Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   A tid bit green (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12475-tid-bit-green.html)

guitarfreak8188 07-08-2009 10:14 AM

A tid bit green

Hey, I've poked around the site and found some already very helpful advice in choosing my first bike. I've done my homework and I have narrowed down my choices to several bikes. I hope you guys can help me out.

I've taken a basic rider course, and gotten my license not two weeks ago. Aside from that, I really don't have any street riding experience.

My boss got a VFR as his first bike, and he says I can't go wrong with that. I've read its a nice steady increase in speed, not twitchy like say an R6, which got me excited. I also read about the breaking system which seems to have everything you could ask for. The only reason I think I may have an issue with this bike, is the weight. I suppose I don't really know how much this would affect my riding.

Now the bike I have been leaning for is the SV650 (looking at both 02 and 09 which are currently available). I read the bike is also a great starter bike with a smooth acceleration. I also read the bike is high on the comfort scale, much like the VFR.

Either bike new are a tad pricey, but I know I won't get bored with them within the next couple years. So the issue here is I don't know if I would be jumping the gun with the VFR, or if the SV is too conservative.

I am planning on riding the bike I purchase for recreation. Highways, back roads, country side riding are all interesting to me.

Thanks for all your help in advanced!

acecycleins 07-08-2009 10:36 AM

VFR's are nice, but the weight and technology are better than 10 yo- three bike generations. If you buy one get a used 2001-2004 model. SV's are great- yet simple machines. Again, buy used.
Personally, I would lean toward the SV as your entry bike. Easy to learn on, easy to ride, easy to ride hard when the experience comes, easy to off when you're ready to move up and easy to turn into a trackday weapon if you keep it and buy something different.
VFR's are like any other sport tour style bike- great all around motorcycle that has an audience of 1- you. If you need to sell it in a pinch you'll be disappointed at your responses from Craigslist. It's like buying an old BMW K bike. Everyone likes them- no one buys them.
Good luck to you young grasshopper.

The_AirHawk 07-08-2009 10:36 AM

I'd choose the SV over the Viffer, and a HawkGT over the SV. I even know where you could get a good Hawk for about $2500.

If you're really interested, I'll facilitate the info-swap.

sarnali2 07-08-2009 10:53 AM

The problem with the VFR aside from weight is the bodywork. The first time you knock it over you're looking at serious bucks to replace it, any faired bike for that matter. The SV would be the better choice based on that alone.

guitarfreak8188 07-08-2009 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go with the SV. I just wanted to ask some of the pros before I purchased the VFR, and I will... after I get some more experience with the SV

Kenneth_Moore 07-08-2009 01:03 PM

Good call. The viffer is too much bike for a noob. It's so easy to ride over your head they'd be scraping you off a verticle surface within a week. The SV will be fun, and you won't outgrow it quickly.

longride 07-08-2009 03:50 PM

"I just wanted to ask some of the pros before I purchased the VFR,.."

Then why would you ask these clowns?

mscuddy 07-08-2009 04:43 PM

Nooo Laddie Dona Do It! Git Yerself A Nice Triumph Cub! And Some Spare Parts Too!

tripleripple 07-08-2009 10:11 PM

Holy Lord. I think we've just had a successful first-bike thread. An intelligent poster, did everything right to prepare for riding, narrowed his choices down to two sane bikes, and went with the sage advice of seasoned riders. Shut down the site.

trenttheuncatchable 07-09-2009 08:05 AM

If he was really green he'd get a Kawi 500R. In green.