Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Honda 750 (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/17834-honda-750-a.html)

Morbo the Destroyer 03-15-2011 01:58 PM

Honda 750
 
In my never-ending quest for stupid ways to spend my money, I browse Craig's List and Cycle Trader. I came across this:

83 honda interceptor vf750f

I talked to the owner and he said it runs well, it's all there, and the only thing he knows of as far as issues with the bike is a bad fuel shut off valve with a name that sounds like slang for a male body part.

Any of you MoFos know any thing about these bikes? I had an '02 VFR, but of course that was a very different machine.

The_AirHawk 03-15-2011 02:08 PM

I don't know about the 750s - but the early 500s had a problem with the "catch" on the main wiring-harness connector breaking and causing the bike to shut-off while you were riding along (due to the connector no-longer making contact). I've seen 3 of them over the years do that. Solution is silicone grease in all the connector-contacts, and "safety wire" it with a couple of zip-ties.

Some of them supposedly had problems with the camshafts eating their bearing-surfaces. I don't know which, and I have no experience, and heard from no owner with that problem.

I'm amazed there are any of these left: I assumed they had all died-out quietly by the end of the Grungozoic Era, about 440,000,000 seconds-ago......

pplassm 03-16-2011 11:09 AM

My brother and I both had one in the last several years. His spun a bearing, and mine had the bad camshaft problem.

Luckily, we got them cheap, and recouped our investment by selling the parts on ebay.

I do not know if that is indicative of that particular bike, but I won't go near one again.

Morbo the Destroyer 03-16-2011 11:26 AM

Hmm 2 for 2...

sarnali2 03-16-2011 02:28 PM

They are massively cool bikes IMO, really at the start of the Sportbike revolution along with the GPZ Kawasaki and GSXR Suzuki. That said they had significant problems with camshaft pitting and bearing failures and Honda's perennial crappy V four stators and regulator/rectifiers. I put a lot of miles on a 1984 V65 Sabre and it had the same issues crop up. They're fun and cool but unless it's almost free there are better bikes out there from that era

Morbo the Destroyer 03-17-2011 07:10 AM

Thanks for the alternative perspective Sarnali. I have an interest in the VFR line in general, because in many ways they have been the platform for some real innovations in motorcycles.

The bike is a grand, which sure ain't cheap. I'm going to go look at it, but if it's an old, whupped dawg, it'll stay in the trailer park. If it's a cherry that somehow escaped decades of abuse at the hands of WPB's finest....maybe it'll come home with me.

pushrod 03-17-2011 08:18 AM

If you like the VFR, you'll LOVE the early ('99 - '01 or '02 - '04) Triumph Sprint ST!

They are, for all I & P, a British VFR.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257094)
Thanks for the alternative perspective Sarnali. I have an interest in the VFR line in general, because in many ways they have been the platform for some real innovations in motorcycles.

The bike is a grand, which sure ain't cheap. I'm going to go look at it, but if it's an old, whupped dawg, it'll stay in the trailer park. If it's a cherry that somehow escaped decades of abuse at the hands of WPB's finest....maybe it'll come home with me.


sarnali2 03-17-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 257103)
If you like the VFR, you'll LOVE the early ('99 - '01 or '02 - '04) Triumph Sprint ST!

They are, for all I & P, a British VFR.


That would be my pick. I got a pretty generous tax return so I've been looking for a play bike myself. The Sprint is in the running along with a 'Guzzi Coppa Italia and an airhead RS. I'm just cruisin' Craigslist to see what crops up

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 09:09 AM

Think Green! Go Electric!

We can't putting off Saving the Planet! for another minute!

A dolphin dies every time you start that old polluter.

pushrod 03-17-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 257105)
That would be my pick. I got a pretty generous tax return so I've been looking for a play bike myself. The Sprint is in the running along with a 'Guzzi Coppa Italia and an airhead RS. I'm just cruisin' Craigslist to see what crops up

Street Triple. (Save money - buy 'pre-owned')

More fun on two wheels is tough to find.

sarnali2 03-17-2011 09:53 AM

I like the 2nd gen. Street Triples, the newer ones don't do a thing for me..... Definitely on the short list.

Being filthy rich like Buzglyde I can afford just about anything but I have specific bikes in mind. The simple fact is that the GS is so overwhelmingly awesome that it covers all the bases for functionality, I'm just looking for a jewel to fool around on and I don't care how many kittens have to die in the process!!!

Morbo the Destroyer 03-17-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257108)
Think Green! Go Electric!

We can't putting off Saving the Planet! for another minute!

A dolphin dies every time you start that old polluter.

I just ate a nice fried dolphin sandwich.

The_AirHawk 03-17-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257112)
I just ate a nice fried dolphin sandwich.

Mahi-Mahi is not "Dolphin".

Now, Orca-steak is F-Bomb'n delicious (as is the meat from all sentient and semi-sentient beings: just ask the Greys!).

pushrod 03-17-2011 10:20 AM

Personally, I prefer Manatee-chop sandwiches!

The 'other' other white meat!

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257112)
I just ate a nice fried dolphin sandwich.

Killed by Sarah Palin no doubt!

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 257105)
That would be my pick. I got a pretty generous tax return so I've been looking for a play bike myself. The Sprint is in the running along with a 'Guzzi Coppa Italia and an airhead RS. I'm just cruisin' Craigslist to see what crops up

You didn't get a "generous" tax return. The gov't just took way too much of your hard-earned money.

Now go take yet another break and search for BMWs.

sarnali2 03-17-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257118)
You didn't get a "generous" tax return. The gov't just took way too much of your hard-earned money.

Now go take yet another break and search for BMWs.


I live to serve, if the gov't needs my tax dollars to support important programs then I'll just press 1 for English and ask them where to send the check...

The K1200 GT is on the list... I personally like the traditional BMW hand controls, don't your 1300 have the new style ones?

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 257121)
I live to serve, if the gov't needs my tax dollars to support important programs then I'll just press 1 for English and ask them where to send the check...

The K1200 GT is on the list... I personally like the traditional BMW hand controls, don't your 1300 have the new style ones?

The 1300 has the new controls. I never could figure out having three buttons for two turn signals.

12er 03-17-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257122)
The 1300 has the new controls. I never could figure out having three buttons for two turn signals.

So one more button than a harley is too many eh? I never got the outrage over the bmw switchgear when harley has the same thing but you have to wait for them to shut off instead of being able to cancel yourself. Oh wait, Harley riders dont use em, just that hand wave thing if anything. Nevermind, nothing to see here, move along...

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 257125)
So one more button than a harley is too many eh? I never got the outrage over the bmw switchgear when harley has the same thing but you have to wait for them to shut off instead of being able to cancel yourself. Oh wait, Harley riders dont use em, just that hand wave thing if anything. Nevermind, nothing to see here, move along...

The Harley ones ARE self-cancelling (I guess no one else has figured that out yet) but you can easily shut them off just by hitting the button if they stay on too long for your tastes.

And I don't own one of those dang things!

Morbo the Destroyer 03-17-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 257125)
So one more button than a harley is too many eh? I never got the outrage over the bmw switchgear when harley has the same thing but you have to wait for them to shut off instead of being able to cancel yourself. Oh wait, Harley riders dont use em, just that hand wave thing if anything. Nevermind, nothing to see here, move along...

I'll tell you what's an outrage: learning to ride a motorcycle on a right-side shifting Ironhead Sportster and then riding anything else. What a PITA that was...

schizuki 03-17-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 257108)
Think Green! Go Electric!

We can't putting off Saving the Planet! for another minute!

A dolphin dies every time you start that old polluter.

Dude, that's the awesomest thing about being a liberal. As long as you care, you can do anything. And caring costs nothing!

Hell, if you're Al Gore, you can actually make money caring, thus having more money to do the opposite, like buying multiple mansions and boats and Jet-Skis. You can even get a Nobel for it.

And I've heard those 1980's Honda V-4 horror stories, too. I wouldn't mess with one. If I bought an '80s bike, it would be a tasty GPZ550. I like airheads.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.