Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Open Twins Shootout: The Street (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1190-open-twins-shootout-street.html)

R1TCHIE 04-29-2002 09:34 AM

Re: Open Twins Shootout: The Street

I've really been looking forward to this comparo but now have to admit to some disappointment. The "R" version of the Mille should not have been used in this group. I know you have to be aware of the significant advantage in its suspension/wheel set-up. It's an advantage that will carry through in all three phases of testing.

Slightly bummed.

yogre 04-29-2002 10:24 AM

Well, I think it should have been split into 2 seperate comparo's:

Mille vs RC51

Mille R vs 998

While the Mille is still more expensive than the RC51, they stack up better price-wise. The R & the 998 are priced in the same range as well.

I would also love to see a Mille vs Mille R' head to head... See just what these extras are worth...

john 04-29-2002 10:33 AM

Re: gotta love those street savvy columns...

I admire Kent and his abilities, but i dislike his writing and his magazine. They seems to write for sensationalism, everything is VERY good or it sucks. when you are talking about bikes, a cesspool of personal choice, sport rider seems to give the most biased, whiny, touchy feely articles i ever see. I find very few little information regarding a real world perspective on the bikes they test than i do from almost any other magazine. I guess that why i stopped the american mags in general, all they are is reguritations of ***** and moan. Bike or Performance bike has the formula spot on. Entertaining to read while still delivering tons of info about the bike that can be quantified, and also a very clear picture on how the bike behaves "in the real world"

john 04-29-2002 10:35 AM

Get with the program maniac: Re: gotta love those street savvy columns...

There are as many newbies on GSXR 1000's and 929's as there are on 600's. The bike doesn't make the rider, unfortunately.

newbies dont equal squids either. squids have no interest in becoming better riders.

john 04-29-2002 10:43 AM

Re: how can you NOT hate them all ...?

Valk, no they arent. They are the equivalent of getting Ferrari priced performance out of a honda civic priced package. Everything about a sportbike is function first. They wrap a little bit of plastic around a super efficient motor and a chassis made to provide the best possible handling and braking. How again are they like SUV's?

I would imagine the biking equivalent of an SUV to have lots of chrome, be very heavy, go turn and stop quite poorly due to its bulk, and be selling like hotcakes. Yep, there is your Cadillac escalade of the biking world; can you guess what it is??

pattonme 04-29-2002 11:49 AM

change your own bloody tires!

Geez, such whining!! Skin some knuckles, spend $100 on a tire changer and do it your bloody self. Is the Honda a pain in the ass to take the rims off? How does the Duc compare? How much of a bother is it to change the oil on these examples of insane excess?

I'll agree with other 'older' riders (though I'm not one) as to being mystified why anyone would actually buy these things. Someone posted that he could do 100mile stints in relative comfort. Say what? Try 200 miles without stopping. 5 minutes to fill the tank and get back in motion. I know it's sacriledge to imply that bikes should be considered a simple form of transportation but since most of us are street commuters anyway, how about an SV, GS, Ninja 500, Monster, Hornet comparision? There's a "twins" comparo that has merit. Everybody and their grandmother has MC journo's who repeat the same, tired emphasis on ludicrous-speed bat-mobiles that really only posers pretend to ride.

Differentiate!! RIght now MO's value position compared to the half dozen other rags is about nil. And another poster was right, the UK mags do a stand-up job. Actually entertaining writing and no lack of useful commentary paired with stats and pics.

jhayton 04-29-2002 01:00 PM

FWIW I prefer my reviews in small bite-sized morsels fed to me over the course of a week or so. That way I can read one in a break from work (where else would i waste time on the web!) and I have two or three more breaks to look forward to...

my twopence

granny 04-29-2002 01:38 PM

I have enough miles on my bikes and my body to know a masochistic bike when I ride one, and the Duc is not one. If the Ducati were truly uncomfortable to ride then no one would ride road bicycles since virtually every road bicycle positions the bars below seat height whereas the Duc places the bars above the seat. I think that complaints about the Ducati being uncomfortable are actually rooted in riding style not ergonomic design.

yogre 04-29-2002 01:48 PM

Re: change your own bloody tires!

So what you are saying is that the ultimate scale on which motorcycle's should be compared to is comfort?

Personaly, I don't give a rats ass how comfortable my Mille R is. It is a lot less comfortable than my old F4 and is much more fun to ride (for me at least). I'm sure a Goldwing would be even more comfortable but if it's comfort I was looking for, I'd stay home on my lazyboy and watch Motorcyclist on Speedvision.

KPaulCook 04-29-2002 02:03 PM

Get with the program maniac: Re: gotta love those street savvy columns...

Your repsonse makes absolutely no sense i.e what is your point. I was responsing to a racist response and you say uh you know there are as many ... and squids are .... pull your head out of your tail pipe.