Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I ride here in the winter at times, and no matter how much you wash the bike it corrodes in spots. It just does, and nothing can prevent it. I even had pits and corrosion on my Wing, and I tried like hell to keep it from happening. As far as commuting goes, by the time you get to wash the bike, the corrosion is already there. 9 or 10 hours of the bike sitting with salt all over it will do that. I don't commte on days the road has salt on it.

Back to the cold. I dumped my bikes more than once causing hundreds of dollars of damage hitting black ice and going down. It just isn't worth it to me to ride unless the road is clear of salt, snow and ice. Too dangerous and not fun, especially when you hit the turf.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Funny, but I never see one riding here when it gets nasty. Not even one. I guess the chance of getting run over by an 18 wheeler if you go down kind of dampens the spirit a bit. I guess if you were in the middle of nowhere it would be ok, but here it would be suicide. Someone else mentioned the salt too. Wait till you see what your bike would look like after one round on salty roads.
I rode once when it was 24 degrees and had snowed recently. Several miles to school in the morning before sunup. I have no idea how I made it without going down on the CB900C, but I did slide a couple of times on small ice patches. To me riding in such conditions is not adventurous but plain foolhardy. But, hey, if people want to ride in that, who am I to argue with them. Have at it. Have good insurance though.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Back to the cold. I dumped my bikes more than once causing hundreds of dollars of damage hitting black ice and going down. It just isn't worth it to me to ride unless the road is clear of salt, snow and ice. Too dangerous and not fun, especially when you hit the turf.

Yeah, f*ck that. Salt and snow aren't really an issue here, we get maybe a weeks worth of snow spread out over a month or two. It's mainly rain with occasional ice, for the most part it's not that big a deal unless it's monsoon, then you can hardly see to drive let alone ride. Those are the days I get a latte` and crank up the jams in the Explorer, it's not worth the risk to ride in that. Yesterday I just had the Jones and had to ride, simple as that I didn't care what the weather did.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #24
sfcdjevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure. I know there's a thread over in the BMWMOA forum about riding with salt - lemme go find it.

Do you ride with salt on the road??? - BMW MOA

It seems that the advice is to wash the bike with cold water after your ride, and then dry it thoroughly. I imagine a good wax job, plus a protective oil spray before the ride (such as SS100), would help as well.
Wash and dry the bike, wax and protective spray, oh my that is funny. I guess I'll just stick with plan A which is winter is for maintenance.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
sachiwilson

Some people RIDE in the winter. Some people use excuses not to. :shrug:

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Personally, I don't let the cold be a deterrent. It was 21deg F this morning when I left for work. Ice and Snow - that's another story altogether.

Last Monday night though (01/07), this area was hit by a Freak Storm that spawned at least two Tornadoes that touched-down. It was late, I was tired, so I rode "between the cells" home. Didn't even get wet. That is, until I forded the "creek" running- across one highway through this little town where none had been before('twas 'bout at the halfway marker). I had reached the leading-edge of the cell I was attempting to dodge, and it was feckin' pouring (news later said 6" in one hour).

The next flyspeck-town I rode through, as I approached it, Lightning started blasting from the sky; right, left, front & back. I counted nine strikes in just a few minutes, until it struck this radio tower situated about 50yds from the edge of the road, JUST as I came-abreast of it . It hurt my eyes, it was so bright. Then it struck me: (a thought, NOT the Lightning) - I am just-about the TALLEST thing out there, but for that tower itself..........

I hunkered-down and thought low-to-the-ground, well-insulated, high-impedance thoughts the rest of the way home.

What's the weather like in Sunny Califoolya?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk; 01-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Wrong Date. D'OH!
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Some people sleep on beds of nails too.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

Spoken like a true San Diagan..............

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
sachiwilson

I also rode year-round up in Seattle, before I moved. Rain, snow, ice - I rode in it all. The only thing that kept me off the bike was blue ice on the north end of Queen Anne.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Spoken like a true San Diagan..............
Hey. It gets below 50 there. Time for the electric vest, eh? I think it froze once in 1968.