Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Man, that sounded easy. Makes me want to change the clutch plate in my 21yo K100. You know, the BIG single plate job that looks like it's out of a 3 series. The one that's in that transmission that you have to disassemble the back half of the bike to get at. On second thought, I'll be lazy and let some body else take care of that task. I will lend my talents to smoking a cigar and watching while giving my professional opinion and trying to make their job easier for them. That's the ticket.
I have 36k on my stock K12RS clutch and its getting due. Your preaching to the choir. Ive seen the CHP RT's on cherry pickers in the dealers shop, didnt look like fun. Anything that one of the first steps is "Split Motorcycle in half" doesnt sound like something I'm going to try in the little space I have in my garage.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4LL3N View Post
I Will definately give that a go. Is it fairly easy to remove the cable and put it back? Am guessing the manual will recommend the lube to use? I gave it a ride up the M11/M25 today but even without gloves its still a sucker to pull! On long trips/town journeys that will just hurt...
shouldnt be too bad, take the little bolt that the lever hinges on out so you can slide the fat blob of lead (its not lead but you'll see what I mean) out of the lever, twist off the adjuster from the lever base and one end is free. Look at the other end and disconnect from the motor, do not yank the cable off the bike unless you really like threading it back. Ive used white grease and even "phil" (bicycle chain lube) on my old dirt bikes. New bike has a hydralic clutch so no cable for me anymore... Call the shop, I assume white grease.

Cuddy, what do you recommend o wise sage?

Last edited by 12er; 05-05-2008 at 03:21 PM..
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

After freeing the ends of the cable see how easy the cable moves. It should pull back and forth quite easily. If it's hard to pull you should spray penetrating oil in it and see if it loosens up. If you you can work some grease into it or just squirt in some 30w oil.. either should work. At this time if the cable is okay make a note to buy a replacement cable to carry with you. They can break at any time so carrying a spare should be a regular action by anyone. There is nothing like having a broken cable when you have 20 miles of stop and go and urban traffic lights to deal with. Trust me on this. I carry a spare cable for every bike I own. It's like carrying a spare fan belt for your car.

If the cable is okay then your clutch springs are likely the culprit. Extra stiff springs are a complete waste of time for anything but serious track riding. People put them on for "fun" but they are pointless for normal riding.... i.e. riding that won't get you killed.

A manual will show you how to replace them. It's not difficult. I'm not going to explain because you really need to get a manual. Did you get that you should get a manual?

Last edited by seruzawa; 05-05-2008 at 04:18 PM..
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd take it to the shop you bought it from, they seem to know a little history about the bike. Have them put everything back stock for you. Watch if you can, first time around it's best to pay someone else do it or have a knowledgeable friend show you how. Fumbling around without knowing what you are doing, even with a manual is a recipe for riding the bus while your bike sits in pieces.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
F4LL3N
Registered Member

Hey all, well low and behold the cable did actually snap. The cable has now been replaced and is working fine, still a bit heavy because of the springs but it's bearable. Thanks for all your help!
F4LL3N is offline   Reply With Quote