Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/)
-   -   Polaris/Victory closing? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-rumor-mill-new-model-news/9738-polaris-victory-closing.html)

RideStrong 10-08-2008 07:31 PM

Polaris/Victory closing?

I am looking to purchase a used 2006 Victory Vegas. I like the bike and the way it rides. When I told a third party about it he informed me that polaris was closing and that Victory was going down with it???? Has anyone else heard this? I would also like to know any opinions on Victory as well.

The_AirHawk 10-08-2008 07:38 PM

I heard about Polaris going-under once - about 15-years ago............

BrowningBAR 10-08-2008 08:04 PM

Unless they've been investing in risky mortgages and bad loans, I think they should be around until the end of the financial world, next Tuesday.

Seriously though, I haven't heard anything about Victory going under.

It might be one of those evil HD loyalists that hate all other manufacturers. :)

mscuddy 10-09-2008 07:24 AM

Nah, since Polaris is propped up Subaru (ex Fuji Motors) in the snow machine market, I doubt it. It would take a world depression to sink Polaris/Subaru (whoops, did I just say that?)...

seruzawa 10-09-2008 07:52 AM

Polaris is the world's largest manufacturer of snowmobiles. There are no indications that the company as a whole is in trouble. Whether or not the Victory line of overpriced cruisers and personal spacecraft will survive is another story. Polaris did close their unprofitable line of watercraft a few years back. Since it's an American company it has the usual American problem of producing some pretty inferior stuff, though apparently Victory has avoided the quality issues that plague the rest of the company. Their ATVs are the worst you can buy and the snowmobiles, while improved recently, aren't as good as, say, Yammerhammers.

MOKE1K 10-10-2008 07:46 AM

The only thing I know about them is they no longer carry their jetski line. Had a customer that bought one cheap, and then found out why he got such a great deal on it.

Dr_Sprocket 10-12-2008 01:03 PM

Say it ain't so...

Say it ain't so. I hope that is not the case. While I decided to purchase a H-D owned Buell bike, I can still appreciate the offerings from Victory (even the Vision). But, with the economy the way it is, you just never know.

MadScientistMatt 01-04-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 195627)
The only thing I know about them is they no longer carry their jetski line. Had a customer that bought one cheap, and then found out why he got such a great deal on it.

And I don't expect that to happen to Victory. With their jet skis, Polaris realized they were going nowhere in that market and made a deliberate decision to bail out. If anything, they've been grabbing a bigger share of the motorcycle market recently.

longride 01-04-2009 05:09 PM

"If anything, they've been grabbing a bigger share of the motorcycle market recently."

They have? Where did you get that info?

sarnali2 01-05-2009 07:39 AM

They are expanding their line up, that's usually a sign they plan on sticking it out. Mark Blackwell is also a serious long term motorcyclist and ex pro motocrosser. I think he has the passion to try to make it work, unlike the stereotypical Japanese bean-counter who will cut and run at the drop of a hat.