Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Even though I have nothing to add I'll jump in anyway because your name is close to my youngest daughters and like my daughter you're probably a nice young lady ..........

At any rate, I've also had good luck on Craigslist and Cycle Trader. I wouldn't waste much time on e-bay or local newspapers. Good luck, don't take any crap off anyone, cash only, no test rides, money talks and BS walks.....

yer' welcome....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
bbtowns
Founding Member

Unlike lot's of folks here, I've sold about 1/2 dozen bikes on ebay no problem. I'll certainly agree with MSCuddy and others that you'll probably have folks try to scam you, but the easiest way to avoid that is to refuse to sell to anyone overseas, and be suspicious of anything that's too good to be true. Anyone trying to scam you on ebay is going to do it through email at least, so you get to stay arms length from the freaks.
Craigslist is good and reaches a lot of people (I've sold a few bikes/cars through there as well), but like MSCuddy's web site article, you'll get some freaks coming by. People who make appts. and don't show up, people who make appts. and then offer you 30% of the value of the bike, etc. So you'll probably sell the bike, but you'll have to deal with a lot of interesting characters. For some reason in my experience Craig's list brings more freaks out than the paper or anywhere else, but reaches a lot more people too.
Don't be afraid of either, but use your head and be suspicious. The fact that you don't have your title (I assume) is good as any transaction would likely be done with your bank involved.
Good luck!
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I put the Jawa Trail 90 on Ebay for $500.00, and on Tuesday some guy drove all the way from Chicago to pick the damn thing up (after pay paling the $$$).

Good advise from bbtowns & sarnali about dealing with interesting folks. DO NOT LET THEM RIDE THE BIKE! Some guy who weighed 400 lbs, wanted to ride my DT1 when I sold it on Craigslist, told him to hit the road. Be selective, the ball's in your court.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Oh, an' a 'nother thing.......

If someone wants to see the bike, meet them at a Starbucks or somewhere puplic, not at your place. They can look at the bike all they want there. If they're serious ie money in hand then you can do the deal there, or meet them at the end of your street or somewhere like that.

It sounds paranoid but I personally know of people that'll look at a vehicle be it bike, car or boat then come back and steal it when you're out. When it comes to dealing with strangers and money you really need your spidy senses up and running, most people are decent and honest, some are not.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

And, in the "I'm not paranoid, I just KNOW that everyone is out to get me" vein...

Since one assumes you are female by your username, make sure you have the biggest, ugliest friend you know with you when you meet the prospective buyer.

This advice goes for anyone, male or female, unless you are armed and a gun control advocate.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
unless you are armed and a gun control advocate.

Gun control meaning steady breathing and using both hands of course.........

Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

I like to refer to it as applying "Group Therapy."

The tighter the group, the better.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default I'll need your data for the check, viz;

[QUOTE=mscuddy;166553]"Mr. Cuddy, how about posting those links to your articles on your bike sales episodes for the lady? She can get the scoop and a grin."

Here they be Mr. Moore.

"Thanks for the info you gave me. its really my chioce. Its what i have been searching for for the last 6 months. Thanks for everything."
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

*Chanting* Front sight, front sight, front sight *Chanting*
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote