Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/)
-   -   SV 650s for novice rider? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/2343-sv-650s-for-novice-rider.html)

SeanAlexander 03-09-2004 01:48 PM

Re: OHMYGAWD!!!

Because nothing surprises you, you're the motorcycle prophet!

dylanmo 03-09-2004 03:03 PM

Re: SV650S for novice rider?

My girlfriend's butt prefers the cruiser seat hands down.

Hours have gone by and no one has made a joke. This is a classy, classy forum.

seruzawa 03-09-2004 03:53 PM

Re: Sportbikes 101 SV650S is like kissing your sister (The minivan of sportbikes)

Pavlov couldn't do it better.

Nplateau 03-09-2004 03:54 PM

Re: GAWD IT'S ALL SO DULL...But in your honest opinion...

thaanks bro!

Buzglyd 03-09-2004 04:00 PM

The 80s

Teenage drug use in the 80s. What a shocker!

They didn't call it the "Go Go 80s" for nothin'.

So who was doing the litre bike comparo I happened upon on La Cienega Blvd?

travisyoung 03-09-2004 04:20 PM

Where's Gabe?

Betamax 03-09-2004 06:46 PM

They have? They're still for sale in 04 in Canada.

fargyle 03-09-2004 07:19 PM

Re: SV 650s for novice rider?

Consider the type of riding you do in choosing the bike. I'm your weight and height, and found the SV650 (standard) seat/peg/bar relationship too cramped for rides over 2 hours (even with clubman bars). It was also pretty boring after awhile on the straight streets of Chicago (I've been riding for almost 20 years on a variety of bikes, some much faster) where the only thing that spices life up is large amounts of acceleration. However, now that I'm down in the Utah canyons, I'd like the SV650 back. It's also a great city bike, very flickable. In terms of improving it, the Suzuki screen for the standard makes windblast a non-issue to 80-mph, and you can get way better suspension at the back end by swapping in a GSXR shock (cheap off eBay, will be a little soft for your weight since leverage is different, but a vast improvement over stock: note that this is a chunk of work to fit, directions at some of the sites others recommended). Other folks had good recommendations on the forks. If you do get the standard, I'd recommend lower bars if you're going to ride sportily: getting your weight over the front goes a long way to curing the vague feeling at the front. With those things squared away, it will out-handle most sport bikes due to light weight and low engine inertia, massive frame, good leverage at the bars, and no worries of spinning the wheel in corners.

Another advantage of the SV650 is there is a very active rider community with loads of info on improving the bike, so good if you like to tinker.

dylanmo 03-09-2004 07:41 PM

Re: GAWD IT'S ALL SO DULL...

ugry rike Godzirra

Only laugh I had all day.