Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Resilire
Registered Member

Default Deciding My Bike

I'm having a hard time deciding what I want my first motorcycle to be. I like cruisers because they're easier to ride and more comfortable than sport bikes, but I also like the sportier looks of the sport bikes. I know I don't want to go off-road much, so I don't want a dirt or dual-purpose bike.

I don't know what all is out there, but so far I've learned about the Honda Nighthawk 750. This bike is a perfect cross between cruiser and sport, the only problem here is Honda stopped manufacturing these (at least in the US) in 2003, so finding one that's in good enough condition may take a while.

So anyway, what do you guys think I should get? What other bikes that would fit my wants/needs are out there? Thanks in advance.

Here's some extra info: I'm 5' 9", 140 pounds, a newbie, on a $5,000 budget and would prefer anything 500cc or above. I'm more than willing to buy the bike used.

Last edited by Resilire; 05-15-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Resilire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Nighthawk 750s are pretty much bulletproof. They're also relatively inexpensive (I just did a craigslist milwaukee search, and someone is selling a "low miles" 1991 for $1900).

They are a bit heavy for a first bike, but if you've taken the MSF course and take it to the parking lot for practicing slow speed maneuvers and quick stops, you should be okay.

I would still recommend an older Ninja 250 as your first bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Resilire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Nighthawk 750s are pretty much bulletproof. They're also relatively inexpensive (I just did a craigslist milwaukee search, and someone is selling a "low miles" 1991 for $1900).

They are a bit heavy for a first bike, but if you've taken the MSF course and take it to the parking lot for practicing slow speed maneuvers and quick stops, you should be okay.

I would still recommend an older Ninja 250 as your first bike.
Alright, and I will be taking the MSF course before I purchase my bike. Thanks for the input.

Also, what do you mean by bulletproof (what makes this bike strong)? And do you know if there is a huge difference between models from 1991-2003?

Last edited by Resilire; 05-15-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilire View Post
So anyway, what do you guys think I should get? What other bikes that would fit my wants/needs are out there? Thanks in advance.
Please read the other threads here on this same subject.

It seems that I am repeating this exact same message on here about once a day lately.

Maybe I should cut and paste......or maybe new users should actually READ a few posts before jumping in and asking the same question yet again.

Standard newbie advice:
Used.
Small.
Inexpensive
Not a lot of plastic body work.
A ~8 to 10 year old bike of 750 CCs or less in good shape can be had for $3K or less. Actually 500 CCs or less is even better.

Your first bike won't be your last.....hopefully.....so you should concentrate on a good training bike......whether you particularly like the style or not. It should fit you good physically. Don't rule out anything of the proper size just because you don't like the "look".
You can get what you really want for your next bike.......in a year or so.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Resilire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Please read the other threads here on this same subject.

It seems that I am repeating this exact same message on here about once a day lately.

Maybe I should cut and paste......or maybe new users should actually READ a few posts before jumping in and asking the same question yet again.

Standard newbie advice:
Used.
Small.
Inexpensive
Not a lot of plastic body work.
A ~8 to 10 year old bike of 750 CCs or less in good shape can be had for $3K or less. Actually 500 CCs or less is even better.

Your first bike won't be your last.....hopefully.....so you should concentrate on a good training bike......whether you particularly like the style or not. It should fit you good physically. Don't rule out anything of the proper size just because you don't like the "look".
You can get what you really want for your next bike.......in a year or so.
I have read the other threads. I'm not looking for a begginer's bike.

Though I am considering starting off smaller, this thread is about the bike I will be riding for at least a decade.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
I have read the other threads. I'm not looking for a begginer's bike.

Though I am considering starting off smaller, this thread is about the bike I will be riding for at least a decade.
Every non-experienced rider thinks that way. It's not realistic. But you (or any other beginner) won't know any better until you actually get experience.

When I said it was bulletproof, I was talking about the engine.

There's not a lot of difference between the different years. See Nighthawk 750 and 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Easy Rider 2

For now, you ARE a beginner and you NEED a beginners bike.
The first sentence in your first post is somewhat different than your last answer.
Quote:
I'm having a hard time deciding what I want my first motorcycle to be.
Which IS it ??

Quote:
Well if that is the case.......then the question is WAY premature, since what WE think is largely immaterial because what YOU think after you get some riding experience is way more important.

If you let anyone else tell you what bike is right for you after you have some real riding experience......you would be a fool and probably sorry for it later.

Some people get along just fine with a bigger bike but usually have a longer learining curve. Some don't do well at all with a bigger bike to start. It is a BIG gamble.

P.S. Not many riders I know keep a bike over 10 years. Trading up and swapping around is half the fun. In my almost 45 year riding career, I've never owned a bike for close to 10 years........and none of them have been over 600 CCs.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2; 05-15-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
testcase
Founding Member

I definitely would recommend going to sit on a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It's sport bikey but has more of a standard sitting position then a race replica or whatever. You might find it comfortable. I did. Also, you'll be able to pick up a decent used one and it's love for beginners.

You WILL not have a bike for a decade. I mean.. WHY?? You can sell them and buy a new one for minimal investments. It's part of the awesomeness of owning a bike. I swap bikes about every year. It's great. I walk into Big Dog Choppers and see them offering ten year loans and I laugh my ass off.

And if you DO try to do it (which I still maintain is crazy talk), the Ninja 250 is a great bike to own. It's PURE fun in a tight package. One of life's great pleasures is passing someone on a bigger "real bike" in the twisties on one. Plus, you'll sell it for what you bought it for (or really close to it) so it'll be basically square one anyway. So just go try one!

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
cubism
Registered Member

Wink My recommendation

I recommend the CB series of HONDA as your first motorbike.
In Japan, CB400 is used in a driving school. So CB400 is standard motorbike and easy to handle. And the engine made in Japan is a strong structure, so you can enjoy riding for a long time !
(2011 CBR1000RR Overview - Honda Powersports)

I have a motorbike made by HONDA, "SuperCub"(Cub Series Honda Worldwide Site). This machine is very popular and is used by the police, the mailer and the banker and more in Japan!
If you come to want to buy the second machine as a means of transportation at your neighborhood , I strongly recommend it.
cubism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The CB400 would be a good starter bike. Unfortunately, it's not available here in the U.S.