Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
HighsideHarry

Default 2002 Yamaha R1 Trip Indicator.

On a Yamaha R1, there are two trip indicators, an odometer and a clock. For some strange reason, the trip indicators will show the mileage I've travelled, but as soon as I turn the key off, the indicator resets back to zero. This happens with either indicator. Odometer works fine and retains its setting.

New one on me. Worked fine for the last 5 years. I see no reason why this should happen. Anyone have any ideas?
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

It's broken. That, or you changed some setting in the tripmeter by fumbling around with the buttons. If you loose power, or the battery is disconnected, the tripmeter gets erased, but (according to my buddy at the Yahaha shop) the odometer reading is stored in the ECM, and the ODO re-sets to the last entry when the ignition is turned on.

Try disconnecting the battery, and arching the hot lead three (3) times, that re-sets the ecm, and maybe will fix the clock/tripmeter.

And, if that doesn't work, get a live chicken, and some tree moss...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
HighsideHarry

Thanks, MsCuddy. I assume you mean short the battery to the ground terminal....

This problem originally started after I installed a shift indicator (Which didn't work worth beans..) that called for installing a jumper between the display head and the OEM cable for the display. After I returned the shift indicator and hooked everything back up to the original setup, the problem began. And yes, all the connections are good......
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..no, just remove the positive side wire, and touch the positive side terminal 3 times, and re-connect the wire.

Hmmm...started acting up AFTER you returned the wiring to normal? I'd look for a crossed wire somewhere...that, or some electronic gizmo smoked when you installed the shift indicator. You might want to get the specs on the milivolt range that circuit operates under, and test with a DVOM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
HighsideHarry

Gave it the Old College Try, but no luck. (I assumed that the key should be "On" whilst shorting the terminals. Flow of electrons, and all that....)

So I guess I'll go back to writing down the mileage when I get home. Sucks to have the Low Fuel Light come on when you're 30 miles from nowhere, but if you check the prices on a new display unit or ECU, whichever ain't working, you'll understand.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Too bad they don't include stuff like this in the service manual instead of keeping it exclusive to those working in the trade.