Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 03-28-2001, 06:42 AM   #1
Twitch
Founding Member

Default The first be MINE!!

This years season has me excited. Anybody else have high hopes for good racing? BTW, any news on how Haga is preparing for GP?
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2001, 07:09 AM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: 500 GP Preview from Kenny Roberts

Good luck to KR Sr. this season. After the years he has spent putting his team together, I sure hope he starts having some success.

Any chance that the Proton GP effort will lead to a street bike? Maybe I missed something, but it would be great to see a US built sport bike. It could be an outgrowth of the Proton racing effort someday. Just imagine a three cylinder bike with a GP based chassis. OK, so it would have to be a four stroke and there are other problems, like financing, to solve. It is fun to think about in any case.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:30 AM   #3
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: 500 GP Preview from Kenny Roberts

US-based? I thought team KR was UK-based...?

-Ollie

ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:31 AM   #4
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: The first be MINE!!

Of course I have high hopes for this year, it's going to be awesome! I can't wait to see KRJR, Haga, and Rossi battle for the lead. Wooooohooooo!

-Ollie

ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 08:26 AM   #5
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Now you can say....duh !

What planet have you been on ? The Modenas project and facilities are based in the UK. Some of the facilities used to be based in Spain. Proton is a car manufacturer that is based in Indonesia. I think your base would be "free-base cocaine" from the blithering you typed. Bennelli and Triumph both make 3 cylinder four stroke bikes. What I think would be fun to think about would be coming home late from work and finding Morgan Fairchild naked in my bed with a can of whipped cream. Imagine that !
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 08:52 AM   #6
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Now you can say....duh !

OK... duh!

Yeah, I know about Triumphs and Benellis. I was going off on a tangent thinking about the REMOTE possibility that somebody, anybody, from any background, would make something other than a V-twin in the USA. KR is an American. The connection is tenuous, but then so is my grasp of reality sometimes. You seem to heve noticed that.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:54 AM   #7
Poser
Founding Member

I can say duh, again.

Honda makes bikes in Marysville, Ohio that are definitely not V-twins. The connection gets more tenuous.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:08 AM   #8
panthercity
Founding Member

Not to mention the fact that Roberts set off on his own to build RACE BIKES, not street bikes. The foundation of KR's effort is the belief that top line road racing bikes should be from a dedicated RACE BIKE company a la McLaren, Willimas, Prost, Sauber, etc. in F1 cage racing...
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 09:20 AM   #9
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default i absolutley can't wait until the season starts!!

grand prix is so loaded with talent, anyone of 8 different guys have a very good possibility of taking the checkered flag: Roberts, Biaggi, Rossi, McCoy, Checa, Criville, Barros and Haga. This Proton thing just adds a little spice to the whole lineup. It's too damn bad that Aprilia didn't keep the 500, because Jeremy McWilliams was looking really good at the end of the season. 11 more days!! yippeee!!!!!!!!!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:32 AM   #10
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: i absolutley can

That's because Aprilia is spending 5-10 million dollar on a 4-stroke 990cc GP1 machine and therefore cannot afford to run an imcompetitive 2stroke wich will be ditched next year anyway.
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote