Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
clively

Default Re: Palomar Mountain residents form group to stop speeding motorcycles

Holy cats, FIRST POST!!!!
clively is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
johnnyb

would a .50-cal. in the nose be considered a concealed weapon?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
bidwell

I am absolutely amazed it's taken this long for something like this to happen. Whether the riders were reckless or not, we cannot continue to ***** off the general public and not expect some type of reprisal. I have done my fair share railing for sure but have come to the realization that public roads are not racetracks. There are real racetracks for that sort of thing and for those that haven't tried it yet it's incredibly liberating! No worries about gravel, cops, or other motorists etc, just concentrate your riding.

Unfortunately I think the crackdowns are going to increase at places like this because there are always going to be some that will continue to ride recklessly and ruin it for the rest of us.
bidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

From the link:

"Motorcycles racing at high speeds and with extra-loud, modified exhaust pipes have plagued residents of the quiet, remote mountain for years, said Bonnie Phelps, a resident and publisher of a mountain newsletter. But, she said, the problem has become more severe recently. She also said that some residents who have tried to stop the problem have been threatened. "

If that statement is true, then you brought the problem on yourselves. By not policing yourselves, the feds will now do it for you. The same people that cheer helmet laws should love any solution that these people can think of to "save that one life". Get used to it. I'm sure it's only the tip of the iceberg. Time to get together and meet with these people before they get the ball rolling, don't you think? Or is everyone going to sit on their asses, and let them do what they will?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Only if your name is Feinberg.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I say we ride to Palomar and burn it to the ground! Make the Julian fire look like a weenie roast! All in favour say "aye".
Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
clively

After being inducted into the elite group of FIRST POSTERS, I have now read the article. It is a shame that a few are ruining it for the many. If you fail to police yourself then someone will do it for you. The majority of riders are being punished by selective enforcement and paying sky high insurance premiums due to stupid behavior of a few. However, I can't beat the crap out of a squid when they need it, to modify their behavior, without going to jail myself. So what can you do but suck it up?

First, if you ride in that area you need to be prepared. The majority of the folks in that area have the perception that mc riders are responsible for their ills. Whether it is from loud pipes, bright headlights, and unsafe driving behavior, their perceptions are their reality. You need to become a positive voice for riders and educate the public as to your perceptions. I am not going to list the positive things about riding a bike since most of the readers already know them. You need to aquaint yourself with the head of that task force to help them realize your point of view as well. Learn/know your facts and educate the public to them. I bet money that the 97% of the local riders are very safe and are disgusted when they see squidly behavior. The other 3% and visitors to the area (that come to drive like maniacs down the mountain) are about to ruin it for everyone, and that is who needs to be dealt with.

There will be posts saying to fight "the man", and to give up cause it is to late. You are behind the ball since they have already obtained the grant for selective enforcement and the majority of the population agree with it. Get stats and times for police/fire responses, since false alarms and stupid calls will far outway time spent on cycle related incidents and educate the public, police, and fellow riders as to the facts, not perceptions, so they see the true reality. Once educated, the majority of the population will agree with you and will not want the speed limits lowered since once the mc problem is squared away, they will be the recipients of the proactive enforcement.

This is a tough task and few step up to it. However, if you don't address it then you can't complain when your speed limit is ridiculously low, your fines are making the state's budget fat, and you are riding a bicycle. Good luck & let me know if you would need any help.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh knock it off. You know that no one is responsible for anything. Don't you know that anyone has the right to do anything they want?

Actually, I'll got you one further, using the same "helmet law logic": People who break speed limits are dangerous. They are lawbreakers and as such should be severley punished with having their licenses revoked. This goes for people who exceed any speed limit anywhere anytime. To drive faster than the speed limit places them at high risk and since I pay taxes that might end up paying for these people's medical costs I have the right to regulate their behavior. Any law is justified if it will save public funds for medical costs.

By the way, you don't eat pizza do you? Because after we get the speeders we're going to get people who don't eat properly. Sure, you can eat pizza. But only if you agree to pay all your own medical costs if you get a heart attack.

This is fun. I can ban any behavior with this "logic".

Any skiers out there? Soon it's your turn.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
clively

Darnit, I forgot to say that the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. Sqeak ( a good argument) louder than the left wing safety nazis that "care for all", one blue state at a time, and the right wing freedom loving riders will annoint you with oil when our superiority is revealed!!!!!

Halleluah and Amen

(this was written to tic you off JB)
Old 04-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

1. Quiet your bike.

2. Don't ride in groups.

3. Don't ride where everybody else does.

4. Try not to ride at the same location all the time.

It appears that the non-riding populace is having a wide reaction to our fun. I know we are being more careful around here because of it. Time to lay low.