Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20789-2013-sport-touring-shootout-1-0-video.html)

Administrator 01-22-2013 03:45 PM

2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video
 

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//shoot-outs/2013-sporttouring-shootout-10-video-91504.html">2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 01-22-2013 04:29 PM

Surprised
 
The R1200RT is looking better and better.

SpeedwayRN 01-22-2013 04:54 PM

What about the new Triumph???

seruzawa 01-22-2013 07:25 PM

Nice shootout. Honda better do something about that pig of a "sport tourer". (Don't make me laugh). The FJR and Kwacker seem pretty nice.

Still don't see any reason to trade in the Tiger1050 though. 500lbs beats them all by a mile.

Buzglyd 01-22-2013 08:21 PM

I saw a guy test riding a new trophy two days ago. I was riding past the local bmw dealer and though it was an RT until I saw the plate.

It's a shameless ripoff and Triumph should be embarrassed.

Rick84 01-22-2013 11:36 PM

Fjr
 
You guys list the ST1300 fuel capacity as 6.6gal and state that it has "the largest tank" altough that's the same number as the FJR1300. Looking further into it, Honda states the ST1300 has a 7.7gal tank.

2012 ST1300 ABS Specifications - Honda Powersports

Duken4evr 01-23-2013 07:46 AM

Nice test guys. Sounds like Yamaha really listened to FJR owners and addressed what they could with the revamp, while keeping the price in line.

Spent some time on a friend's older FJR, really liked the engine, lots of torque down low, strong all through the range, always ready to rock, but completely usable. It has good smooth power and the right amount of flywheel effect. The "feel" of the power is right and well integrated for the bike's purpose. My friend's older bike handled well, but I ran into dragging footpegs pretty quickly on the mountain roads we were on. Good to see Yamaha addressed that.

I could see buying a clean used '13 FJR down the line at some point. It sounds like a good well balanced and relatively affordable package.

bbtowns 01-23-2013 08:52 AM

Great review
 
Great relevant review of a category that actually might influence a future purchase. I've put a lot of time in on the Kawasaki and older gen FJR, and was a bit surprised at how it came out, but understand the FJR has improved. My take was that the Kawi was way faster when revved, and I kept searching for a 6th on FJR out of habit. Even the dyno chart shows the Kawi making 15 more hp, which was called minute, but is pretty significant, however gearing must make a big difference, and with a shaft drive you get what you get. All these bikes weigh too much, but the FJR was a pretty close match on handling previously, and presume the new model improves that. Just gotta wait for a used one!

Tom Roderick 01-23-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick84 (Post 279730)
You guys list the ST1300 fuel capacity as 6.6gal and state that it has "the largest tank" altough that's the same number as the FJR1300. Looking further into it, Honda states the ST1300 has a 7.7gal tank.

2012 ST1300 ABS Specifications - Honda Powersports

The Honda's fuel capacity was incorrectly listed. It is being corrected to 7.7 gallons.

The Spaceman 01-24-2013 07:39 AM

Oh No LoLo
 
If you guys had the cajones of the Euro-Moto-Journos, you'd ride each bike off a 15' seawall and drop them on a concrete dock. And, you could test rider gear like armored jackets and padded pants by crash landing in a sailboat penispit as each the bike hit the dock.

trenttheuncatchable 01-24-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 279738)
The Honda's fuel capacity was incorrectly listed. It is being corrected to 7.7 gallons.

Does that mean that the mpg's were figured incorrectly as well, or not?

Tom Roderick 01-24-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 279744)
Does that mean that the mpg's were figured incorrectly as well, or not?

All other fuel calculations are correct. When the chart was created the graphic artist mistakenly put the Yamaha's fuel capacity twice. A simple error that was overlooked in the editing process.

sarnali2 01-24-2013 08:52 AM

I like the Connie for it's roominess, it seems to fit me better though I've ridden an ST1300 and was pretty comfy too. I'd like to see how the Trophy fit's amoungst these rigs before I made a decision to buy though.

I'd include the BMW 6 as well but since Buzz already has one I'd hate to appear a sycophant by buying the same bike..

sacamano 01-24-2013 11:41 AM

Can anyone who's ridden these compare them to the BMW R1200 RT?

jmdonald 01-24-2013 02:22 PM

Almost
 
I have ridden/rented a R1200RT a time or two but have not ridden the three bikes mentioned in this article. I have seen all three bikes up close and thought the fit and finish very nice on all three. As far as the R1200RT goes I liked it alot. It's lighter than the other bikes has a 6.6 gal. tank great wind protection and is very comfy.You can get one with almost any extra you might want. The R1200RT definately makes my new top 5..

Tom Roderick 01-24-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacamano (Post 279751)
Can anyone who's ridden these compare them to the BMW R1200 RT?

We are planning a 2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 2.0 story including both the Triumph Trophy SE and BMW R1200RT and the 1.0 story's winner, the Yamaha FJR. Not sure when it'll take place, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

The_AirHawk 01-24-2013 05:11 PM

These are all Crap compared to the PC800: the Real Man's Bike....

Buzglyd 01-25-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 279747)
I like the Connie for it's roominess, it seems to fit me better though I've ridden an ST1300 and was pretty comfy too. I'd like to see how the Trophy fit's amoungst these rigs before I made a decision to buy though.

I'd include the BMW 6 as well but since Buzz already has one I'd hate to appear a sycophant by buying the same bike..

W could come up with some kind of even and odd day schedule. Like we do with the puffy hat.

commsoft 01-25-2013 11:05 AM

Why are we not talking about including the K1600GT as well?

Buzglyd 01-25-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commsoft (Post 279757)
Why are we not talking about including the K1600GT as well?

Because it would be the automatic winner?

And it's 8 grand more than the others?

I've got one. It's in a class of one.

sarnali2 01-25-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 279756)
W could come up with some kind of even and odd day schedule. Like we do with the puffy hat.


Yeah, it's not out of the question......

yarongev 01-25-2013 01:47 PM

missing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 279719)
The R1200RT is looking better and better.

I also feel that the bimmer is missing in the review.
love reading your articles, thank you.
yaron

jmdonald 01-25-2013 01:59 PM

2.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yarongev (Post 279770)
I also feel that the bimmer is missing in the review.
love reading your articles, thank you.
yaron

They are planning a shoot out to include the BMW the Trophy and the FJR. It should be a good one. MO excels at all things.

yarongev 01-25-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacamano (Post 279751)
Can anyone who's ridden these compare them to the BMW R1200 RT?

3 months ago I'v been in europe for 2500 km trip on the ST.
I am riding R1200RT for two years now (after many years on R1150RT), and can compare the two.
the ST feels havier, and lack the stability in high speeds.
it is smoother then the bimmer due to 4 cylinder engine Vs a boxer.
it does not vibrate as much (I don't mind).
I did'nt like the sound of it (like a sawing machine).
good mpg.
good cornering (depends on the driver).
no heating in hands or seat.
good trunk and gloves compartment ( one is lockable).
all in all, the best comparison was when I came back from the trip and got back on my bike...
if you have a spesific question, please feel free to ask.
the bimmer is a better package IMO.
yaron

schizuki 01-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 279742)
If you guys had the cajones of the Euro-Moto-Journos, you'd ride each bike off a 15' seawall and drop them on a concrete dock. And, you could test rider gear like armored jackets and padded pants by crash landing in a sailboat penispit as each the bike hit the dock.

One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.

Kevin_Duke 01-26-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 279788)
One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.

The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)

commsoft 01-26-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 279794)
The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)

I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!

seruzawa 01-26-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commsoft (Post 279797)
I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!

That's a good point because when I visit L.A. with my Tiger I remove the sidecases when I'm planning to lane split. They just stick out too far. And the bike's so damm tall that they are perfect for clipping mirrors.

dan_man 02-26-2013 12:09 AM

Best weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range. That makes the Honda ST1300 the winner in my book. The ST1300 seems to be downgraded for nothing more than it's weight. Having toured for 10 years on a VFR800 and fearing for my life more than once in the seemingly ever present cross winds of eastern Washington state, I much prefer the stability that the weight of my ST1300 gives me now. I also use GIVI's largest top case and haven't had any stability issues with the ST1300.

sarnali2 02-26-2013 08:44 AM

If it's road holding weight you're after there's only one clear choice.......

Kevin_Duke 02-26-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_man (Post 280403)
Best weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range. That makes the Honda ST1300 the winner in my book.

And that's perfectly understandable. However, the Honda finished last in our Grin Factor category, and that's an important aspect of a bike to many riders. It would be interesting to hear your comments if you had a chance to take a new FJR out for a long ride.

dan_man 02-27-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 280411)
And that's perfectly understandable. However, the Honda finished last in our Grin Factor category, and that's an important aspect of a bike to many riders. It would be interesting to hear your comments if you had a chance to take a new FJR out for a long ride.

Your priorities change when you get older. Grin factor might make the FJR and C14 better sportbikes, but touring for most means lots of interstate miles and the better weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range, in addition to a smoother motor on the highway than the FJR, make the ST1300 a more touring focused bike and therefore in my opinion a better tourer.

dan_man 02-27-2013 01:11 AM

How the heck do you delete a post on here?

Kevin_Duke 02-27-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_man (Post 280422)
Your priorities change when you get older. Grin factor might make the FJR and C14 better sportbikes, but touring for most means lots of interstate miles and the better weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range, in addition to a smoother motor on the highway than the FJR, make the ST1300 a more touring focused bike and therefore in my opinion a better tourer.

Yep, I think we can all agree the ST is the better tourer of this group. Whether it's the best sport-tourer depends on how one intends to use it. :)

The_AirHawk 02-27-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 280434)
Yep, I think we can all agree the ST is the better tourer of this group. Whether it's the best sport-tourer depends on how one intends to use it. :)

K-Duke isn't yet what we refer to as an "Old Man on a 'Wing". Yet.

But his day is coming - Oh, yes......

>rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling maniacally<

seruzawa 02-27-2013 06:49 PM

While the ST is certainly a nice bike it's kind of dumb to call it a sport tourer. No +700lb bike is.

Kevin_Duke 02-27-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 280442)
K-Duke isn't yet what we refer to as an "Old Man on a 'Wing". Yet.

But his day is coming - Oh, yes......

>rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling maniacally<

Well, thank god that day hasn't yet come! I find acting like a teenager helps keep me young. ;)

Kevin_Duke 02-27-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 280447)
Well, thank god that day hasn't yet come!

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

dan_man 11-12-2013 10:40 PM

Confused
 
The ST1300 had better comfort, weather protection, mileage, range, and to top it off, handling. So what exactly did the FJR1300 do better? go faster in a straight line?

motobriiz 11-19-2013 05:21 AM

For me it would be the FJR. Honda really needs updating and just don't like the looks of the Concours. Pretty good review.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.