Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MORidian (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moridian/)
-   -   Ride To Work Yesterday! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moridian/2458-ride-work-yesterday.html)

Buzglyd 07-20-2004 01:19 PM

Re: Ride To Work Tomorrow!

I tried riding onto the Boeing 757 I'm sitting in but they wouldn't let me past security.

sarnali 07-20-2004 01:34 PM

Re: OK fine, Ride your bike tomorrow!

That should reach at least 25 people,

Tell Anna I'll have bacon and eggs and a cup of tea for breakfast, and I'll take offers on the Duc.

mscuddy 07-20-2004 01:38 PM

With my luck, it'll be Billy Jean King, and a Hodaka Super Rat. Thanks.

Dryfly 07-20-2004 02:02 PM

Already had Anna.......it's now boring.....any other choices?? Also, I work out the house. Does going out to lunch on the Ducati count??

Ducati "Foggy" Monster Man

paullitwack 07-20-2004 02:49 PM

I have a pretty and mint Nighthawk ujm, so I guess I'm safe from your curse staying home. Seriously, I work in a poor neighborhood in NYC. Enough of the young men there love bikes and have no inhibitions about lifting bikes from their owners that I'm not risking leaving it in the street here 10 hours. If I had a safe place to leave it I'd ride it tommorrow, but riding it one day to make a dubious point (dubious because I can't ride it consistently: 1) because of fear of theft, and 2) because it's aircooled and I'd have to lane split every day going home during the NYC summer gridlock or damage the engine with overheating), and risking losing it seems dumb. I'll ride tommorrow after I get back from work when the traffic dies down after supper.

DaveFla 07-20-2004 03:17 PM

Scattered Strong thunderstorms...

...is the forecast for tomorrow, here.

That rules out the Firebolt, but the GL1000 has that big ol' Windjammer. Woo hoo!

longride 07-20-2004 03:36 PM

Tell the Duc I'll have Anna for breakfast. Make that lunch and dinner too!

Holy_Kaw 07-20-2004 04:52 PM

I don't have to work tommorrow. If I ride my Mean Motorscooter to go snorkeling (like I was gonna do anyway) do I still "get" Anna?

Holy_Kaw 07-20-2004 04:55 PM

Oh yeah, and the Duc?

dylanmo 07-20-2004 05:25 PM

I'd rather Anna be in bed when the night begins, but whatever.

pplassm 07-20-2004 06:47 PM

I rode to work in an armored HMMWV today, does that count? Somebody ride twice for me, OK?

FWIW, very few motorcycles on the road here. One look at the condition of the cars and trucks and you'll know why!

The Iraqi Police have old Suzuki 750 copsickles, but I've never seen one in actual operation.

"Who's yer Baghdaddy?"

pplassm

bmwclay 07-21-2004 02:34 AM

Re: Ride To Work Today!

Do I have to get a job first?

Buzglyd 07-21-2004 03:32 AM

If KPaul engineered a plane would you fly in it?

Buzglyd 07-21-2004 03:34 AM

I'm sitting in a Starbucks in S. Florida. God, I love Cuban women!

SRMark 07-21-2004 03:39 AM

I rode to work this morning but have to ride to a meeting in a few minutes. That ride is for you. I hope you like mountain roads that end in a small college town. Your bike for that ride will be an ST1100. Hope that is ok. Get back safely.

SRMark 07-21-2004 03:40 AM

Ride to the unemployment office.

pushrod 07-21-2004 03:50 AM

Ahhh, yes!

It was meant to be! My ride in today was almost uninterrupted - the lights were almost all green, the clueless drivers must've been lost on other routes, and life is good.

Hope y'all get some wind in your face somehow today!

Hey Buz, come on up hee-yer to the Redneck Riviera and check out the cold beer for breakfast and toothless wimmen.

Buzglyd 07-21-2004 04:03 AM

All my meetings this time are in Boca, Ft lauderdale and Miami but there is a young lady I "know" (in the Biblical sense) in Destin.

I tell her she lives in the redneck riveria and she gets all bent and says Destin is the "fancy" part.

My ride to work is a Chrysler Sebring rentacar.

gbrummett 07-21-2004 04:11 AM

Everyday

Rode in today on my bike like I do everyday. Counted the number of bikes I saw (7 total) and didn't see anymore or less then any other day.

Pretty sad, guess they can't take the heat here in Mesa Arizona

TatdNPrcd 07-21-2004 04:18 AM

My wife is riding her Road Glide for you today. She is a grade school teacher so she doesn't go to work this time of year but instead of taking the car on errands she's promised to ride her bike.

She wanted me to tell you that it was for you and for those with you who can't ride today either.

sarnali 07-21-2004 04:22 AM

Re: what the f**k !!!

My normal commute is A). done one my bike and B). allways a snooze

This morning on "Ride to Work Day" I had some Dean Martin looking f**k in a Hawiian shirt and a new Mustang play chiken with me while I was trying to merge from hwy 18 to I-5 northbound (he won)

Then some ***** in a Caravan wanted to play bumper tag going up the carpool lanes @ 80mph

Then some zombie in a Expedition tried to make a lane change into my saddlebags, even when he saw me he took awhile deciding if he should give me back the other 3/4's of my lane.

This is the first year in ages that I've rode in on RTW day, usually this turns out to be the one day out of the year I have to drive for some reason, now I know why. It seems that after a few weeks of high 80's around here people start getting addled.

SmokeU 07-21-2004 04:35 AM

I don't ride in planes, I ride my bike.

pdad13 07-21-2004 04:53 AM

I'll make sure I do an extra trip for ya, too. You deserve it.

Thanks for your service and be safe, bud.

Steve781 07-21-2004 04:53 AM

I'd Love to But...

I got knocked off my bike by a cage while riding into work last Thursday. My Arai Helmet and Firstgear Jacket did their jobs. Nothing is broken but most of me is black, blue, or yellow/green(!). My poor VFR is going to need some new plastic. The Givi side bags soaked up most of the damage, or it would have been a lot worse for both me and the bike.

As a side note, although the Firstgear mesh jacket kept me from getting any road rash, I'm not very happy with the construction. The shoulder armor ripped clean off exposing the flimsy liner underneath. Any more sliding on that should and I would have been in a world of hurt.

Do ride to work, but keep your eyes open. They are trying to kill you.

seruzawa 07-21-2004 05:01 AM

Wrong attitude, dude!

I prefer to look at it this way. Today, during my normal 42 mile morning commute, I was pleased to demonstrate to several pathetic loser tie wearing drones that their supposed "performance cars" are the ridiculously slow ill-handling cages that they are.

Someone should tell these clowns with the midlife crises that when they drive a Taurus or Camry their poor driving skills are unnoticeable since that what everybody expects. But when they parade their lack of talent in a Z3 or a Mustang or a Thunderbird they only provoke peals of laughter.

If you dress up a monkey in a tuxedo all you have is a monkey in a tuxedo. Put an inept drone a Corvette and all you get is an inept drone in a Corvette. Albeit a more dangerous drone.

pdad13 07-21-2004 05:10 AM

I had an extremely bright woman merge into my lane (at low speed approaching an intersection) because because she mistook my riding in the left tire track as "riding between lanes." I then had to pull a little farther left when she invaded my lane. When she was inches from knocking me down, I stopped to "educate" her. She still insisted that I was between lanes as I was SITTING stopped, clearly inside the lane marker. When I pointed this out, she just kind of stared at me blankly.

Also had a guy in a Carerra 4 convertible left-lane squatting and erratically riding the brake in front of me for a third of the trip. When I was finally able to safely pass, I noticed he was screwing with a cell phone.

Traffic, road construction most of the way, too.

But I would do it all over again.

seruzawa 07-21-2004 05:13 AM

Next time get them to mount your MV to the top of the fuselage. What a rush, huh?

captainwhoopass 07-21-2004 05:20 AM

Re: Wrong attitude, dude!

And a much poorer drone...

Kipio 07-21-2004 05:29 AM

So, I get out to the garage this morning, get out the 1985 Suzuki GS700E. My wife took the other bike, which she doesn't normally do since she works 3 minutes away from home, but hey, it's Ride to Work Day. I don't always do a complete inspeciton, but I figure hey, it's a special day, better show the general public how it's done and inspect it.

Wow, that brake light looks mighty bright. And neither brake switch is working! Ah, okay, adjust the rear brake switch. Now it works. But wait, the front still doesn't work. I don't know how these things work. So I open it up and it clearly has been tarnishing for the past 19 years. I try cleaning it, realigning it, everything. The darn thing won't work.

Wait, now the taillight isn't working at all. Oh no, a fuse! I don't know where the fuses are, and the shop manual doesn't tell me. (Must be in the owner's manual that didn't come with the bike.) I find the fuses, sure enough, it's blown. Oh crap, the previous owner doesn't have any spares. Wait, there's one. Ah, the taillight is working again.

Sweat is pouring down my face as I keep trying the front brake light switch, but to no avail. Eventually I give up. "But damnit, I'm riding to work on Ride to Work Day," I think, as the car looks at me with eyebrows raised. Okay, hell, I'll just remember to use my rear brake a lot.

On the way, I come to a stoplight which I hit every single day and the camera always triggers. Not today. One cycle. Two cycles. Three cycles. Finally a car comes up behind me and puts me out of my misery.

I get to work safely, a half hour late, sweaty and annoyed. But hey, I rode my bike to work today!

pushrod 07-21-2004 05:31 AM

Well, if your Sebring is the ragtop, I guess you might get partial credit for the day.

The lady is right about Destin being "fancy". They have to bus in all the domestic help, 'cause there is no housing on the island. I'm over in Panama City, where the tooth-per-head (TPH) count is in the double digits, but fairly low.

mscuddy 07-21-2004 05:32 AM

Re: Boom boom

Sounds like my every day commute, here in Smog City.

I was going to mount something like a Sharps .54 & 1/4, 45.70 or some other cannon on the mighty Kawi, but have decided on the 23mm cannon that came standard on a MIG15, for real stopping power. If that could bring down a B29, a BMW (or Volvo) should be easy pickins.

Some guy in Tunisia has one on Ebay, I'm bidding on it now.

Look out, cagers!

pushrod 07-21-2004 05:38 AM

Re: I'd Love to But...

Steve,

Box that jacket up and send it to Firstgear. Tell them what happened. Maybe they'll help you out.

Also, make sure you get with the cager's insurance company (hopefully you have them) and get them to pay for new safety gear. Jacket, hat, boots, gloves.

Take digital pictures of all your gear for future use.

Good Luck!

seruzawa 07-21-2004 05:40 AM

Re: Boom boom

Ever since the feds mandated steel shot there have been piles of old 12 gauge shotguns in the pawnshops for cheap. By a dozen and rig them up. Use 1/2 oz. AP sabot slugs.

That should do the trick.

bigjames 07-21-2004 05:49 AM

There were about twice the number of bikes I normally see in the AM between Macon and Atlanta, Georgia today. Nice cool 65 on top of that. Rode my VERY high milage sidecar rig in (instead of the '03 HD or '00 BMW), since I ride the others every day any way. Then again, all my my riding co-workers (except for the novice on the 250cc machine) ride to work every day any way, and did today, and we are all mighty proud we didn't have to make any excuses for not riding, like some of the lamoes above! Looking forward to being in the way this evening! Wonderful thing about sidecars, folks all look and point and it becomes a rolling road block. THEY ACTUALLY SEE ME! Kinda nice actually.....

BigJames

bigjames 07-21-2004 05:51 AM

Oh, if Anna shows up.....

she'll have to deal with my wife....and I can't reach the damn bars on a Duc, but thanks anyway....being under 6 feet tall with wide shoulders really make riding a Duc tricky....riding Anna, oh, never mind, I shouldn't even think about that sort of thing....

captainwhoopass 07-21-2004 05:55 AM

I had a guy do the same thing to me on the freeway last week, only we were moving at about 30mph in heavy traffic.

He's now minus one passenger side mirror.

captainwhoopass 07-21-2004 05:56 AM

Wisdom over youthful foolishness...

Holy_Kaw 07-21-2004 05:58 AM

Amen