Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Open Twins Shootout: The Street (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1190-open-twins-shootout-street.html)

badsac 04-27-2002 10:05 PM

I agree

The TLR is the only twin I have ever ridden. I was intoxicated with it when I first started riding it. The engine was awesome. But after the first set of twists I knew the thing wasn't for me. It just didn't handle very well.

I agree, that engine in a good chassis would be my next bike.

Why Suzuki refuse to build on what is still a good start is beyond me.

Alan 04-28-2002 04:44 AM

Re: Open Twins Shootout: The Street

Thanks Captain, I will try one....

what's there website address?

Is your exhaust system REALLY loud?

Thanks again.

Alan

2000 RC51

2002 Gas Gas XC300

gibhunter 04-28-2002 06:13 AM

And don't forget about including wet weight of these bikes. We all know to take the factory numbers with a bag (not a grain) of salt. You used to do this for your old reviews, then why not for the new ones.

Captain_1 04-28-2002 07:22 AM

Alan,

I bought mine from Kyle Racing in California. They also have some nice pieces for the 51. You can order direct from powercommander.com, but I would go to ebay - there were some listed this morning at $175.

The Akrapovic titanium system sounds AUTHORITATIVE. Its deeper-toned and louder than stock but not obnoxious. At idle, I would compare it to adding a powered subwoofer to your home theater -- it shakes the ground a bit, but not as much as the disturbance created by my Confederate Hellcat. The weight savings and delicious burnished gold/blue hue of hot titanium, is an additional bonus.

john 04-28-2002 10:24 AM

I agree with suzuki needing a twin, but the TL motor would NOT work. They would need to stack the engine/gearbox quite a bit to make the motor short enough to use a conventional rear suspension. I think this would require an extensive redesign, just for the motor, nonetheless a brand spankin new chassis to put it in.

bip 04-28-2002 11:29 AM

I must be the only one that thought this article was *****, i dont want to hear you *****, i want to read about the bikes.

bip 04-28-2002 11:30 AM

Re: Open Twins Shootout: The Street, edited version

**** -> not good

***** -> complain

mph9146 04-28-2002 12:49 PM

The Mille and the Falco share the same motor, except for the fact that the Mille has more compression. They share the same camshafts, but differ in their injection mapping. My dealer's mechanic has higher compression pistons, an RSV re-map, and SL Carbon exhaust, and his Falco can keep up with any Mille or 998 for that matter.

Hey MO, how about a naked twin comparo (Falco, SuperHawk, BMW R1100S)?

TheFox 04-28-2002 01:21 PM

They have done all that and more...look at the V-Strom. TL1000 motor, new chassis (ok, so it's not a sportbike chassis per se, but it is a new frame) and it also hasa conventional rear suspension.

--Foxy

TheFox 04-28-2002 01:23 PM

You got a Hellcat?

So ahhh....ummm...what's your address? And do you have a powered or manual garage door? I need to know so I know what tools to bring with me...

--The Fox