Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
fotopromilano
Registered Member

Default bmw f650gs tune up at 10000km

hey guys,
i have an old bmw f650gs from 2001, and it now nearing it's 10000km. the manual says to bring it to the dealer for tune up.
MY QUESTION IS WHAT EXACTLY WOULD THEY DO TO MY BIKE AT THIS POINT? WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS 300EURO TUNE UP?
thanks in advance, and waiting anxiously for your replies,
joel
fotopromilano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
sachiwilson

Why don't you ask a dealer?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I would guess it'll be the standard spark plug-oil-oil filter-air filter-valve check, maybe brake fluid or coolant change, check the throttle plate positioner.. I know BMW is pretty extensive with their checks and services but realistically, Sachi's right, you'll have to call them and ask to get an exact answer

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
jmcintire
Founding Member

I have included a link that describes what is called for in the service. Keep in mind that your dealer will likely want to do many of the annual service requirements (change coolant, brake fluid, etc.) due to the bikes age, so make sure they are clear on exactly what you want them to do.

Link: http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Do...e_schedule.gif
jmcintire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You mean if he gives the dealer a free hand he better have a jar of KY ready.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You mean if he gives the dealer a free hand he better have a jar of KY ready.
I don't know which is worse. The $2K price tag for scheduled maintenance on a K1200LT or the fact that so many people will actually line up to pay it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I used to take my K 100 RS in, this was back in the 80's~ early 90's but it was like a hundred and something for the 5k, $250 or so for the 10K or there-abouts. They did a pretty extensive service though so I didn't think it was a bad deal, plus it was the first bike I ever actually took in for service so I didn't know any better.

Once the bike was out of warranty I did it all myself except the infamous spline lube which I have my doubts about. I can't imagine what they're doing to a K-LT for $2 grand a pop

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I used to take my K 100 RS in, this was back in the 80's~ early 90's but it was like a hundred and something for the 5k, $250 or so for the 10K or there-abouts. They did a pretty extensive service though so I didn't think it was a bad deal, plus it was the first bike I ever actually took in for service so I didn't know any better.

Once the bike was out of warranty I did it all myself except the infamous spline lube which I have my doubts about. I can't imagine what they're doing to a K-LT for $2 grand a pop
BMW's got the same thing going that HD does. People who will pay $175 for a $20 fleece pullover with the roundel on it will pay $2K for a 'genuine' valve adjustment.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
12er
Founding Member

"I can't imagine what they're doing to a K-LT for $2 grand a pop"

Shop time to get the plastic off? The worst my K-RS has been was about $500 when I had all the fluids replaced along with brake pads. I'm afraid to find out what the clutch is going to run, having seen the Police RT's in the shop help up by tiedowns and a cherry picker to split the bike in half. Wet clutch takes what, about a half an hour to pop the springs, pull the basket and replate?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote