Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Waze and Meanz

The kid and I took a road trip up to NC the past couple weeks. Before we left I downloaded Waze on the Android. I figured if it's worth a billion bucks to Google and free for me, why not?

It's really pretty damn neat. It does provide basic GPS functionality, but that's not it's best feature. I'll stick with Garmin for that. Here's what it does:

You start by creating a Waze account, or you can link to your Facebook or other "social media" accounts.

After logging in, you enter your route, or let Waze build a route for you as usual with GPS.

Once you're on the road, you keep the app open as you travel. Other Waze users along the same route are also logged in. As everyone travels along, they enter data points such as cops with radar, accidents, traffic tie-ups, cameras,donut shops, etc. As you approach each "hazard," you get a heads-up warning from a mile, 1/2 mile, etc. If a hazard is gone, such as a "hidden police" has left his lair, you can update the system as needed. In SC we avoided at least 6 speed traps with the system. We were also warned of accidents, broken down cars, and traffic jams.

There is also a "CB" function that lets you chat online with other Wazers if you want to. We didn't use that feature.

Waze says if you stay logged in while you run your commute or other regular routes, it can build a database to enhance your trip, using online data as well as user inputs. I might give this a try.

Downside: it's pretty distracting. It was great with the kid in the car, but I'm not sure it would be possible to do updates if driving alone. You can get audible updates of other people's input though, and if you have bluetooth in your helmet, it would work for warnings.

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Tried it. Buggy. Hated it. Might be better now. Not gonna bother findin' out.

Don't givashyt for "my fellow man" out on the roads - everybody's an Idiot (including myself, BTW).

Glad you and the Boy were able to have a "Road Trip" together, me an' my Ol' Man would probably have killed one-another. I still miss him.

Ain't got no rugrats O' my own, just a buncha Nieces an' one Nephew. Someday, Ima get that boy on a lil' motobike....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Nsa

The NSA is keeping a record including video of your trip. Waze has also been linked to mind control. Did you suffer any blackouts? I mean other than your usual ones? If so you may have been given an implant.

Last edited by jmdonald; 06-24-2013 at 07:22 PM..
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Any Hemirroidal problems? Farting Fire? Strange behaviour including bursting-into/out of Song and Dance for no apparent reason? Very Large Array protruding from your arse at odd times of the night?

Better Call Saul!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
The NSA is keeping a record including video of your trip. Waze has also been linked to mind control. Did you suffer any blackouts? I mean other than your usual ones? If so you may have been given an implant.
I wonder if they videoed the bear digging through our food? Maybe I could order it online like the Tail of the Dragon photos from Killboy.com.

I have three implants already (wrist, neck, and hip). Haven't had a blackout in ages...all of mine were directly related to excessive alcohol consumption.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

Sounds like a great trip!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Sounds like a great trip!
It really was. We tent-camped in the Cherokee National Forest, rode horses along mountain trails, went whitewater rafting and zip-lining, even took a helicopter tour. My favorite part though was driving the wheels off the Mini on the Cherohala Skyway. The Dragon is cool no doubt, but the Skyway is off the charts. It's like the road engineers sat down and designed the "perfect road" for driving excitement, terrain, and scenery. And unlike the Dragon, there was almost no traffic, no cops, and it goes for 43 miles. One perfect switchback after another, hopping from one side of the mountain range to the other.

Cherohala Skyway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't wait to go back with the CB!

Last edited by The Spaceman; 06-26-2013 at 07:00 AM..
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Use some rope to throw over a tree branch and then pull the food up above the ground where the bears can't reach. They'll go bother someone else. Having a 12 gauge to protect one's kids is a good idea too. Who knows what bears are going to do?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Use some rope to throw over a tree branch and then pull the food up above the ground where the bears can't reach. They'll go bother someone else. Having a 12 gauge to protect one's kids is a good idea too. Who knows what bears are going to do?
When I was my son's age, my Dad took us camping in Yellowstone. There were bears all over the campgrounds back then, and the place was in an uproar over a bear attack that had just happened. The story was that some idiot parent wanted pictures of a bear with their kid, so they smeared honey on the kids' face. The bear started licking the honey off, the kid got scared and tried to pull away, and then the bear got annoyed and ripped the kid's face off.

While we were there a bear went right into our VW camper and ate all our Oreos. Didn't touch anything else, just the Oreos. ****ing bears.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman
While we were there a bear went right into our VW camper and ate all our Oreos. Didn't touch anything else, just the Oreos. ****ing bears.
No Milk to dip 'em in?

Animal....