Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #21
JALacroix
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance Rates Question

Joining the military to get better insurance rates? That's pretty wild. Actually, I'm thinking of joining the reserve at some point. All of the branches are pretty actively trying to get experienced critical care RNs, nice bonuses plus advanced rank (O2 or O3 depending). Do reservists qualify for this insurance? Just wondering...
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

You bet I can run the 40!

I bought my wife a .38 snubby for self-defense and when she hears that I stopped by the Triumph dealer to check out the Speed Triple again I'm gonna have to demonstrate my 40 yard speed yet one more time.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:09 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

My Farmers agent told me that they determine whether or not a bike is a performance bike by whether it has a fairing or not. Therefore a Kawasaki 500 gets high rates but a Speed Triple or SV1000 doesn't.

And these companies claim publicly that they set rate scientifically. What BS.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Now THAT was cold!

You mean old [email protected]!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

You're wrong about the 18-24 year olds. I have it on good authority from KPaulKook and other members of the sportbike mafia here that it is armies of over-50 drunken CPAs riding bar-to-bar on V-twins that are affecting the rates!! The young guys never crash because they have hightechtwofingerbrakingandthelatesttechnologyGSXC BRZXRFZRRRRR bikes.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:18 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

She may be using the .38 for offense instead of defense!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:19 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

They let you off easy seruzawa, because they figure your bike won't stay running long enough to put any kind of miles on it

Imagine someone who owns an oil leaking zener burning smoky amal carbed Lucas electriked Triumph saying that!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:25 PM   #28
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Not exactly true anymore I am afraid.

I have been a USAA member for 21 years now. I currently insure my house and two cars with them. About a year ago, they did a "risk re-assessment" for the state of Arizona. The insurance rates on my two cars went up about 20%. The insurance rates on my two motorcycles went up about 30%!!! I was pissed! I am 37, no claims, no violations. Paying a combined $2600 a year for insurance on 4 vehicles when I can only drive one at a time sent me over the edge.

I did alot of checking around and currently insure by bikes with Markel (Bikeline). Their rates are less than USAA's before they increased them! So as far as I am concerned, USAA may be a great company, but it is not necessarily the best option anymore.

Never priced around for my cars. I have been a loyal USAA member, but now wonder if I am getting screwed on the auto rates also.

Now, the new problem is that new 2004 FJR1300 will be here in a few weeks, and the quotes I have been getting for that have been outrageous. Markel was more than USAA, but so far Dairyland has been the best.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #29
arizonagerg
Founding Member

"If I cover your state" - You only cover the state of Georgia according to your website.

I would tend to agree that Markel is one of the better - I switched to them a year ago. However, their quote on my soon arriving FJR1300, was not competitive.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

Well I speak from experiance
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote