Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Rumor Mill & New Model News

Old 03-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
zoi
Registered Member

Default Yamaha R6 2008 VS Suzuki GSX-R 2008

I presently have a Yamaha R6 05 version (my first bike) while my friends ride 2007 Suzuki 600 GSXRs. I find the 07 Gixxer much lighter and easier to manoeuvre but i think it would be an unfair comparison to compare a 05 R6 with a 07 Gixxer which is why i need advice on which 08 bike I should buy. I also like the gear indicator feature being an amateur bike rider with only 3000 miles of experience, at the same time I love the look of the R6 especially from the front. The Yamaha is also a little higher so i had to get mine lowered to be able to confidently place my feet on the ground. Please advice on what bike I should go for considering that I will only use it on-road and never on the track keeping in mind my inexperience. All advice will be much appreciated
zoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Zachery
Registered Member

Well I have your same bike. Not sure I would give up that quickly on your bike. If you want to become a better rider save your money and attend some track schools. I think that will be a better investment. I have been to only 2 track days but I have seen guys on old VFRs,Katanas,ZX-9s s etc. smoke squids on the latest 600s. I am going to my first track school this summer cause I realized that I need it to become a better rider on the track and the road. In my opinion as a fellow R6 rider I would get more time on your bike before I trade her in. Your R6 isn't a dog and was ranked highly in its day.
Zachery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Z-man there is Wise, you would do well to listen to his sage advice.

Less than 3000 miles under your belt, and you "think" your bike is inferior? Have you set-up the suspension on your R6 yet? How old are your tires? (3 years?!) If they're the OEM's, you haven't yet experienced the joy of a fresh-set of banana-skins!

It's more-likely the settings on your friends' bike are closer to fitting your weight and riding-style, than the '05 R6 is "inferior" to the '07 Gixxer-sixxer, and even if they're the stockers - his tires are still fresher than yours (if you haven't already replaced the back one 'cuz "burnouts is kewl, dawg!")

Seek the help of someone that KNOWS how to adjust your suspension for YOU (not just sez "I kin' do 'R!").

Attend a few track days.

Buy a new set of Pirelli's.

Then, come back and tell us about that "inferior R6".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Or, go buy an '08 Gixxer-sixxer. Whateva'.

It's your money, dude.

Just be certain you have the power-control set to "A" before you hamfist the throttle as you wheelie from the Suzuki Dealer's Lot into the unsuspecting traffic..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Si', good advice Zac! Now back to watching Qatar, man them English kids are coming on hard.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
anrajala
Founding Member

You are riding 3000 miles on a 600 that is pushing three years old? My God your friends must think you are soft.
- cruiz-euro

Last edited by sachiwilson; 03-20-2008 at 01:19 PM..
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
ejis
Founding Member

If you have no interest in the track, why oh why would you want to get a bike that's designed first and foremost to be ridden on one? Your R6 almost certainly is a better street bike than the new one. The advice of setting up your suspension and getting new tires is very good. You said you had your bike lowered - who did it? You can wreck a bike's handling completely if something like that is done incorrectly. Bring it back to stock first, then adjust it to suit.

And 3k miles is hardly experience. You have no idea what a bike should feel like, or how to use it.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on school and rubber.

Save your money. Your bike is a LOT faster than you are.

Invest in quality riding and safety gear, and get thee to a riding school.

And for everybody's sake, DO NOT try to keep up with the other squids on public roads.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Get a 25 year old KZ750 and ride the snot out of it. Try to beak it, won't happen. Amaze your squid riding buddies when you blow them into the weeds on a 600 lb bike with 70 horsepower. Ignore the oil leaks, they add character and let you know where you've parked before.