Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Magazine Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-magazine-discussion/)
-   -   In the Internet age, why bother with print? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-magazine-discussion/5085-internet-age-why-bother-print.html)

rdlviper 06-21-2007 09:38 AM

In the Internet age, why bother with print?

I seem to rely less and less on print magazines. I prefer a website with nice high-res pictures, and good content. I also really appreciate a PDF feature, so I can save it, and read it on long flights. For Motorcycle.com, I just use the print friendly version, and then Print to PDF feature on my Mac. Works like a charm :)

I just can't comprehend the need to kill so many trees. Did you know that of all the magazines they print for newsstands, about 70% of them end up going to the shredder? Terrible for the environment.

Go green - go online! lol

BrowningBAR 06-21-2007 09:52 AM

Actually a lot of people are complaining about the pollution that computers cause.

Is it as bad as paper, I don't think so. But I am seeing more and more "reports" about computer pollution.

schizuki 06-27-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlviper (Post 162238)
I just can't comprehend the need to kill so many trees.

I just can't comprehend dragging my computer into the bathroom once a day.

seruzawa 06-27-2007 08:00 PM

Well, actually trees grow back and the paper companies have their own forests for that purpose. Also, paper is fully biodegradable while circuit boards and microchips are toxic and the plastic lives forever.

So in the long run making paper is less damaging to the environment than making computers.

pplassm 06-27-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 163623)
I just can't comprehend dragging my computer into the bathroom once a day.

Exactly. Also, my laptop doesn't fit on my exercycle, and I still end up in places where THERE AIN'T NO INTERNET!!!!!

schizuki 06-27-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 163626)
Well, actually trees grow back and the paper companies have their own forests for that purpose.

Yeah, I've never understood the obsession with saving trees. We're more forested now than 200 years ago, and trees grow. Rather quickly.

Here in Maine, where private property means "You pay for it, but we'll tell you what you can do with it, which is 'nothing'", paper companies are always getting crap. This in a state with huge sections that are so unpopulated they're not named, they're numbered.

It would be great if people who liked telling other people what they can do with their property would pony up some dough to buy it and leave it undeveloped.

seruzawa 06-27-2007 09:10 PM

The people who worry about the forests being 'destroyed' also usually worry about water and air being 'destroyed' too. LOL!

maladg 06-29-2007 06:12 AM

I blame the loss of discussion IQ on the new MO format.

Buzglyd 06-29-2007 06:39 AM

If you lived in a tree, you would have to read a magazine because it's kinda hard to use a computer in a tree.

seruzawa 06-29-2007 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 163819)
If you lived in a tree, you would have to read a magazine because it's kinda hard to use a computer in a tree.

So you're saying that Daryl Hannah can read?