Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
brettzzzzz
Registered Member

Cool zx7r ninja leans out with ram air installed

I have a 99 zx7r, It runs fine without my ram air installed. If I install the ram air tubes the zx7r starves for fuel and leans out fast. It will die if I rev too high.

I blew out the jets with 100psi air from my air compressor. I have a slipon yosh pipe. I dont know why its leaning out.
brettzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Big Jets Needed

Beacuse you didn't PUT A FREEKING JET KIT IN...that consists of BIGGER JETS...to compensate for the increased AIR FLOW...after you put that dang Yoshi pipe on it...

DO that, (put a bigger jet kit in) and the problem should be solved. That, or put the stock pipe back on, see if it runs ok..and if it does, you'll know why.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Sometines....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Beacuse you didn't PUT A FREEKING JET KIT IN...that consists of BIGGER JETS...to compensate for the increased AIR FLOW...after you put that dang Yoshi pipe on it...

DO that, (put a bigger jet kit in) and the problem should be solved. That, or put the stock pipe back on, see if it runs ok..and if it does, you'll know why.
....ya just gotta take a breath. Hard to believe it but most people have no clue when it comes to exhaust/intake mods.... witness the high rate of loud bikes (cruisers and sportbikes) making like .38 Specials.

Last edited by seruzawa; 08-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: spelling... do'h!
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
....ya just gotta take a breath. Hard to believe it but most people have no clue when it comes to exhaust/intake mods.... witness the high rate of loud bikes (cruisers and sportbikes) making like .38 Specials.
Breath in, breath out...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
cgifly2
Registered Member

No you dont need bigger jets. The problem is the carb bowl vents need to be pressurized with the same pressure as the intake side of the carb. Your bowl vent tube iether fell off or is plugged. Did you take off the air diverter valve? If you did you need to redirect the bowl vent to the aircleaner.
cgifly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgifly2 View Post
No you dont need bigger jets. The problem is the carb bowl vents need to be pressurized with the same pressure as the intake side of the carb. Your bowl vent tube iether fell off or is plugged. Did you take off the air diverter valve? If you did you need to redirect the bowl vent to the aircleaner.
Exactly. John Burns had this exact problem in his recent article in Cycle World.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Exactly. John Burns had this exact problem in his recent article in Cycle World.
But with the mods he probably will need a jet kit anyhow. Bikes run pretty lean stock. He should at least do some runs to check the plug color.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

None of us here really read Cycle World. We are all pretty much past that rag, so we certainly wouldn't know what old JB said.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

?!?! Pressurize the float bowls? Wouldn't that cause the gasoline to shoot back into the gas tank and cause a horrible accident akin to the Hindenburg disaster? Oh the humanity...

Funny, but the ram air IV system on my '68 GTO (pirated from a '69) didn't have a pressurized float bowl..guess the Quadrajunk didn't need one...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
?!?! Pressurize the float bowls? Wouldn't that cause the gasoline to shoot back into the gas tank and cause a horrible accident akin to the Hindenburg disaster? Oh the humanity...

Funny, but the ram air IV system on my '68 GTO (pirated from a '69) didn't have a pressurized float bowl..guess the Quadrajunk didn't need one...
Didn't they still use side valves and surface vapor carburetion in 1968?