Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-06-2001, 01:43 PM   #11
headless
Founding Member

Default What about the timing?

"Four-valves per cylinder timing with pnewmatic return"

Ok, What kind of timing?

And: is it just regular valve actuation, but w/o springs?

headless is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2001, 02:24 PM   #12
RayRevolver
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia announces GP1 contender

Wow! Out of the blue, another GP1 contender. It should be an awesome season. I can't wait for the next iteration of Superbike 2001 (PC game) with all these new bikes because I know I will never get to ride any of them... I still like the Honda the best, it looks smaller than a 125!
RayRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 03:05 PM   #13
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Does FIM have the regulations for this class posted online somewhere, and how much freedom is allowed with regards to things like ABS brakes and the all-but-photographed traction control system that Aprilia is apparently going to use?

On top of that, though, it's terrific to see such a decisive European factory effort, even though I'm still thinking Yamaha will have the advantage...at first.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 03:06 PM   #14
badsac
Founding Member

Default I agree

I really like the smooth flowing curves of the fairing and tank along with the sharp angles and lines of the frame and swingarm. Seems to come together perfectly. The color scheme's nice as well.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:34 PM   #15
zxguy
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the timing?

If it's is like F1 valve trains (which they reckon it is) then the valve is opened conventionally via a cam. The pnuematic part is the closing, that way the cloing pressure can be varied to suit the engine speed - less force at low speed, more at high speed. This means your not wasting energy on overcoming internal forces that are not required all the time.

And the F1 guys still have a variation on the spring theme, though in it's selve it's only usefull at very low speed. They need it or the valves would all be open when you start the thing - no bang.
zxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:58 AM   #16
Speedboy999
Founding Member

Great bike from a great racing factory. Now the BIG question, "Who is going to ride it?!!!"
Speedboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:08 AM   #17
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Well.....

I'll agree say that I think all the GP bikes are georgous (honda?? ahem..) but something about this bike just puts it over the top. The sculpted tank alone reminds me af what the hand formed alloy tanks of the 50's and 60's would have evolved into. I sure hope it runs as good as it looks!
Old 12-07-2001, 04:32 AM   #18
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Big Shake Coming

Ok, so next season should be all about proving that 4 strokes (with a massive displacement advantage) can be as fast as the 2 strokes. From there, it'll be about finding out which engine configurations work best. I don't see how you can make more than a guess at who'll win. No one knows what is going to happen at all.

Is this a great time for motorcycles or what?
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:59 AM   #19
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default No Biaggi

Checa is clearly better at riding a 4-stroke than Biaggi. I say Kenny, Checa, and Rossi lead the series along with Katoh in the mix.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 06:03 AM   #20
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Doug Chandler or Regis Laconi

Regis Laconi Probably. He is a much better racer on dunlops. He had been great in his first few races with Red Bull on Dunlops and then they went with Mich and he didn't do so well. Since Aprillia is sticking with the Lops I think it will be Regis Laconi or Doug Chandler.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote