Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
carlsinclair
Registered Member

Default Help!

Hi, I`m new to this web site and I`ve joined for some help!
Can anyone tell me why my spark-plug has blown straight out of the head? I have the new shape r1 (2004) and I`ve done 28,000 miles. it`s had a winter service but when my mate stripped it down he told me two plugs were loose, infact they were finger tight! The main dealer last fitted new plugs at 12,000 but at the time I did`nt ask for new plugs, they just fitted them! Anyway, the chap said they were in a poor state so I bought new iridium plugs and he fitted them with lots of other stuff. I`ve had the bike back two weeks and the plug that came out last Saturday was one of the plugs that he found loose when he stripped the bike down! I did asked him if he put the new plugs in correctly and he said they went in fine, like they should.
I`m a little stuck and bewildered why it`s blown out of the head, what could have caused this? can anyone please tell me why and what I should or could do! thank you for taking time to read this, Carl Sinclair

Thanks for all your help. I now have the head off the bike and the threads are knackered! It will be heli-coiled now, I`m taking no chances and all 4 will be done because they all look bad!
thanks again to all that took time to help me,
Carl Sinclair

Last edited by carlsinclair; 06-20-2008 at 03:00 AM..
carlsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

what he said, pack the tap with grease when you cut new threads and you won't have any shavings go down on top of the piston. Take your time and do it right.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsinclair View Post
Hi, I`m new to this web site and I`ve joined for some help!
Can anyone tell me why my spark-plug has blown straight out of the head? I have the new shape r1 (2004) and I`ve done 28,000 miles. it`s had a winter service but when my mate stripped it down he told me two plugs were loose, infact they were finger tight! The main dealer last fitted new plugs at 12,000 but at the time I did`nt ask for new plugs, they just fitted them! Anyway, the chap said they were in a poor state so I bought new iridium plugs and he fitted them with lots of other stuff. I`ve had the bike back two weeks and the plug that came out last Saturday was one of the plugs that he found loose when he stripped the bike down! I did asked him if he put the new plugs in correctly and he said they went in fine, like they should.
I`m a little stuck and bewildered why it`s blown out of the head, what could have caused this? can anyone please tell me why and what I should or could do! thank you for taking time to read this, Carl Sinclair

Sounds like the either the old plugs tore out the threads or the new plugs did. Galling is the prime culprit here. If the threads galled to the old plugs then they get ripped out when the plugs are removed, OR the new plugs were tightened too much and took them out. Either way a Heli-Coil insert will have you back up and running.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

what he said, pack the tap with grease when you cut new threads and you won't have any shavings go down on top of the piston. Take your time and do it right.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
12er
Founding Member

Someone forget the squash ring? If threads are intact it could be a possibility. No threads? See above.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Sometimes a new plug needs to be re-torqued after a few hours of riding. And sometimes some bikes just seem to have a sort of vibration that loosens the plugs. You should check new plugs again after a couple hours of riding and each week thereafter.

That is, of course, if the threads in the head are okay. If not you need to get a heli-coil as has already been suggested.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

JB Weld the plugs in. Problem solved.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
carlsinclair
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. I now have the head off the bike and the threads are knackered! It will be heli-coiled now, I`m taking no chances and all 4 will be done because they all look bad!
thanks again to all that took time to help me,
Carl Sinclair
carlsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Glad you found the problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

And Clair called - would like you to get out of her now..........

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote