Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #51
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
And they get to sell twice as many rear hubs! (ducking)
BMW sell a superiour product designed and manufactured to higher standards. Any componant failure can be traced to incorrect/inadequate maintenance or improper use/abuse by unqualified owners.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #52
Copper

Default Cheaper, but by how much?

I own a S3. Figure at least another $1500 in suspension upgrades (go to TriumphRat and see for yourself). The rear shock has awful high speed compression damping and is apparently sprung for folks that are 200+ lbs.

Shame really, after all this development, you'd think they'd buy a proper shock from Showa. But we 'mericans love our motors, so Triumph gets a pass, which is a wonder from motorcycle magazines who should say more about this than the cursory sentence that Pete threw in there.

Buell: Quirky bike, and great if you like quirky.
Triumph: Peach of a motor with budget springs.
Tuono: Great bike, just hope it doesn't break.
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #53
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

Not mentioned, but the Tuono has a two year warranty as standard and the Rotax has a reputation for being totally bulletproof (the ignition wiring is another story... type "the aprilia brown connector" in google). Takes the sting out of the "just hope it doesn't break" argument, I think.

The Triumph's competition problems go a little deeper than springs, the chassis/frame just isn't up to track duty. From my riding of the 1050 version, it just turns into a 1980s flexi-flier at track speeds. At all but truly stupid road speeds, you will rarely notice. This is why I say that the Street Triple is actually a better bike than the Speed Triple in many ways - it will not let you down in any task unless effortless wheelies are your thing.

You're right about the damping of the S3's rear shock, too. The standard Tuono also has some issues with high speed compression but it is a somewhat better shock (both Sachs, IIRC). This is where the Factory version of the Tuono really shines; if you have the extra coin it is money well spent.

Wish I had some more time on the 1125R I rode, or better yet the updated version. The 2008 version seemed like a great bike in search of (a lot of) polish.
2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote