Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2001 Milan Show (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/859-2001-milan-show.html)

sanchin 09-25-2001 02:43 PM

Re: 2001 Milan Show

That Suzuki looks like a great bike. A comfortable bike with the TL1000 engine would be about as good a package as I could dream of. PLEASE BRING IT TO THE U.S. !

DialedIN 09-25-2001 03:19 PM

Bring it with a bandit price tag, then I'm sold...

MrSpucial 09-25-2001 03:30 PM

2001 Milan Show

Hope Aprilia can build alittle more up to the NY Show in February. Blue Marlin? Maybe those Ducati MHE900 owners are going to be on E-Bay abit more. Benelli with a limited edition SBK Tornado? Did they even start selling regular ones yet? 998R? Wow I gotta make room on my walls for the new posters....

starvingstudent 09-25-2001 04:16 PM

GO HYOSUNG!

The more competition the better. Bring over cheap do-it-all roadsters. That way Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki can concentrate fully on flagship-type bikes for those with disposable income, yet the rest of us still have a decent choice of cheap bikes.

Nepenthe 09-25-2001 04:56 PM

Not a chance. Not going to see it in the US.

Suzuki's new US offerings this year are pretty slim. A couple new colors, barely upgraded SV suspension. Oh, and didn't they cancel the TL?

ihavebigpecs 09-25-2001 04:58 PM

Re: GO HYOSUNG!

I must have the comet!!!! the greatest bike ever!!! please bring it to the US. can you tell i'm korean?!

SeanAlexander 09-25-2001 06:12 PM

I'll take a Blue Marlin and a 998S please.

Way to go Aprillia! that thing is beautiful!

schipwreck 09-25-2001 06:13 PM

It's not V-Storm, it's V-Strom. Don't know why, but it is.

Either way, it looks like a TDM.

schipwreck 09-25-2001 06:19 PM

I dunno, I think there's a decent selection out there now. Plenty of cheap lightweight cruisers, the GS500 for entry-level naked bike, the Ninja 500 for entry-level sport... Plus you get an established dealer/parts/support network.

But yeah, competition's good. I wish Hyosung (sp?) luck. The Comet's neat.

schipwreck 09-25-2001 06:22 PM

BTW, I used to be a starving student myself. Now I'm a starving adult. That's why I bought a new Bandit 600 this year for $5500. Couldn't be happier.

neoyetif2 09-25-2001 06:22 PM

Yeah I thought TDM the first time I saw a photo of it. I had a TDM. I think it was a little ahead of its time. The motor could have been stronger and the bike should have been lighter. Other wise I loved that bike. It seems like several knew bikes have taken some design clues from the TDM.

neoyetif2 09-25-2001 06:24 PM

ughhh... replace "knew" with "new".

I is a grate speler.

starvingstudent 09-25-2001 06:59 PM

To make you jealous/frustrated

You know that Europe is getting a new TDM 900 with an aluminum frame, right? Motorcycledaily did a bit on it.

Don't worry, though--when the US turns all of Europe into the 51st state, we'll get those bikes too.

boxjoint 09-25-2001 07:38 PM

Yamaha Screwed Up!!!!

Overall, I think that Honda gave us the most this year. Correct me if am wrong, but did Yamaha solidify their lineup for the USA??? If so, they handed the Sport Touring keys to Honda (VFR, ST1300) and Kawasaki (ZZR1200). Just from reading posts on MO, people have been BEGGING Yamaha to send us the FJ1300R stateside. If this is the case, I can't see anybody holding out for the FJ and purchasing any one of the aforementioned models instead. Yamaha has a large selection of cruisers but offer slim pickins' in terms of sport models (Although the new silver R1 is HOT).

My personal favorite of this year would be the ZZR1200. Sure, the Honda models might have a little more technology, but the ZZR looks like a classy and simple ST for the masses. The color shown on this site for that model looks very good as well. My opinion might change after we see all of the Suzuki models for 2002 in Paris. I would like to see if they updated my favorite sport bike...The TL1000R.

HyperBusa 09-25-2001 07:46 PM

That Suzuki V-StRom (not Storm) is the ugliest POS I've ever seen. The Gilera 600 is pretty cool looking, and the Aprilia is also hideous. I'm glad we will never be riding some of these. Looks aren't everything, but holy crapola!! A limit must be set! ;-)

guzzi 09-25-2001 08:17 PM

U.S. wonÂ’t be getting V-Strom, TDM, new HawkGT or anything else besides Cruiser, tourer and sports bike anytime soon, because in this country motorcycle is basically a hobby, roads are wide and straight and there are plenty of parking spot for cars in the most of the country. And there are only 3 kinds of motorcyclist; Cruiser, tourer and sports bike.

In order for the big 4 to bring "something else" they would need to produce & import in mass quantity like the rest of the models to keep the price down but since the sales forecast will most likely be low the price for these "something else" models would be little high.

Then,

Cruiser guys who only ride few blocks (the most ignorant people but the biggest market) would say; "whereÂ’s the chrome", "it ainÂ’t low & long"

Tourer guys, who are the most picky people would say; "whereÂ’s the fairing, or itÂ’s too small", "whereÂ’s the hard bags, shaft drive, heat grip, ABS and etcÂ…", "motorÂ’s too buzzy, too small", "need something comfortable for 1000 mile a day ride"

Sports bike guys who are the most simple minded people would say; "too expensive, rather buy SV or CBR", "not fast enough", "more power!"

The big 4 says, "screw you guys, IÂ’m going home" (Eric Cartman / South Park). TheyÂ’re going to sell these somewhere else!

ozstrider 09-25-2001 10:09 PM

Re: Yamaha Screwed Up!!!!

The FJR1300 has been on sale in Australia for some time. However, you can't get the bags for it! A sport tourer without bags is like a sportsbike with no ground clearance.

Not interested. I'll stick with my '95 ST1100.

johnz 09-26-2001 01:38 AM

Comet ?

Now theres an ominous name for a piece of transport machinery...

tony 09-26-2001 03:19 AM

far as I know they haven't released the Us offerings for this year. So far it was just early releases back in June. Bikes they sold out of in 2001.

Tony

pplassm 09-26-2001 03:27 AM

C'mon, Schip, the GS and EX haven't changed in years. They need updating badly. Have to agree the Bandits are good deals, although the 600 needs more motor.

Pete P.

szentthomas 09-26-2001 03:28 AM

I agree. Please Aprilia bring it over just like it is.

pplassm 09-26-2001 03:28 AM

What?

No new dirt bikes?

Pete P.

NickdaBrick 09-26-2001 03:51 AM

Huge New Scooters

I kind of like the huge new scooters (Silver Wing, Burgman 650, Aprilia Atlantic 500). They look like ideal commuter bikes; comfortable, convenient, fun, and fast enough to blow by the cars. You guys should do at least do a full test of the Silver Wing.

As for the Blue Marlin? Throw it back.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 09-26-2001 06:00 AM

Re: Huge New Scooters

How long before we get an Open-class scooter? (Oh, forgot: Gold Wing.) Now that they've gotten to the point where they're highway-capable and I don't have any more objective problems, I guess I have to admit it: Emotions rule. I still think they look twerpy, and you'll never get me off of a real motorcycle to have one.

And as someone who laments the disappearance of the original Speed Triple, the Blue Marlin (head-scratcher of a name aside) sounds thrilling. Maybe it looks a little odd, but I bet it'll be a rush to ride.

12er 09-26-2001 06:02 AM

Re: Huge New Scooters

Dont like the marlin, bummer. I think its pretty cool and looks better than the ducati MH900e... Looks like one hell of a hooligan bike. Wheelies anyone?

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:24 AM

Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see" with the FJR1300. See how the new Honda and Kawasaki sport tourers do. Though the Honda, like the old ST1100, is practically a GoldWing IMO, the Kawasaki at least has a chain for those midcorner corrections. The two bikes are very interesting, targeting different segments within the particular ST niche.

I predict strong sales for both, followed by entry of Yamaha next year, which will have dissapointing sales due to the fact that the customers already have new bikes.

Yamaha remembers the GTS fiasco. That bike was an amazing sport tourer but they lost a lot of money on it.

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:30 AM

So true LOL!

THe V-Strom is fricking hideous as hell anyway.

jwgrantism 09-26-2001 06:33 AM

Ducati released the Multistrada - an adventure bike based on a revised air cooled motor. Yet you failed to mention it. I'm not a fan of big on-off road machines but I am excited about updates to the air cooled motor, i.e. reduced included valve angle, etc. I think that this motor would go nice into a monster ... I can see it now, a new air cooled monster with the styling of the limited edition foggy s4 !!!

tbuse 09-26-2001 06:40 AM

I really like the look of the Gilera. It looks like the bike is snarling at the world. However, I don't know if I really want to ride a bike that appears to have a bullseye painted on the side.

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:41 AM

Answers.

>>Kawa is finally coming out with something of a sports-tourer besides the ancient Concours and it doesn't have FI...? It's hard to see much difference between the two. Are they going to have both in the line-up? >Honda has an ST1300 but, we don't get to see it for another year, maybe. Hey, maybe I can finally afford an ST1100 when they sell them at firesale prices...yeah, right! >>Why doesn't Yama'ma bring that sports-tourer to the U.S.? >>For that matter, how come Suzuki doesn't even bother with sports-tourers? >How's Triumph ever going to sell those Trophy 1200's, when they could barely compete up 'till now? >>At least the Sprint ST is getting even better... >>>Can you tell I'm looking for a sports tourer but I can't make up my mind? 'Thought so! ;^)<<<<

Yes! :-) My only advice is don't be afraid of a chain on a sport touring bike. It's not a problem, they're easy to maintain. I've got 45K+ on my GPZ including MANY multi-thousand mile weeks on the road and the chain has never been a nuisance once. (well - once but that was the shops fault). And the engine (similar to that in the new ZZR) has been bulletproof and incredibly stong, even with the bike FULLY LOADED.

Philbiker 09-26-2001 06:55 AM

The real answers. That other post is messed up.

The last post got screwed up because I used the greater and less than signs to quote. DOH!!!

]]]]Speaking of sports-tourers:

let's see now; Kawa is finally coming out with something of a sports-tourer besides the ancient Concours and it doesn't have FI...? It's hard to see much difference between the two. Are they going to have both in the line-up? [[[[[

Concourse: old tech steel frame, '80s motor, shaft drive, all inclusive (luggage included) sport tourer. Age: 14 years.

ZZR: newer tech aluminum frame, new motor,chain drive, luggage optional. Age: 0 years. Based heavily on ZX-11 and ZRX12.

I would be shocked if both were in the lineup ever again. I think this bike rings the death knell for the old Concours. I would like to see this bike named "Concours" in the USA but don't think it will happen. The ZZR is a successor to the ZX-11 GT bike. In '95 when the GPZ1100, a very similar bike to the ZZR12, came out, the Concours was temporarily dropped.

]]]]Why doesn't Yama'ma bring that sports-tourer to the U.S.?[[[[

The last time Yamaha brought an excellent high tech high dollar sports-tourer to the USA it got badly burned. The GTS1000, great bike that it is, was a very poor seller (that's being generous) despite it's technical excellence. They don't want to make that mistake again.

]]]]] For that matter, how come Suzuki doesn't even bother with sports-tourers? [[[[[

The Bandit 1200 can be used as a Sport Tourer. However, Suzy doesn't seem interested in the market. The Sport touring bike buyer usually keeps their bike a long long time and they are small in number. So small numbers + low turnover = not a lot of sales.

]]]How's Triumph ever going to sell those Trophy 1200's, when they could barely compete up 'till now? [[[[

Good question. :-)

]]]Can you tell I'm looking for a sports tourer but I can't make up my mind? 'Thought so! ;^) [[[[

Yes! :-) My only advice is don't be afraid of a chain on a sport touring bike. It's not a problem, they're easy to maintain. I've got 45K+ on my GPZ including MANY multi-thousand mile weeks on the road and the chain has never been a nuisance once. (well - once but that was the shops fault). And the engine (similar to that in the new ZZR) has been bulletproof and incredibly stong, even with the bike FULLY LOADED.

turboguzzi 09-26-2001 07:22 AM

hey jwgrantism

looks like you haven't been following the news in MO lately...

NickdaBrick 09-26-2001 07:44 AM

Who are those guys?

I found this:

http://www.hyosungmotors.co.kr/

Copy and paste in the location bar, and it will take you to the Hyosung site. Unfortunately, it's in Korean. They sell weird little cruisers for Korean Brando wannabes. Who knows, they might sell in the U.S. if they're cheap enough.

HyperBusa 09-26-2001 09:16 AM

Dirt bikes?

What are those? ;)

RonXX 09-26-2001 09:52 AM

Comet

I like the idea of the Comet, but it looks to be a home market type bike. Sure it's a stereotype, but I think that the seat to peg distance looks to have been designed with the average Chinese person in mind. I bet it would fit most American women pretty well though.

hamatsu 09-26-2001 09:59 AM

have another one....

teeheehee...the 51st state. Move away from the bong now and go have a twinkie or donut with some chocolate milk.

panthercity 09-26-2001 10:02 AM

Re: Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

Are we talking S&M here or bikes?

Exactly what midcorner corrections require a chain?

panthercity 09-26-2001 10:08 AM

Re: The real answers. That other post is messed up.

"In '95 when the GPZ1100, a very similar bike to the ZZR12, came out, the Concours was temporarily dropped. "

I sure it had nothing to do with the thousands of unsold Concours sitting at dealers and in the three US warehouses...

`Course it was great for me. I got a brand new bike in `96 for under $4k! LOL all the way to the bank...

Nepenthe 09-26-2001 11:28 AM

Re: Maybe Yamaha wants to "wait and see"

Lol, I was wondering that myself.

I guess he's referring to the driveline lash/shaft delay caused by shaft final drive as opposed to chain drive when using throttle to control cornering speed, attitude and lean angle, which could hamper 'midcorner corrections'.

But I don't think "midcorner corrections require a chain" is necessarily true at all.

mce63 09-26-2001 11:33 AM

Especially when you think about the history of the Comet airliner.