Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Advice for my first real sports bike (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9412-advice-for-my-first-real-sports-bike.html)

ngn 09-04-2008 12:48 AM

Advice for my first real sports bike

Hello

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice. I am 5'6", 145 lbs and am looking to buy a sport bike around the 600cc range. I have ridden a 110cc bike for 4 years (not in the US), but have not been riding for the last 4 yrs. I took the MSF basic rider class last week to get my motorcycle license in the US and it was rather easy.

I'm confused between the Kawasaki Ninja 650R (which some websites claim to be a good bike for beginners) and a bunch of others like Honda CB600RR, and the Suzuki ones in the same class. I would love to hear suggestions on this from pro bikers like you. Are there any good online resources that I can tap for my research?

Thanks,
NN

Kenneth_Moore 09-04-2008 05:26 AM

"Offline" you can probably still get a copy of this month's Cycle World at the news stand. They have the results of this years Master Bike shootout, which is a comprehensive look at all the leading sportbikes. Online, where to begin? Google "sportbike comparisons" or variations of it, and you'll get endless hits.

Everybody has their own opinion, but I think the Suzuki SV650 is a outstanding sportbike in that size range. It's managable for a noob, but has enough capability to keep even track day addicts happy. There's also an awesome aftermarket for the bike, and lots of club racing. Besides, it has a V twin; nothing better than that!

newagetwotone 09-04-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngn (Post 192801)
I'm confused between the Kawasaki Ninja 650R (which some websites claim to be a good bike for beginners) and a bunch of others like Honda CB600RR, and the Suzuki ones in the same class.

Its not all about engine size. Just think about this, a big harley runs over 1600ccs but only has 61hp the 'Busa is 1400ccs and it runs... what 194hp?

Same idea here, the Ninja 650R WILL go fast enough for your to kill yourself (hell the Ninja 250R will crack 100mph and hit 60 in 5 seconds!) and isn't as powerful as the CB600R. Reason? The 650R is a parallel twin, the CB600R is an Inline 4. That being said, have you looked at the Ninja 250r? or for that matter did you guys get the ZX-2R? Its a Inline 4 250, quicker than the 250R if thats what you want.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-2R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

trenttheuncatchable 09-04-2008 09:28 AM

The Kawasaki 650R is not a race bike, but the Honda CBR600RR is. The 650R has different ergonomics (you sit much more upright on it), it has better fuel economy, and it's much less expensive to insure. The Kawasaki equivalent of the CBR600RR is the ZX-6R. If you want to get something more sporty than a 650R but not as sporty as a CBR600RR, then the Suzuki SV650S is something to consider.

MOKE1K 09-04-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 192837)
The Kawasaki 650R is not a race bike, but the Honda CBR600RR is. The 650R has different ergonomics (you sit much more upright on it), it has better fuel economy, and it's much less expensive to insure. The Kawasaki equivalent of the CBR600RR is the ZX-6R. If you want to get something more sporty than a 650R but not as sporty as a CBR600RR, then the Suzuki SV650S is something to consider.

Dont tell Jay Springsteen that, hes racing one?(Moto-st)

MOKE1K 09-04-2008 09:44 AM

Listen the reason I totally agree with the SV is its capability if your a hard core cornering guy, or its easy ridability if your just going to work. You'll never get bored of it, as you grow into it.

Where did you ride when you where out of the country? Alot has changed in the Industry even in four years. Pro bikers?,...here,..
where?

seruzawa 09-04-2008 10:18 AM

I can tell you without reservation that the absolute most fun I have on motorcycles is on smaller less powerful ones. A Ninja500 or a 250 or a Ducati620 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Any of those will get you killed or ticketed in a hurry too. I steal my wife's Yamaha 125 scooter once in a while and tear through the city laughing like a maniac. But when I get on my Zrex1100 and go into the mountains I end up spending a lot of time stuck in 2nd gear and worrying about flying off the mountain. While you are getting experience leave the 150hp bikes that get you up to 120mph in 9 seconds to the small d**** who have to overcompensate.

The old adage is true: It's much more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike.

Just remember that today's "slow" bikes will leave Dodge Vipers coughing bike exhaust.

ngn 09-04-2008 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm not really looking to race, but I do want to experience the thrill of riding a really powerful machine. That's why I thought of looking at the 600c range. I did google for sportbike comprisons and got way too many hits. Thats why i am asking for some "reliable" or recommended sites. As for my previous experience, I was just commuting using my 110cc Kawasaki. The max speed I ever got to on that baby was like 85kmph ~ 53mph

12er 09-04-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngn (Post 192858)
Thanks for all the inputs. I'm not really looking to race, but I do want to experience the thrill of riding a really powerful machine. That's why I thought of looking at the 600c range. I did google for sportbike comprisons and got way too many hits. Thats why i am asking for some "reliable" or recommended sites. As for my previous experience, I was just commuting using my 110cc Kawasaki. The max speed I ever got to on that baby was like 85kmph ~ 53mph

Get a ninja 250, you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Going from 8hp 110 to a 100+ 600 isnt recommended. The Ninja 650 and SV 650 would be the more sensible route if you have to go there. But pick up a 250 and move up.

MOKE1K 09-04-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 192846)
I can tell you without reservation that the absolute most fun I have on motorcycles is on smaller less powerful ones. A Ninja500 or a 250 or a Ducati620 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Any of those will get you killed or ticketed in a hurry too. I steal my wife's Yamaha 125 scooter once in a while and tear through the city laughing like a maniac. But when I get on my Zrex1100 and go into the mountains I end up spending a lot of time stuck in 2nd gear and worrying about flying off the mountain. While you are getting experience leave the 150hp bikes that get you up to 120mph in 9 seconds to the small d**** who have to overcompensate.

The old adage is true: It's much more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike.

Just remember that today's "slow" bikes will leave Dodge Vipers coughing bike exhaust.

This is what incumbuses a great rider. A real rider imo.