Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

To put it simply, downshifting is the reverse sequence of upshifting. Take an MSF class before you ride your Rebel on the street.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
spqrbird

Default Down shifting

So ive never ridden a motorcycle but i own a Hona Ruckus scooter, i was wondering about down shifting a motorcycle, is it the same as shifting up, you just hold the clutch in and kick it into gear....might buy a honda rebel but dont want to if its too hard to shift.
spqrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Most 'real' motorcycles have the shifter on the left side, and use the following pattern (from Neutral):

1 click down for 1st gear, then lift the peg to get either Neutral again, or all the way up to get 2nd though Top gear with repeated clicks.

A bike transmission is a sequential shifter, which means, unlike a manual shift car, you've got to progress thought the gears. You cannot go from 5th to first, for instance.

+1 on the MSF course. Preferably on a rented bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Yeah, take the MSF course. Although, if you're thinking that a motorcycle might not be for you just because you have to learn to shift, then maybe it's not for you.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
sfcdjevans

I was fortuante in that I learned to shift on M's, H's, Super M's ect... but I digress. Learn to shift, your life will be richer for the effort. You'll enjoy operating motor vehicles much more no matter what your goal, performance or economy. It'll also be a useful skill operating imported Soviet farm equipment in the future.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote