Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Janklow Update - Convicted of Manslaughter (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2255-janklow-update-convicted-manslaughter.html)

SmokeU 12-08-2003 02:06 PM

Re: Janklow Update - Convicted of Manslaughter

Hell ****YEAH, I live about 2 hours from the accident scene in SD. Everyone where I work, myself included, thought that he was going to walk. I am very happy to see that justice can still be accomplished dealing with high profile figures.

SmokeU 12-08-2003 02:06 PM

Wooooooo, first post

caseyheilman 12-08-2003 02:14 PM

GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

And the next CNN Headline:

The guilty party is hereby ordered by the state of South Dakota to hang by the neck until which time he is dead dead dead.

wwalkersd 12-08-2003 02:21 PM

Good on 'em! That diabetic thing was a hoot. Just who the heck did they think was responsible for managing his blood sugar level?

Sadly, they'll most likely appeal.

johnnyb 12-08-2003 02:22 PM

anybody know what the minimum sentence is? I see him getting 30 days and 5 years probation or thereabouts...

Redfury 12-08-2003 02:27 PM

Guess the diabetic low blood sugar doesn't work any better than the twinkie (too much sugar) defense.

Kudos to the jurors. Thought for sure he would walk

kawazuki 12-08-2003 02:42 PM

I'm shocked. It almost gives me hope that we don't live in a complete oligarchy.

Now, only infinity minus one injustices to go...

-Kawazuki

mattg 12-08-2003 02:46 PM

Don't celebrate just yet. There is still his sentencing. Keep pushing for more than just a slap on the wrist. I'm sure that he voted for more prisons, let him see one from the inside.

torrnado 12-08-2003 02:47 PM

I am not convinced, however, that justice is served. He has yet to be sentenced and, as someone already pointed out, he'll likely appeal.

I, too, thought of Dan White's "twinky defense."

donalcallis 12-08-2003 02:50 PM

Max 10 yrs and/or $10,000. Should know within a month, as the defense asked the Judge to quickly issue the sentence.

imported_g_k 12-08-2003 03:08 PM

I think you've forgotten your history - the twinkie defense worked. Former Supervisor Dan White was sentenced to only 5-7 years for the murder of San Francisco mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk - he wasn't responsible for his acts, due to elevated blood sugar caused by eating Hostess Twinkies(tm). Does this country have a great legal system or what?

seruzawa 12-08-2003 03:31 PM

Excellente'!

I am glad that I was wrong about assuming that the trial would be fixed. As long as we can continue to hold our elected officials accountable then we will be far better off.

Now begins the appeals process during which he will continue to act as a Congresscritter. It might help if everyone writes to the Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, House Majority Leader, **** Armey, and each of our own District Reps demanding his ouster.

vfr44 12-08-2003 03:50 PM

Latest news - he has resigned his seat effective Jan 20 which is also his sentencing date.

Congrats to S. Dakota justice system - sorta tells the Harley riders to "come on back y'all "

grover750 12-08-2003 04:19 PM

Sturgis Anti-Boycott?

I suppose since I was a supporter of the proposed boycott, I should now begin to go to Sturgis since he was convicted.

Congrats to the prosecution team!

The diabetes defense was really weak. Yeah, a 240lb guy forgets to eat all day. Uh-huh.

sarnali 12-08-2003 04:52 PM

Re: There you go

All it took was Kpaul's threat of a boycott to send them hicks a runnin'. They know which side 'o' the bread the butter's on.

Of course he'll apeal, and he might do minimal time but the point is the jury didn't buy his bull-***** anymore than we did, good for South Dakota

RonXX 12-08-2003 04:55 PM

He still needs to be sentenced. That will dictate whether or not justice is served. Also, I bet this slob will appeal repeatedly until he is let off with time served.

Islandcomm 12-08-2003 05:10 PM

Happy to see a political "fat" cat get what he deserves, although it remains to be seen what sentence he'll actually receive.

obandoj 12-08-2003 05:23 PM

The conviction is great, now lets see what the sentence will be, I hope JohnnyB is wrong and they hang the bastard by the you know what!

Then and only then will justice have been served. I hope Mr. Scott's family get some closure and a little peace of mind from knowing that this piece of crap did not walk away from his terrible actions. we will see.

jibosch 12-08-2003 06:03 PM

I hope that there are some 'Fellow Bikers', wherever He is going...

nomad76 12-08-2003 06:11 PM

Good.

Hope he finally apologizes for his murder, and then apologizes to diabetics for his chicken-s#!t excuse of a defense.

Then I hope some imprisoned Pagans or Hell's Angels become good friends of his.

F451 12-08-2003 06:17 PM

It Not Over 'til It's Over

I want to jump and down and have somewhat BUT until this POS is sentenced I'll reserve my final hoorays. We still need to keep the heat on until the final word has come down and see whether he appeals and you all know this massive PSO will do just that.

Now is not the time to truly celebrate. Now is the time to put the pedal to the metal and write until the cows come home. Hopefully, none of those cows will get hit by Jank-n-off while he speeds through yet another intersection.

KPaulCook 12-08-2003 07:18 PM

Faith restored

Just when you think the world is f_cked, everyday citizens rise to the occasion. The jury showed some guts. Unforntuately, a judge will sentence him. I bet he gets 5 years and is out in 2 with good behavior.

westcork 12-09-2003 12:18 AM

U.S. Rep Janklow Resigns After Manslaughter Conviction

naco_traficante 12-09-2003 01:25 AM

If he gets off with just doing community service, I hope he will have to do it in Sturgis.

pplassm 12-09-2003 01:29 AM

But he still gets a pension....

He may have resigned, and he may go to jail, but the taxpayers will be paying his pension for the rest of his life.

Redfury 12-09-2003 01:30 AM

But he was convicted. The diabetes defense may be used to make his sentence light as well

Closet_Bad_Ass 12-09-2003 02:01 AM

At first I was a little hesitant to assign blame to Janklow. It's not his fault that it was a motorcycle that was in the intersection at the same time he was. If it were a car, there would be some broken bones and a lot of twisted metal. He gets sued. End of story. While it wasn't the motorcyclists fault that he was t-boned , he should have been riding a bit more defensively through the intersection. I've seen pictures of the intersection. While they were only pictures, I think that he probably could have seen Janklow coming...if he was looking. Riding bikes is a risk we all take...and we know it.

However, Janklow is such an ass and has handeled the whole thing so tastlessly, I'm more than thrilled to see him convicted. I'm skeptical that he'll do jail time though.

Be careful out there and make sure you aren't next.

grubz916 12-09-2003 02:14 AM

I agree, it's best to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and act appropriatly. However, even if Mr. Scott did the above (we don't know) , I don't think he could evasive action against a 71 mph cadillac running a stop sign. Not enought time to react, me thinks.

Grubz out

sr412 12-09-2003 03:01 AM

What an arrogant, egotistical, "holier than thou", lying *******. We can only hope that he gets significant prison time like the rest of us would. Hopefully some "Bubba" in prison will broadside (rear end?) Janklow in the shower at 70 mph!. We are all lucky this trial took place in SD and not CA. How about a new law that says losing defense attorneys have to serve time with their clients? - might put an end to the BS defenses like this one.

VR1000racer 12-09-2003 03:06 AM

Hey guys, let's everyone keep in mind that while we are celebrating a verdict of guilty by the jury, that a man has died an untimely death at the hand of another, and another's life is ending in a terrible way, even though it was his own doing.

It does seem that the people of SD have their heads screwed on straight, but don't expect Janklow to serve any unusual sentence, as the judge will have to follow sentencing guidelines as well as precedence of those convicted of manslaughter charges in prior cases. these sentences are usually light, and I would be supprised to see janklow receive more than about 36 months total sentence.

I am suprised to see Janklow resign effective on his sentencing date. Nixon did the same thing. both were Republicans.

Rostenkowski (Dem) in IL was convicted and had to be removed by the Senate, and was then pardoned by Clinton. Clinton Lied to the country under oath, has been disbarred by the Arkansas Bar Assoc. (for 5 years) and still justified it.

I guess what I am saying is that 2 lives are over, and it disapoints me that politicians whom spend so much of their lives touting resposibility for one's actions would mount a defence based on lack of accountability for his own actions. (of not eating)

In a way, there can be no "justice" as Mr. Scott is dead, and his family can never get him back, and Janklow was convicted, but obviously feels that he was not "resposible", as apparently does Daschel, since he is blaming the "accident" on his not eating, rather than due to the fact that he felt that stop signs and motor vehicle laws are for "Others" and not himself.

I think the only real way to have any kind of justice was to have Janklow go to the family and claim responsibility, and then throw himself to the mercy of the courts without defence of action. that would have been justice served.

As it is, Janklow still does not accept responsibility for what he has done. He needs to spend the next ten years telling people that if you speed, drive wrecklessly, or do stupid things, stand by to pay.

Sorry for rambling on. One dead biker, one life wasted on personal irresponsibility. I just can't bring myself to feel really good that the sentence was "justice served"..........

Mr. Scott, rest well my friend, and Godspeed

sanitar 12-09-2003 03:10 AM

Collision at 70+ mph even with another car may have resulted in much more than just broken bones. I have seen more than few accident victims who sustained deadly injuries while sitting in the cage.

Yes, defensive driving is the only way to survive. But that does not take responsibility (both moral and legal)away from the other guy. Even if he weren't such an ass.

runner00 12-09-2003 04:23 AM

Well I'm surprised and shocked that justice was actually served but I would keep my eye on this one. It's ok to forgive but foolish to forget.

Keep your eyes open and be ready to express your

disgust at the appropriate time if need be. It ain't over till it's over.

iamz 12-09-2003 04:26 AM

Re: But he still gets a pension....

I'm not sure on this, but when convicted of something as serious as 2nd degree manslaughter, I think he'll loose his government pension. At least I hope.

seruzawa 12-09-2003 04:45 AM

Better news yet!

Now I hope that Scott's family turn Jackloff into a pauper through a civil suit. Let him spend the rest of his life palling around with O.J.

sarnali 12-09-2003 05:10 AM

Re: Get real

Come on now, it might not have been his fault that there was a motorcyclist at the intersection instead of a car but the fact is he blew a stop sign at 70 mph

Defensive driving is fine but in this case the blame lies totaly with Janklow.

SRMark 12-09-2003 05:59 AM

Some how seeing someone convicted of manslaughter does not warm my heart. It is tragic. He will appeal and that will take more tax dollars. The biker is still dead. Nothing but bad news and sadness everywhere you look. Justice is not always a pretty thing. I pity Janklow's family and friends. And, no, I don't pity him.

nokneedragin 12-09-2003 05:59 AM

I'll wait for the sentencing, but at least he's been found guilty. Let's hope S.D. sentencing allows the victims family to testify, that should goose the judge to hit him with a healthier sentence.

The worst part is that in 5 years some bone head repub junior state senator is going to have this stretch of road renamed the Janklow expressway "honoring a wounderfull human being that served the people of S.D. so well, and with out regards to his own intrest" or some such $hit.

electraglider_1997 12-09-2003 06:25 AM

Hadn't eaten for 18 hours.

That's a hoot. By the looks of his triple chin and gross flamonda I'll wager he hasn't missed a meal in 18 years. 18 hours?, more like 18 seconds. In fact he was probably reaching for, while salivating over a half eaten box of Krispy Kremes that were perched on his morbidly obese belly. Had that self righteous wind bag been at all remorseful at anytime during this ordeal he wouldn't have every biker on this earth ready to lynch him.

anrajala 12-09-2003 07:03 AM

Good thinking VR1000racer

It was all fault of Clinton. They both should have resigned obviously. One whacked a biker and one stained an otherwise nice dress.

- cruiz-euro

EbonFlame 12-09-2003 10:17 AM

Umm, yeah, what about that...

even someone who appears as reckless, arrogant, and guilty as Mr. Janklow deserves a fair trial and a lawyer to represent him. He's allowed (and I think, should be) to present any defense he feels appropriate. Some, naturally, are aforementioned BS, and, as we have seen, the jury didn't buy a word of it. To me, I have no problem with the part of the legal system which goes something like "crime commited + BS defense = guilty, guilty, guilty."

My problem is more with the centuries-old trial system attempting to deal with a modern mass media culture. This creates some of the problems we've seen with jury selection, 'fair trials,' and the thousands of people like us, who are so willing to convict (or acquit) people like OJ, Janklow, and Kobe Bryant upon hearing a simple brief. One AP article does not a verdict make, says I.

I'm particularly distressed by the need to find jurors who have 'lived under rocks' for the six months or so betewen the alleged incidents and the trials... these aren't the people I'd like in a jury box, were I wrongly accused of a crime. So, while I'm instinctually glad that Janklow was guilty, I confess I'm not really in a position to know what's REALLY happened or what to do, and I live thousands of miles away. All I can say is that I feel sincerly sympathetic for the family of Mr. Scott. Godspeed.