Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2014 Honda CTX700 First Look (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20834-2014-honda-ctx700-first-look.html)

Administrator 02-11-2013 02:26 PM

2014 Honda CTX700 First Look

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//manufacturer/honda/2014-honda-ctx700-first-look-91515.html">2014 Honda CTX700 First Look</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2014 Honda CTX700 First Look in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

And don't forget to check out the new Honda CTX700 Forum.

seruzawa 02-11-2013 06:59 PM

First look? Actually one look is enough. Why did Honda beat it with an ugly stick?

12er 02-11-2013 07:39 PM

My eyes.... The horror...

Buzglyd 02-11-2013 08:18 PM

All these articles about "practical rides" are depressing me.

It makes me yearn for the days of $40,000 chrome choppers.

We're becoming Europe or maybe even India.

Whoopee.

SpeedwayRN 02-12-2013 07:13 AM

Maybe it will bring more riders into the sport...

jmdonald 02-12-2013 07:23 AM

P.P. Style

If this is what price point style is they need to do some work.

The Spaceman 02-12-2013 07:40 AM

I kinda like the one with the fairing and saddle bags. But even more interesting to me is that Honda is finally innovating again. It's been cruisers and supersports only for much too long. The NC platform isn't for me, but its moving riders off VStroms already. And I think the CTX will give buyers a lot more value for their money in the long run than yet another Vtwin HD clone

Kevin_Duke 02-12-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 280105)
Maybe it will bring more riders into the sport...

Traditional, old-timey riders like us are known to have conservative tastes. But we're not the target market. I can appreciate the vision of people needing a bike like this. We'll have to see if the 20-something market agrees. They'll give their verdict on the sales floor. It'll be interesting to see how it does.

Duken4evr 02-12-2013 10:36 AM

I can see these as appealing to younger iPhone generation and I wish Honda luck with the endeavor. Let's face it, as Baby Boomers, like the dinosaurs before us, we ruled and crapped all over the world, but we will eventually become irrelevent and our stick in the mud protests will be dismissed as the rantings of cranky old men. At the moment, still all full of bravado and packing a lightning fast liter class sportish bike, I don't particularly care for this vision of the future, but who knows. The plan for my own personal road to geezerville is something like the new CB1100F and then maybe something like one of these new Honda CTXs.

Instead of getting a scooter, one of these in a variant with some storage capacity makes sense as a cheaper and in my opinion similar but better (as it still is a motorcycle after all) alternative to a maxi scooter for my toddling off to the nursing home years.

One thing is a given. As long as I can see where the hell I am going and have the physical ability, I am gonna ride something with 2 wheels, probably longer into those sunset years than is advisable. :)

jmdonald 02-12-2013 10:54 AM

Warthog

Styling issues aside I also am glad to see this line offered by Honda. The pilots of the A-10 Thunderbolt saw the plane as Gorgeous. Functional air dams are not always a thing of beauty. I would have killed for a reasonable priced middle weight bike with the new technology and metallurgy available today in my 20's. If they remain profitable it will be even better.

The Spaceman 02-12-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 280118)
The plan for my own personal road to geezerville is something like the new CB1100F and then maybe something like one of these new Honda CTXs.

I resemble that remark.

The Spaceman 02-12-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 280116)
Traditional, old-timey riders like us are known to have conservative tastes. But we're not the target market. I can appreciate the vision of people needing a bike like this. We'll have to see if the 20-something market agrees. They'll give their verdict on the sales floor. It'll be interesting to see how it does.

Is there a 20-something market? I know the median age of m/c buyers went down from 43 to 40 last year, indicating new, younger buyers. But I have to wonder: if bikes like the CTX don't offer a compelling performance benefit, would a young buyer choose a bike over a car? The price of a supersport vs. a new Scion is about the same. What's going to drive the buy decision? When I was 16, "On Any Sunday" was the best movie I'd ever seen. Everybody I knew had, was buying, or wanted a bike. I don't see anything like that today, which is unfortunate, because there's never been a better time to be engaged in motorcycling.

jmdonald 02-12-2013 01:41 PM

Interest (ing)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280121)
Is there a 20-something market? I know the median age of m/c buyers went down from 43 to 40 last year, indicating new, younger buyers. But I have to wonder: if bikes like the CTX don't offer a compelling performance benefit, would a young buyer choose a bike over a car? The price of a supersport vs. a new Scion is about the same. What's going to drive the buy decision? When I was 16, "On Any Sunday" was the best movie I'd ever seen. Everybody I knew had, was buying, or wanted a bike. I don't see anything like that today, which is unfortunate, because there's never been a better time to be engaged in motorcycling.

When I started riding it was for the love of it. The financial investment was always above and beyond my normal course of expense, meaning it was a luxury. One would think it is the same for younger riders today. Living in the northeast winters were brutal so I was only able to ride a portion of the calendar year. I would love to see some real customer/market data especially from the manufacturers. Things like sales numbers by type, region along with any correlating demographic data, market share real numbers. I am curious but I doubt the decision is bike vs. car. Except maybe for the decidedly few extremists.

schizuki 02-12-2013 02:41 PM

There are plenty of bikes that aren't for me, but I get them. I may not appreciate them, but I get them.

I do not get this.

Two-wheel transport has to be "cool" in some way to a kid, doesn't it? It can be cheap and still be cool. What seems to be cool to kids today is anything that caters to their narcissism. Their bike has to reflect them in some way. A cheap cafe bike is retro-cool. A scooter is geek-cool. Even a budget adventure bike can be outdoor-cool.

You know what's not cool? Practicality and value. This looks like the Saturn of bikes.

With the saddlebags and fairing, I can see it selling to downsizing Goldwing riders. New riders? Not so much.

Duken4evr 02-12-2013 03:56 PM

These young guys are decidedly way cool. Cooler than I ever was or could ever hope to be. Perhaps there is hope after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQob...layer_embedded

The_AirHawk 02-12-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 280119)
Styling issues aside I also am glad to see this line offered by Honda. The pilots of the A-10 Thunderbolt saw the plane as Gorgeous. Functional air dams are not always a thing of beauty. I would have killed for a reasonable priced middle weight bike with the new technology and metallurgy available today in my 20's. If they remain profitable it will be even better.

Speaking of the A-10, they're closing the last Pilot Training Center for that aircraft this Spring near Ft. Smith, AR, as the slowest, toughest, biggest airborn-squirrelly-rifle is phased into oblivion.

Because the Commander has a Stellar record as operating the safest, most-efficient base the military has (across all four branches of the service), they've elected to keep it open - a Predator Drone flight-training base.

Beats the total-axe, which is what it was slated-for, I suppose.

12er 02-12-2013 07:15 PM

werent they decomed about 5 or 6 times now, the a-10's that is. Love that plane.

Duken4evr 02-13-2013 08:42 AM

Occurs to me, with it's laydown engine design, one could modify their Honda CTX 700 wth the optional decomissioned A-10 sourced surplus 30mm Avenger gatling cannon. That would clear traffic and toughen up the image. Might need some stiffer fork springs though :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps51c73f35.jpg

SpeedwayRN 02-13-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 280129)
These young guys are decidedly way cool. Cooler than I ever was or could ever hope to be. Perhaps there is hope after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQob...layer_embedded

The operating of the earth moving equipment was almost as appealing to me....
everytime they landed my back was thanking me I was not actually doing that! I was there in spirit though...

jmdonald 02-13-2013 10:34 AM

W.w.m.a.

When it comes to wine, women, motorcycles and airplanes all you need to know is what you like. One mans A10 is another mans Multistrada.

sarnali2 02-13-2013 02:07 PM

As a total function over form guy the A10 is the bees flippin' knees as far as I'm concerned, a thing of beauty to rival the F4j Phantom 2, F86 Sabre, Spitfire, F4U Corsair, BF109e, A6M type 0 etc..

I find this Honda to be a halfway decent looking bike and a welcome relief from the 50's burgerbarn fantasy crap they've been dishing up for so long. I think it's in line with the other Honda purpose built bikes like the Winger, ST1300 and Deauville. Good solid and practical designs, this comes across as a good functional motorcycle. It's nice to see Honda coming up with their own look again after so long away in cookiecutter land.

The Spaceman 02-13-2013 02:54 PM

The thing I've always liked about the A-10 is it's survivability. That thing has redundant redundancies. The flight control hydraulics, all the electronics, the fuel system, even the control surfaces of the plane are designed to keep it in the air even if 1/2 of it is shot away. And the pilot sits in a armored "bathtub"; virtually the only way to hit him (or her) is to fire from above.

Kind of a shame we never had WWIII with the Commies so they coulda been used for what they were designed for. Shooting up Toyota Hylux trucks and school buses hauling ass out of Kuwait was beneath them.\\Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

schizuki 02-13-2013 05:32 PM

I was driving down a quiet country lane in New Hampshire when three of them screamed over at treetop level. Scared the living shyt out of me.

Overload 02-14-2013 04:58 PM

LONG reach

The pegs are too far forward. I'm short and can't reach them. I'd seriously consider this bike if I could fit it. As mentioned in the article a cheap Diavel.

BrowningBAR 02-15-2013 10:35 AM

Naked and black? It's okay. The fairing and luggage is not attractive. Kind of surprised it is reasonably priced.

Kevin_Duke 02-15-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overload (Post 280179)
The pegs are too far forward. I'm short and can't reach them. I'd seriously consider this bike if I could fit it. As mentioned in the article a cheap Diavel.

I'm surprised the peg position is impossible for you, as shorter riders are part of the audience Honda is trying to reach with this bike. I presume you've already sat on it and tried it on for size. What's your inseam?

Buzglyd 02-15-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 280202)
I'm surprised the peg position is impossible for you, as shorter riders are part of the audience Honda is trying to reach with this bike. I presume you've already sat on it and tried it on for size. What's your inseam?

I don't see the "cheap Diavel" part other than the seating position.

The Diavel is bada$$.

This thing isn't even a little bit bada$$.

The SV650 was inexpensive and a little bada$$. No comparison here.

BrowningBAR 02-15-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 280204)
I don't see the "cheap Diavel" part other than the seating position.

The Diavel is bada$$.

This thing isn't even a little bit bada$$.

The SV650 was inexpensive and a little bada$$. No comparison here.

If the Diavel was made in the mid-80s.

sarnali2 02-15-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 280208)
If the Diavel was made in the mid-80s.

Hey stranger, climbed out of the bunker for a little fresh air eh?

BrowningBAR 02-15-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 280210)
Hey stranger, climbed out of the bunker for a little fresh air eh?

My radiation gauge was stuck.

The_AirHawk 02-16-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 280212)
My radiation gauge was stuck.

Now if only pplasm would pop up, let us know that HE is still kicking.....

Good to see that YOU still are, BTW.

BrowningBAR 02-16-2013 07:35 AM

Still kicking... and screaming.

seruzawa 02-16-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 280219)
Still kicking... and screaming.

(Seruzawa extends periscope) BAR. is that you?

BrowningBAR 02-16-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 280220)
(Seruzawa extends periscope) BAR. is that you?

Aye captain.

trenttheuncatchable 02-19-2013 07:46 AM

Wow. I guess the farmhouse just got Internet access?

seruzawa 02-19-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 280221)
Aye captain.

Excellent.

XO, prepare cruise missile Alpha.