Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-13-2000, 05:12 PM   #1
Twitch
Founding Member

Default Re: Motojournalism Woes: More Mergers

Before I begin, "FIRST"

I think that the internet is taking away from sales of real paper type motorcycle magazines. I have not had a subscription nor bought a magazine in a year and a half because the net gives it to me quicker and with out all the freaking subscription cards falling out when I open the magazine up. Just my 2 cents.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2000, 06:32 PM   #2
backroadbandit
Founding Member

I am in agreement with you on that. I still get the paper mags, they are useful for a little reading to get to sleep well.....nothing to put you to sleep like a comparo of $3000 250s.
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 06:34 PM   #3
backroadbandit
Founding Member

No sh*t, Squidly. I went to cycle shark site a couple of times, but who wants to look at ads, especially when bikers-in-the-know can buy all that stuff cheaper somewhere else?
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 01:40 AM   #4
IceWorm
Founding Member

"So what's up with that? Perhaps people are too busy riding to be sitting around reading about riding? Maybe the magazines aren't giving the people what they want. Or maybe they are -- MO is consistently logging over a million unique visits per month. Perhaps you, the MO readers, harbor some theories about this."

Perhaps these online mags are not making any money. Interesting that you did not even include that as a possibility. There are so many internet based businesses not making money one wonders if the bottom line is no longer important. Can you say BURN RATE?
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 03:00 AM   #5
pk509
Founding Member

Personally, I really never liked the CycleShark website. They had nothing that interested me. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on cool, new stuff so I avoid sites that sell a lot of stuff. Further, I'd rather spend a bit more and support my local dealer than save a little money and buy over the internet undercutting the people that provide me local support. As a full-time college student, I don't have a lot of time to read things either so I stick with the few print mags I get and MO. There are too many sites out there trying to market the same product to the same niche of people: US. I think on-line motorcycle sites that are succeeding are the ones that got in early and have built a strong reader/buyer base (like MO and Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse). Just my 2-cents.

-Paul
pk509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 06:54 AM   #6
ducatirdr
Founding Member

MO is...

Fast

Light

Responsive

Just what we motorcyclist like. Keep it fast, easy to read and filled with great articles on bikes and bike stuff.

I keep sub's to rag's because I don't have a web browser in my bathroom.

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 07:48 AM   #7
RichReed
Founding Member

I have found myself simplifying things lately. I used to subscribe to five different moto-mags, now I am down to one (OK, two including the AMA monthly). I was discovering that the more I found out about motorcycling, the less the so-called experts knew. If I was to spend money on a paper magazine, I want to be informed and entertained. Don't tell me what's best for me, tell me about the new bikes, dammit.

My single paper magazine is Cycle World. It is intelligent, fair, covers all aspects of motorcycling, has heavy hitters like Cameron, Egan and Lewis without the Cult Of Personality of other mags, and is timely (for a monthly).

RIDER: Too preachy. His Royal Highness Tuttle's personal soapbox. (Before that it was HRH Tash Masuoka. Before that HRH Denis Rouse). Nothing new. Same old stuff.

MCN: Yeah, right. Good idea, poorly executed. Questionable test processes, amaturish writing. Tendancy to tell me what it best for me, rather then presenting the facts and letting me decide. Of course, I haven't read one in 5 years....maybe they've changed...?.....NAAAHHHH!

Motorcyclist: Writers keep getting killed (OK, a low blow, but they do - two in the past five years). Too focused on Sport Bikes, which is OK if that's all that interests you, but it doesn't. Too much Cult Of Personality. Childish "California Squid Dude" writing style

Cycle News: Not enough general interest content.

I agree that CycleShark was a gutless wonder. All smoke and mirrors and no content. It billed itself as a "total source of rider accessories." Where?

Too bad Andy Goldfine only publishes his Aerostich catalogue once every couple of years. Very good reading. High quality stuff.

If it don't come from Andy, I buy it from the local non-affiliated tires, leathers and helmets guy. They know my name, give me a decent price, and if I have any problems, they fix it. Sure, I could save another 5% by going mail order (Aerostich excluded) or on the web, but that 5% is well worth it.

As far as Cyberzines, MO seems to be the only one that is committed to hanging in here for the long haul. Others seemed to have published Issue One, then gone off and spent their advert income with no regard for the future.

MO's writing could be better, and I hope it does improve, but it is satisfactory. Good product evaluations. Just the right touch of irreverence without sounding childish. No whiz-bang graphics, just good timely indformation.

Besides, a URL of "www.motorcycle.com" can't hurt.

RichReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 07:58 AM   #8
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Re: cycleshark went under

Wait.. so let me get this straight; CycleShark thought they could sell stuff at retail? What kind of idiot thought that? Here they were, publishing online, to a user base that has access and often motivation to check and compare prices from multiple different suppliers; result? nobody pays retail any more. It amazes me that e-companies seem to forget the convenience of price comparisons offered by the internet. I agree and echo a previous comment in this thread that I will ONLY pay retail to support my local dealer (a) to avoid shipping costs and (b) because he provides me with the chance to see what I'm getting in person before it shows up on my doorstep with a 15% restocking fee.

Thank God for the internet; survival of the fittest.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 09:09 AM   #9
Durandel
Founding Member

Default Bad Information?

1 million unique users a month? Come on.

MO is a great site but please be realistic and truthful.

http://www.top9.com/automotive/motorcycles.html
Durandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 09:34 AM   #10
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Looked it up, listed as non-standard. Why use irregardless when regardless means the same thing and is shorter by a syllable?
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote