ-400. Best bike on the planet. It does EVERYTHING capably, and none superbly. This bike gets the most miles in my garage.

How many miles a year do you put in in your garage?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #29
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
How many miles a year do you put in in your garage?
Too goddam many. Trying to figure a problem with my KE175's ignition right now. Then there's the YSR50/80 build up.

Prepping for the Han**** D/S this weekend. The KTM gets some exercise.

Poor neglected Buell sits in the corner......
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote