Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Trollgod
Registered Member

Default cylinder

I heard that some motorcycle cylinders are made or coated with something ( Nickel maybe) I can’t remember what. To the point, it can not be honed normally. Would my cylinders have this stuff on them, or be made of it? Bike in question CB450 K5. On a side note, can anyone help me find standard rings for the CB450 pistons?
Trollgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollgod View Post
I heard that some motorcycle cylinders are made or coated with something ( Nickel maybe) I can’t remember what. To the point, it can not be honed normally. Would my cylinders have this stuff on them, or be made of it? Bike in question CB450 K5. On a side note, can anyone help me find standard rings for the CB450 pistons?
Some bikes have plated cylinders but the CB450 does not.

As for rings check the dealer and accessory shops, internet searches, etc. I'm sure you can accomplish that yourself. That's what the rest of us do.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Nickasil is probably what you're thinking of but it's silica (glass) not Nickel and it wouldn't be on a CB450 as Dr. Seruzawa pointed out. I believe the first known use was in his Oxygen Destroying Bomb but he keeps pretty quiet about that, After decimating the fish population in Tokyo Bay he's probably feeling pretty bad not to mention the legal and moral implications he's had to deal with all these years. Of course the record breaking crab harvest has mitigated his guilt somewhat and basically cornered the market on Crabby Patties

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2; 03-25-2008 at 06:51 PM..
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Nickasil is probably what you're thinking of but it's silica (glass) not Nickel and it wouldn't be on a CB450 as Dr. Seruzawa pointed out. I believe the first known use was in his Oxygen Destroying Bomb but he keeps pretty quiet about that, After decimating the fish population in Tokyo Bay he's probably feeling pretty bad not to mention the legal and moral implications he's had to deal with all these years. Of course the record breaking crab harvest has mitigated his guilt somewhat and basically cornered the market on Crabby Patties
Thank you for your kind words and there's a little gift in the mail for you. It's a metal sphere about 1" in diameter. Just drop it in the bathtub full of water with you for extra special cleansing action.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Trollgod
Registered Member

Default 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Some bikes have plated cylinders but the CB450 does not.

As for rings check the dealer and accessory shops, internet searches, etc. I'm sure you can accomplish that yourself. That's what the rest of us do.
Do you really think I didn't check with the dealer, and or the accessory shops? $61 for three rings is a bit much. As for what the rest of you do well.... (put choice words here). The info on the cylinders was helpful though from "sarnali2".
Trollgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollgod View Post
Do you really think I didn't check with the dealer, and or the accessory shops? $61 for three rings is a bit much. As for what the rest of you do well.... (put choice words here). The info on the cylinders was helpful though from "sarnali2".
How the fock would anyone know if you did or not, Your Highness?

Ha! $61 for three motorcycle rings, especially on a 30 year old motorcycle, is a bargain these days. Did you just fall off the turnip truck?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Did you just fall off the turnip truck?"

Do they still have turnip trucks these days?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Sure, just ask Seruzawa how he got that knot on his head......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How the fock would anyone know if you did or not, Your Highness?

Ha! $61 for three motorcycle rings, especially on a 30 year old motorcycle, is a bargain these days. Did you just fall off the turnip truck?
$61 isnt bad, I had to pay $25 for two o rings and a tiny dime sized rubber insert for a Petschlong on a 69 Yamaha I got running for a friend a while back.

You may have gotten the bike cheap, but dont worry you'll pay it all back in parts. Consider it tuition for your motorcycle edumacation.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Sure, just ask Seruzawa how he got that knot on his head......
I was born in SoCal so I actually fell off the tomato truck. Don't you know anything? All that rain and proximity to broomstick driven psychosis must have softened your brain.