Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 BMW K1600GT and GTL Six-cylinder Unveiled (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/16697-2012-bmw-k1600gt-gtl-six-cylinder-unveiled.html)

Administrator 10-13-2010 01:46 PM

2012 BMW K1600GT and GTL Six-cylinder Unveiled

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//manufacturer/bmw/2012-bmw-k1600gt-and-gtl-sixcylinder-unveiled-90041.html">2012 BMW K1600GT and GTL Six-cylinder Unveiled</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 BMW K1600GT and GTL Six-cylinder Unveiled in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 10-13-2010 01:54 PM

Seems a shame to develop a 6 cylinder bike and then not offer a naked version... with 6 into 6 exhausts.

MTRHEAD75 10-13-2010 02:10 PM

I have had a concept 6 picture as my desktop since the day they released photos of it....I really hope they turn it into k bike without changing to much of the concept...that is if they do...Ill even sacrafice someones harley to the bike gods if it helps.

Buzglyd 10-13-2010 02:22 PM

The covered bike typically comes out before the naked.

Probably takes them a while to hide all that plumbing.

seruzawa 10-13-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 250792)
The covered bike typically comes out before the naked.

Probably takes them a while to hide all that plumbing.

Why would anyone want to hide it? It's a 6 fer crissakes!

Buzglyd 10-13-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 250793)
Why would anyone want to hide it? It's a 6 fer crissakes!

I think you release the high-profit model first and then come out with the model all the journos and "enthusiasts" love but don't buy.

jmdonald 10-13-2010 03:05 PM

Damn!

Saw the Jay's Garage unvale and even at 700lbs. I want one (a GT that is).A dedicated touring bike is on my list of five and this will fit the bill nicely.It will be interesting to see how the market responds.Competition may allow for some seriously upgraded offerings from the other OEM's.What a grand age we live in.

Kevin_Duke 10-13-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 250796)
I think you release the high-profit model first and then come out with the model all the journos and "enthusiasts" love but don't buy.

Funny and insightful. What are you doing here...?

Kevin_Duke 10-13-2010 05:33 PM

How many years do you think it'll take before some crazy backyard genius grafts on a second cylinder bank to create a V-12. It probably wouldn't work in a motorcycle, but a torquey 3.3-liter V-12 making 300 horses would be a kick in something like an Ariel Atom!

jmdonald 10-13-2010 06:53 PM

Or

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 250808)
How many years do you think it'll take before some crazy backyard genius grafts on a second cylinder bank to create a V-12. It probably wouldn't work in a motorcycle, but a torquey 3.3-liter V-12 making 300 horses would be a kick in something like an Ariel Atom!

A Lotus Elise.

mikedard 10-13-2010 11:57 PM

BMW what were you thinking?

Originally I was under the impression that the K1600GT & GTL was going to be a separate line replacing the K1200LT, leaving us the K1300GT. I thought that was a great idea! But the K1300's series is done at the end of 2010. That leaves a huge gap between the S1000RR and the K1600's. I don't even consider their R1200RT's Sport Touring or Gran Turismo bikes. The K1600's are huge bikes. I couldn't believe it but I did see one today in San Francisco. It looks like a GIANT California Highway Patrol motorcycle bike! It's 700 lbs plus and it's TALL and it looks HEAVY. Plus it's ugly, a mutation, looks like a puzzle picture of a LARGE motorcycle with pieces of the picture missing where the fairing should be, in the place of the missing fairing is the outside cylinder block. They're so titillated with themselves over the 6 cyl they stuck it out of the side of the fairing. BMW what were you thinking? You just dumped your complete Sport Touring line?

If I can't get a GT=Sport Touring bike from BMW I'll replace my K1200GT with the Honda, or Connie. Oh I don't believe I said that but that's how pissed I'm at BMW for being this stupid.

Hmmm wow thank you BMW I'm thinking you made up my mind for me and I'll saved about $10,000's not buying your Monstrous GT.

acecycleins 10-14-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 250808)

Some crazy Austrian is working sercetly on a power cruiser as we speak.

MTRHEAD75 10-14-2010 07:34 AM

That would be so sweet in a atom.......Or a smart car!!! just for giggles.

mikedard 10-14-2010 08:56 AM

That would be sweet, but, I'm ready to replace my BMW now. I'm still pissed.

seruzawa 10-14-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedard (Post 250850)
That would be sweet, but, I'm ready to replace my BMW now. I'm still pissed.

If you like the K1300GT then just get one now. Maybe BMW will bring it back when the buyers don't fall for their ploy to try to force them to buy the 1600.

mikedard 10-14-2010 09:08 AM

Power Cruiser?

OK so they're working on something else now, but, I'm ready to replace my BMW now. With a Sport Touring bike. Their GT's originally equaled Sport Touring my style, I'm still pissed. I doubt if you can split-lanes (it's legal in California) with the K1600. Being able to do that is a must.

mikedard 10-14-2010 09:17 AM

Will think about it

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 250851)
If you like the K1300GT then just get one now. Maybe BMW will bring it back when the buyers don't fall for their ploy to try to force them to buy the 1600.

Yes I'll have to decide if I purchase the K1300GT now. I didn't want a discontinued bike. But now they better offer them at a better discount. Wow, I'll now have to look at and ride the Honda VFR, and the Connie. I not going to favor BMW.

bbtowns 10-14-2010 09:43 AM

Just can't believe how heavy and expensive this is. $30K for a nearly 800 lb. sport tourer with bags!? Does make the Concours, available at around $10K a model year old, a hell of a deal.

Kevin_Duke 10-14-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedard (Post 250813)
Originally I was under the impression that the K1600GT & GTL was going to be a separate line replacing the K1200LT, leaving us the K1300GT. I thought that was a great idea! But the K1300's series is done at the end of 2010. That leaves a huge gap between the S1000RR and the K1600's. I don't even consider their R1200RT's Sport Touring or Gran Turismo bikes. The K1600's are huge bikes. I couldn't believe it but I did see one today in San Francisco. It looks like a GIANT California Highway Patrol motorcycle bike! It's 700 lbs plus and it's TALL and it looks HEAVY. Plus it's ugly, a mutation, looks like a puzzle picture of a LARGE motorcycle with pieces of the picture missing where the fairing should be, in the place of the missing fairing is the outside cylinder block. They're so titillated with themselves over the 6 cyl they stuck it out of the side of the fairing. BMW what were you thinking? You just dumped your complete Sport Touring line?

If I can't get a GT=Sport Touring bike from BMW I'll replace my K1200GT with the Honda, or Connie. Oh I don't believe I said that but that's how pissed I'm at BMW for being this stupid.

Hmmm wow thank you BMW I'm thinking you made up my mind for me and I'll saved about $10,000's not buying your Monstrous GT.

Hang on there, Mike! BMW has a wide range of S-Ts still available. The K1300GT will be replaced by the K1600GT, but the K1300S will continue. So, the BMW S-T category can be filled with the K13-S, F800ST, R-series Boxers and K1600GT. Does any other OEM offer such a full range of sport-tourers?

Kevin_Duke 10-14-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 250858)
Just can't believe how heavy and expensive this is. $30K for a nearly 800 lb. sport tourer with bags!? Does make the Concours, available at around $10K a model year old, a hell of a deal.

So you want to compare a year-old bike that has already been updated with a brand-new exotic six-cylinder bike not even available yet?

BTW, a 2011 C-14 w/ABS lists for $15,600, and it has a curb weight of 688 lbs.

bbtowns 10-14-2010 10:04 AM

Just can't believe how heavy and expensive this is. $30K for a nearly 800 lb. sport tourer with bags!? Does make the Concours, available at around $10K a model year old, a hell of a deal. Would love a moderately priced sport tourer from BMW, don't need most of the high end electronics they seem to find a reason to install.

Kevin_Duke 10-14-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 250861)
Would love a moderately priced sport tourer from BMW, don't need most of the high end electronics they seem to find a reason to install.

F800ST: 450 lbs, $10,900. And a surprise winner when compared with the VFR800.

Buzglyd 10-14-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedard (Post 250852)
OK so they're working on something else now, but, I'm ready to replace my BMW now. With a Sport Touring bike. Their GT's originally equaled Sport Touring my style, I'm still pissed. I doubt if you can split-lanes (it's legal in California) with the K1600. Being able to do that is a must.

I've split lanes on a Geezer Glide and my current K1300GT.

No problema.

mikedard 10-14-2010 01:34 PM

That's my point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 250859)
Hang on there, Mike! BMW has a wide range of S-Ts still available. The K1300GT will be replaced by the K1600GT, but the K1300S will continue. So, the BMW S-T category can be filled with the K13-S, F800ST, R-series Boxers and K1600GT. Does any other OEM offer such a full range of sport-tourers?

Why are they dropping the 1200-1300cc multi cyl. line? I don't mean to brush off the boxers and R 1200 RT's, but for the sport touring=GT they're weak. They have their place, but trans america fast touring, autobahn type touring, fast sweeping mountain pass highways, great basin mountains, Continental Divide. Hard to beat the K-bikes idea of sport touring=GT.

I did see the K1600GTL yesterday in San Francisco it was a off chance sighting, but it looked BIG, I would think twice splitting lanes with it, it was taller than a goldwing not as long. It looked it should have a big pole sticking up vertical in the rear with a blue flashing light in some motorcade going down the road in Europe.

The video of the K1600GT making turns on the mountain roads looks like if they leaned it over anymore it would drag.

I have saved to buy this spring, but I'll buy now and save a lot of money not buying a K1600. Honda, Yamaha, they've built nice 6 cyl. engines. The way they styled the K1600 looks to me like BMW got a little bit full of themselves over this 6 and it's gadgets. I didn't expect this from ie german engineers. I was hoping for a K1300GT sized 6 cyl., sleek, big motor, full fairing, seating about like the K1300GT.

Can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need, just no longer from BMW! I'll cool off

mikedard 10-14-2010 01:41 PM

Yes. Go for it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 250863)
I've split lanes on a Geezer Glide and my current K1300GT.

No problema.

Everyone moves over for a Geezer Glide. Hmmm maybe they'll move over thinking the K1600 is some new style CHP bike?

Dr_Sprocket 10-14-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 250862)
F800ST: 450 lbs, $10,900. And a surprise winner when compared with the VFR800.

The F800ST is more than enough bike for a single rider -- plenty of power and relatively light. I'm not sure if it has enough room for two-up riding, however. It's hard to argue against it when you compare price and performance.

mikedard 10-15-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 250880)
The F800ST is more than enough bike for a single rider -- plenty of power and relatively light. I'm not sure if it has enough room for two-up riding, however. It's hard to argue against it when you compare price and performance.

Nice bike good commuter, sport touring-short trips coast highways etc., great price, not a GT too weak, period.

mikedard 10-15-2010 08:28 AM

Twisty's, Short Trip's, nice price

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 250880)

Nice bike, great looking, have to say this great looking fairing, good commuter, sport touring-short trips coast highways etc., great price, not a GT too weak, period. Blanket statement more than enough bike for a single rider... in your opinion. For me the F800ST it's a twin! Just my opinion.

seruzawa 10-15-2010 10:02 AM

I like GTs but the problem I see with them is that if you really try to use the capability you are too likely to spend your evening in the Crowbar Hotel rather than the Great Western. Tigers, RTs and such do 90 all day just as well.

mikedard 10-15-2010 03:45 PM

That's pretty close to reality! Sometimes to close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 250913)
I like GTs but the problem I see with them is that if you really try to use the capability you are too likely to spend your evening in the Crowbar Hotel rather than the Great Western. Tigers, RTs and such do 90 all day just as well.

Some states never ever, some you have to ask the locals, always be carefull in the Jordan Valley, Oregon, US Highway 95. Even Nevada is getting touchy, never go through it on a weekend, or when the Reno motorcycle event is happening. Any other time you can drive like the locals if you can keep up with them! But and as I get older and they get newer equipment... You're right.

mikedard 10-15-2010 04:01 PM

Anybody else see this?

Ok this is strange I'm looking through photos of the K1600GT and GTL down on the very bottom of the page.
BMW K1600GT and K1600GTL: not-a-car officially unveiled | Hell for Leather
And the left and right sides of the bottom half of the fairing is different from each other.

mikedard 10-17-2010 10:03 PM

Seconds thoughts, reality hits.

If anyone has been following this tread you'll remember I said I'd buy a Honda before I'd buy a K1600. I went down to test a VRF1200DCT yesterday. Nice looking bike but after you put luggage, center stand, HID, larger windscreen, Laminar lip, bar backs, grip heaters, and a new seat with a heater, it's as much as a K1300, more negatives a smaller tank and poor fuel economy. I said I have a K1200 and it time to buy another bike, and that I wanted to take a test ride first. The salesman stated we're not like the other guys you've been used to. You have to have all the paperwork done after you've purchased it you can ride it. If you don't like it we'll tear up the paperwork! I'm sorry I have to ride the bike before I buy it. Never mind.

Are all Honda Dealers like that?

seruzawa 10-18-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedard (Post 251012)
If anyone has been following this tread you'll remember I said I'd buy a Honda before I'd buy a K1600. I went down to test a VRF1200DCT yesterday. Nice looking bike but after you put luggage, center stand, HID, larger windscreen, Laminar lip, bar backs, grip heaters, and a new seat with a heater, it's as much as a K1300, more negatives a smaller tank and poor fuel economy. I said I have a K1200 and it time to buy another bike, and that I wanted to take a test ride first. The salesman stated we're not like the other guys you've been used to. You have to have all the paperwork done after you've purchased it you can ride it. If you don't like it we'll tear up the paperwork! I'm sorry I have to ride the bike before I buy it. Never mind.

Are all Honda Dealers like that?

Pretty much all Japanese bike dealers are like that. And they call Harley riders "sheep". LOL! You can guarantee that every person you see on a new Japanese bike bought it without riding it. Gives a real meaning to the word "sheep".

Kevin_Duke 10-18-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 251021)
Pretty much all Japanese bike dealers are like that. And they call Harley riders "sheep". LOL! You can guarantee that every person you see on a new Japanese bike bought it without riding it. Gives a real meaning to the word "sheep".

I like this policy. It forces people to read my reviews! :cool:

MTRHEAD75 10-18-2010 08:03 PM

Hey I dont call harley riders sheep I call them cows cause they are covered in leather and follow the herd...sheeesh...Just kidding..Kinda...sorta...no not really..

seruzawa 10-18-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 251062)
I like this policy. It forces people to read my reviews! :cool:

Or it ends up having people like me buy a Triumph because they let me ride some bikes without a hassle.

sarnali2 10-19-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 251069)
Or it ends up having people like me buy a Triumph because they let me ride some bikes without a hassle.

Yerp, there's a big difference between bouncing up and down on the seat in the showroom and actually getting out and spending half an hour riding the bike.

Road tests and reviews are helpful but the differences in physical size, riding skill and riding environment make them a small part of the decision making process at best.

Kevin_Duke 10-19-2010 08:28 AM

Agreed. All dealers should allow test rides, especially in these gloomy times when the sale of a couple of bikes could mean the difference between being in the black or in the red.

Kevin_Duke 10-19-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 251073)
Yerp, there's a big difference between bouncing up and down on the seat in the showroom and actually getting out and spending half an hour riding the bike.

Road tests and reviews are helpful but the differences in physical size, riding skill and riding environment make them a small part of the decision making process at best.

Agreed. All dealers should allow test rides, especially in these gloomy times when the sale of a couple of bikes could mean the difference between being in the black or in the red.

seruzawa 10-19-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 251085)

Back in the 60s the local Honda and Yamaha dealers around Torrance Ca had demonstrators for some of the more popular bikes. It's not impossible and the bikes can be written off. I think it's false economy to not allow test rides. Sure, you'd have to exercise judgment, i.e. not hand a Gixxer to a 16 year old. But asking someone to hand out $16+ large for a bike you won't let them ride loses sales I'd bet. I know they have lots of excuses, but BMW and Triumph dealers can manage to give give test rides. No reason the others couldn't.

Maybe that's part of the reason why some companies are selling more bikes even in this economy while others are sucking hind.....