Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2001, 12:21 PM   #1
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Notice

Whether you're a street only or dual sport rider, this is important. Attend the meetings, be polite to everyone. Let them know we expect to be able to use our publics lands equally.

Also -- FIRST POST! HA!
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2001, 12:54 PM   #2
huskerdu
Founding Member

About three weeks ago I took a trip from Florida to Arizona and rented a dual sport. I rode around in the Tonto National Forest for two days and it was an incredible amount of fun. Losing access to these lands would suck. My observation was that bikes did little or nothing to damage the place, it was the idiots who went there to party and left their trash and bottles there that ruined things in a few places.

Another observation I had was that I have more balls than brains sometimes. Don't ever venture far out into these places alone. I came close to getting myself into serious trouble a couple of times and being alone out there, I would have been screwed.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 01:54 PM   #3
minime
Founding Member

I'd agree that it's not usually the OHV people that do damage to trails, contrary to the image the tree-huggers (Sierra Club, etc.) try to portray. You see, I grew up racing desert when S22 and Alan Cranston were in full effect and some of the ludicrous stuff they tried to pass off was just nonsense. Thankfully, guys like Rick Seimen (sp?) and Louis McKey (Phantom Duck of the Desert) called them on some things and, while we lost a huge amount of land (witness, no more Barstow to Vegas) it wasn't near as costly as it could have been.

Anyway, some of the things that came out of their research were that (shock) desert riders and, in general, OHV users do not strap mattresses to their backs and then ride out into the desert to discard them. It's mostly locals who do the majority of dumping and general pollution out there.

And as for saying that OHV people do irrepairable damage? There have been scientific studies (by indepent parties, not Sierra Club-funded) that show how, after the first rains of the year, any and all evidence of cross-country travel is gone.

Anyway, whether you're an off-road guy or a 250GP racer, you're a motorcycle enthusiast and any sort of governmental imposition into your sport should cause you concern.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:20 PM   #4
Zionist
Founding Member

Default AMA Notice Re: Arizona Forests

Being able to ride/drive a motor vehicle is not a right you fools, it is a priveledge. ameriKans are such arrogant, wasteful bastards.
Zionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:44 PM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Here we go again....

Is this a joke?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:47 PM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default P.S. it's spelled "privelege".....

At least spell your flames correctly lest they become "flameouts".
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 07:25 PM   #7
huskerdu
Founding Member

You're a real genius. I don't recall anyone claiming it was their "right" to operate a motor vehicle anywhere in this thread. Nor did anyone come off as arrogant. I believe we posted comments that basically said we enjoy off-road riding, wanted to preserve the ability to do so and observed that most of the damage we see to off-road areas is apparently done by people other than motorcyclists.

If you were joking, sorry, I missed it. If you were serious I'd suggest you pull your head out of your ass and save your hostility for your fellow countrymen wherever that may be.

huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:00 AM   #8
RonXX

What's the meaning of the capitalized "K" in ameriKans? Sorry, but I know who my father is.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote