Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Deuce vs. Phoenix Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/252-deuce-vs-phoenix-reader-feedback.html)

Lowrez 01-12-2001 03:18 PM

Re: Deuce vs. Phoenix Reader Feedback

First post and I actually had time to read the article? What's going on here?

Nice to see well made cruisers getting the respect they deserve. Personally, I'd take the H-D, just something odd about the BMW that turns me off.

I'd like to see what HackFu and Minime would do the the H-D if they had it as a long term test ride. I bet the handling and braking would be tweaked quite a bit.

backroadbandit 01-12-2001 05:47 PM

OK, OK, they're just *Cruisers*..........I've owned two softails (butt-busters for sure) and rode a R1200C for 35 miles, west of Yosemite a couple of years ago. I like the oilheads, and own one, but not some dumb cruiser. R1100RS, there's a motorcycle.

I hate to see BMW building cruisers, when they could take the nice pinstripes and oil cooler covers on this bike and make a really really nice street bike out of it, no lie. But they don't, they're playing corporate cruiser wars..........waste of time, and they will find that out, soon.

Rather be out riding my Bandit 1200.

SamBlob 01-13-2001 04:37 AM

Re: Why would I want...

You WOULDN'T want a cruiser! YOU would want a sportbike with lots of power, lots of grip, lots of cornering clearance. And you HAVE what you want.

What you do NOT have, however, is what I want, which is a Honda Nighthawk 750.

Cruiser fans want CRUISERS, and who are WE to tell them that THEY are wrong to want what THEY want???

Everyone rides for their own reason, and the reason chooses the bike.

SamBlob 01-13-2001 04:53 AM

Re: BMW Cruiser

Well... there are people as biased toward cruisers as much as you are biased against them, and this is probably the only way any of those people would consider owning a BMW.

I personally think the R1200C is UGLY, but that's just my opinion, and BMW actually makes a bike for folks like me (or rather folks with my tastes but with enough money to put where their mouths are). It's called the R1100R.

One interesting thing BMW has done with the R1200C is to chrome the Telelever suspension components. The Springer of the future! I like that; pity the rest of the bike is so UGLY!

SamBlob 01-13-2001 05:07 AM

Re: Cruiser comparo...

When are you guys gonna do a comparo between the Honda Rebel 250, the Yamaha Virago 250 and the Suzuki GZ250X?

wingdave 01-13-2001 05:12 AM

After actually driving both (well.. not the phoenix and the deuce.. but an FX and 1200c..both 98's.. both happened to be friends' scoots)

I gotta tell you, the beemer was hands down a better ride.

More of a sportbike handling wise and braking, it felt like the famed landspeeder from starwars (now there's a ride) to the harley's (for lack of a better term) harley-like handling. The beemer, in my experience, had like the article states, a somewhat zen like feel to it.. solid, stable, and predictable. It inspired a hell of a lot of confidence even at 100 mph plus. I couldn't take the harley past 80 before I started to lose confidence in it, and it probably didn't help that I drove the bmw first. I guess, depending on your riding style.. you could find pro's and con's of each..but what do I know, I ride a lumber tourer.

If I had the bazillion-de-eight clams to lay out for either, I'd fly a Beemer..

My two cents.. and before the flames begin, this was my experience, not yours. Just puttin' it out there.

Shiny side up squids..

x1lightening 01-13-2001 05:44 AM

Re: I don

Well put!!!! There are very few people out there that actually know the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle. There are even more people that think you are crazy for just getting on one! Be it a cruiser or sportbike or whatever, at least you are enjoying what you are doing! Riding!!

backroadbandit 01-13-2001 06:36 AM

Ja wohl, Herr Skwidt. Ah, maybe you are out ridink your 250 today?

Wingman 01-13-2001 08:17 AM

I agree although I have to give the nod to BMW for creating a cruiser that is not a clone. I ride a Goldwing most of the time and have been seriosly considering the new Yamaha or the Suzuki for a little adrenaline in the twisty stuff

backroadbandit 01-13-2001 03:44 PM

Don't miss 'em. Didn't like the part about the carb manifold coming apart while traveling. The chicks dug it though.....are they smart, or dumb?

Bandit hauls A$$.

backroadbandit 01-13-2001 03:54 PM

Yup, and my KLR looks cooler than any Harley, if I were ever to consider how it looks, which is mostly, DIRTY.

Better wheelies, too.

backroadbandit 01-13-2001 05:56 PM

I agree. They are kind of .......... nerdulent.

donzi 01-14-2001 07:18 AM

Re: HD "list" prices

I bought a fxdx @ list in october from TSI Harley in Ellington, CT. New London County Motorsports in CT also sells at list price. Other dealers around me sell over 4k above list.

lexs 01-14-2001 01:56 PM

Just FYI, I know a guy who put 220K on an early 'wing without doing anything but oil & filter and tire changes. Last I saw him he was at 240K and mad a the bike because it needed a head gasket at 220K. No air cooled bike by any manufacturer is even close to a good (GL, BMW K bike, etc.) water cooled bike, it just isn't possible. Even the BMWs need at least valve work by 100K. They might still be running but they are well past their prime.

AcesN8s 01-15-2001 05:09 AM

Re: Why would I want...

Thank you. It's amazing how many childish posts I had to read through before I found someone who understands that not everyone is interested in the same thing.

TatdNPrcd 01-15-2001 06:39 AM

Re: aghhha

Gotta tell ya, it's a whole lot of fun riding the Road King wearing my full face Arie Quantum /F and one-piece AreoStich suit. I don't wear it all the time as OK is an adult choice state but I have actually had folks (ok they weren't H-D riders) comment on how refreshing it was to see a "Harley" rider wear protective gear. I've never been a lemming and just the thought of looking like everyone else kinda freaks me out. I just wish the Valk had worked out better for me. Loved the bike cause it IS so different. It just didn't fit. My Road King actually feels small in comparison.

"Cages are for HAMSTERS!"

Iman01 01-15-2001 08:15 AM

You are missing the point. If I wanted to ride fast I'd buy a Busa or something.

I love the way Harleys look, I love the way my bikes fit me. I enjoy adding parts to it. I have a 1983 Sportster, damn thing is always breaking, that is part of why I love it so much.

Iman01 01-15-2001 08:17 AM

Right on the Duece is the worst looking Harley I have ever seen.

Homer 01-15-2001 10:57 AM

Went to Sturgis from eastern PA in '97 with my bud. I was on a 97 HD FLHTC w/ 5k miles. He was on his 84 HD w/ 92k miles which has never been apart. No problems. I maintain all my bikes and ride about 15k a year. Oh yeah, I also have a 84 Yamaha XV1000 and a 01 HD FXST. I don't think after 40 years of riding I could do the 4040 mile one week trip to Sturgis on a sport bike. The FJR1300 might be a different story. Ride what you like. I like anything with 2 wheels and a motor.

RalphKramden 01-15-2001 03:08 PM

Hey- I can afford anew bike every couple of years as long as I don't buy a Harley or BMW. That way I get the new technology and waranty instead of riding around on a 16 year old bike that will never turn into a collectors item.

marc 01-15-2001 06:43 PM

wolvie, is that you?

x1lightening 01-16-2001 06:52 AM

Re: I don

x1lightning was allready taken, DUMBASS!!!!

damn now I have stooped to his low intelligence level!

OH Well, Some people just don't get it!

SeanAlexander 01-16-2001 07:45 AM

Re: aghhha

Modern Technology? Wait a second, we're talking about cruisers and cruiser riders here... Technology isn't the point. If they cared about technology (or performance) they would NOT be buying cruisers.

Wolvie 01-16-2001 10:08 AM

Nope...that wasn't me.

I haven't posted in a while...but I'm still here on occassion reading this stuff.

motorcyclerider 01-16-2001 10:55 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I'd personally rather have the BMW, cause it doesn't "look" like the "same old V-Twin" cruiser, weither it's made by Harley or Japanese!! The V-twin cruiser's are boring, everybody has one, no individualisum, just follow the crowd and be a "pretenda biker", LOL..

R1150GS 01-17-2001 07:51 AM

Squid Bike on Line, no, Motorcycle Online

Whether or not you like cruisers or not is your business. However, the name of this site is Motorcycle Online. I'm just guessing but a cruiser is a motorcycle, no? Well punk ass, some people, myself excluded, do like cruisers and as evidence, cruiser sales numbers are leading all other market segments. So before you whine and cry like the squid you are, open your mind. A cruiser may not handle like a R1 or wheelie like a GSX-R1000, but they are motorcycles and the freedom to choose what one rides is akin to the freedom to ride.

SamBlob 01-17-2001 11:00 PM

Re: Different Cruisers

BMW R1200C

Honda Valkyrie

Suzuki Savage 650

Kawasaki Drifter 800 & 1500

Yamaha V-Max

Moto Guzzi California & Jackal

Comments?

SamBlob 01-17-2001 11:19 PM

Funny shyte! The amazing thing is that I can actually picture it happening!

If I had the money, I'd buy a Nighthawk 750 (maybe a two-year-old used one...) and paint a Sprite ad on the tank. Y'know, green, with bubbles, saying: "Image Is Nothing. Thirst Is Everything."

SamBlob 01-18-2001 01:01 PM

I DO!!!

Geoff 01-19-2001 08:06 AM

Both the Duece and the R1200 are nice cruisers, though the beemer is somewhat agricultural-looking. The Moto Guzzi California EV would have been a nice addition to this comparison. I believe it would have easily won!

The author should lose the Ebonics. This is insulting to the minority readership and compromises the integrity of the article. Or did I miss the humor?

SamBlob 01-21-2001 05:16 AM

Re: F650C

Does anyone else think that a F650C just might be a good idea? It couldn't possibly look worse than the F650GS (unless they revive the previous F650) and it might just improve BMW's entry level. Oh yes, and shaft drive too, please...

SamBlob 01-21-2001 06:55 AM

Re: Rolex vs. Casio

Rolex is one of the few major Swiss names left in the watchmaking field the Swiss once ruled.

Rolls-Royce, once the pride of British aristocracy, is now owned by Volkswagen and BMW, which leaves the RR purists about as inconsolable as Harley purists would be if Honda and Kawasaki were to take over H-D.

H-D is doing well to keep up with (or at least not too far behind) the times.

oldjapbikes 01-22-2001 03:53 PM

love the local talk!

Eyyo MO, da' wuz sum phat reportnn. Dem bikes iz defnitly da shiznit da's fo sho. I ain even like cruisaz bu' peepin at doz bikez made me wanna brake (sic) out sum dough an' get one. Dat Harley D is tight, bud dat bee-em-dub look like some kinda aliean shi* wi' dat wack-ass suspension shi* on 'ere. Dozs rims is phat doh. Fit-teen gran' fo da beema? I might hada still me one cuz I ain' got that kinda cream.

Thig 01-25-2001 06:48 AM

The re-sell argument is . I buy to ride, not count penneys until I decide to sell it.

xv1100s 01-28-2001 03:33 PM

I know 11 folk with Harley's....Only 1 has a reliable bike. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. Nice looking, low quality machine. As for the Beemer....I witnessed one at an MSF Experienced ridier course and that durn kickstand scraped so much that I think it was a different shape when the rider finished the course.

If you are going to choose between these 2 bikes, I guess it boils down to what you are willing to put up with. I think I'll pass altogether and keep riding (when the snow melts).

Thx for the article though....keep up the good work!

seruzawa 02-01-2001 12:34 PM

Well cretainly no one is going to buy the BMW for its looks. It looks like it was designed by a janitor who used to read old custom bike magazines while hiding in the broom closet at the DKW works in East Germany. In fact, you'll never hear the exhaust sound of the BMW because the peals of laughter from people watching you drive by will be too loud.

seruzawa 02-01-2001 12:39 PM

Actually you have to admire BMW for having the guts to build a bike that will raise huge swells of raucous laughter everywhere you go. It is a hilarious looking monstrosity that could only be concieved by Germans. Perhaps BMW should issue those old-style half-helmets with each one. The 1200C is without a doubt the most ridiculous looking thing to come down the pike since Ducati tried to build cruisers back in the 80's.

Dual__Exhaust 03-16-2001 11:25 PM

Re: Cruiser comparo...

Totally unrelated but I'll take the bait...

My wife owns a Honda VTR250 Interceptor V-Twin that not only passes traffic, can pin the needle on the 115 mph speedo, but also brakes and accelerates better than any street-legal auto. It also geets 80mpg and looks great. It even has a catalytic converter so emissions are low. I prefer it to my liter bike any day for around town, so I ride it all the time. I think there is a lot to be said for these bikes even if they are not for everyone. The microcruisers are extremely underpowered in this class though, and I could not buy one for that reason. 60 mph top speed is definitely insufficient.

Dual__Exhaust 03-16-2001 11:28 PM

I have to agree, even if I can't see any reason to buy a Harley. Style MUST rate below reliability if it relates to something with only two wheels.

One wheel will not get you home.

Dual__Exhaust 03-16-2001 11:39 PM

Sportbikers read it because of the ebonics

The article drew me in with the promise of offending someone. I don't actually care about either of these bikes enough to read the comparo without the attempt at humor - it drew me in because without the ebonic connection, I felt no draw to the article. Plus, he was consistent: rising action, climax, and falling action all were accompanied by partially humorous, partially offensive ebonic reference.