Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Honda 2009 global sales report

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/honda-2009-global-sales-report-89149.html">Honda 2009 global sales report</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Honda 2009 global sales report in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I dont know if many read that article but

Honda sold 11.7 million units in the Asia and Oceania region, a 6% increase from 2008 and an all-time record. Sales in that region increased by 648,000 units. To put that figure into perspective, Honda’s 2009 North American, European and Japanese sales combined for 647,000 units.

I would've thought N. america was a bigger piece of their pie, apparently we're just a small drop in their big bucket.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post

Honda sold 11.7 million units in the Asia and Oceania region, a 6% increase from 2008 and an all-time record. Sales in that region increased by 648,000 units. To put that figure into perspective, Honda’s 2009 North American, European and Japanese sales combined for 647,000 units.

I would've thought N. america was a bigger piece of their pie, apparently we're just a small drop in their big bucket.
Yeah, but most of those were 50cc Cubs sold for 6-million Dong each.................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:

I agree with AirHawk. When a top economy in the world falters, then all companies can expect a drop in sales. The other problem: America doesn't use motorcycles for transportation (for the most part). They are largely recreational products, which hurts the manufacturers bottom line even more in a down economy. Best thing Honda (and the other mfgs) can do: market bikes as sensible transportation, not visceral lust objects for recreation.

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket; 01-27-2010 at 03:16 AM..
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Good points I wonder if they included mowers generators too, they have bigger powerplants then the lil cub just no wheels.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:

Well, NA sales are largely on bigger ticket bikes. The vast majority of Asian sales are Cubs. You have to sell one heck of a lot of Cubs to stay in business.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well, NA sales are largely on bigger ticket bikes. The vast majority of Asian sales are Cubs. You have to sell one heck of a lot of Cubs to stay in business.
I was wondering about the profit margins on American cruisers versus Asian 150cc bikes.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

It would be an interesting study. Whats the $ profit per unit in different countries, or among different bike classes.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
nferr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I would say selling almost 12 million of them in one year would be considered "a heck of a lot".
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I would think the profit margin on Cubs would be pretty high, they've been making them for over 50 years with modest upgrades. The tooling and and facilities would have been paid off long ago and the parts and supply side costs fine tuned. Plus they sell like white flags at a French Army base, if they made $10.00 off each one they'd be raking in the Yen

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote