Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   What is Your Secret to Good Cornering ? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4466-what-your-secret-good-cornering.html)

Rubble 05-02-2007 06:49 AM

Re: What is Your Secret to Good Cornering ?

Not letting the sides of the bike touch the ground!

Rub

brianzx9r 05-02-2007 07:21 AM

Shift your weight, keep your head up and look through the corner, be smooth on the brakes and gas.....if that doesn't work go to Fast Freddie Spencers and learn how to ride.

teapotdome 05-02-2007 07:24 AM

Target fixation -- look where you WANT to go, not where you're afraid you'll end up.

Lean, and then lean some more -- most riders panic when they enter a turn too hot. Dial in a little more lean, even to the point of pressing your outside knee against the tank to push the bike into the turn.

Ride within your own helmet -- listening to your inner screaming school girl might help you avoid your own private Darwinism...

ejis 05-02-2007 07:27 AM

Trust your bike. It will (usually) be able to turn much faster than you are able to. If you get in too hot, look through the turn, lean the bike farther, and roll on the throttle (a little bit).

In my completely unscientific and unverifiable research, I'd say the most common mistakes in a corner are:

Target fixation - look where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid.

Impropper use of brakes/throttle - rolling on the throttle slightly raises the bike up on the suspesion giving you more cornering clearance and transfers weight to the rear tire, reducing the likelyhood of a front end slide.

Panicking - when many riders get in to a corner too fast or see something they're not expecting, a common reaction is to hit the brakes and stand the bike up.

Now I'm not an expert rider by any stretch of the imagination, but I did stay at a Hoilday Inn Express last night.

zenjim 05-02-2007 07:28 AM

But my inner screaming school girl makes me listen to N'Sync, never gets off the phone and thinks that riding motorcycles is, like, so lame, ya know?

Buzglyd 05-02-2007 07:46 AM

Only ride in cornfields.

trenttheuncatchable 05-02-2007 08:04 AM

For me entry speed is key. Which in turn means proper braking before I get to the turn. Lo and behold, that's what all the texts say, too: Brake properly *before* you start the turn. As I come into the turn, rolling on the throttle the proper amount is what makes turning a smooth process. Of course, if there's oil or gravel involved, all bets are off.

SRMark 05-02-2007 08:06 AM

Training wheels.

PrairieDog 05-02-2007 08:11 AM

I'll keep it simple and sweet. There are 4 words that you need to learn and practice.

Those words are:

Slow - slow down to a proper entry speed.

Look - look into and through the turn.

Press - press the handgrip in the direction you want to go.

Roll - add some throttle to stabilize the bike.

Works just fine. Once you get them all working together, there is not a corner in the world you can ride safely!

Aero_Doc 05-02-2007 08:12 AM

Take a corner so that you subconsciously smile in a way only fellow MOs understand :) The conscious points I consider are:

1. How am I feeling today/now...tired-stressed etc

2. Can I see the apex and have I got the radius of the corner sussed.. ie increasing or decreasing? If I dont know I assume the worst (increasing radius)

3. What is the camber like on this corner... favourable or unfavourable?

I generally use these to get the entry speed and position into the corner, find the apex and look out of the corner as I apply smooth acceleration.... this probably makes me the slowest guy around :)

I recently did a 800km ride out into the country side - taking sweepers at a speed that initiated the above mentioned smile. Great lifestyle this....

seruzawa 05-02-2007 08:14 AM

There are no problems with corners. There are only incompetent bikers.

One should find a track or deserted road where one can to practice find his cornering limits on his particular bike. Read books by Keith Code,etc. Take a track school.

As a rule of thumb on public roads stay within a reasonable range of those posted yellow corner speed signs. Some of those signs are too slow but some are pretty good indicators. If you want to "push the limits" then go to a track. Pushing extra hard on public roads means you will eventually bite it extra hard. Who knows when you will come around that corner and find a patch of gravel, an elk, a stick or a broken down pickup truck with the banjo player on back?

I've gone without a crash since 1972 simply by A) gradiently practicing on each bike I buy and B) keeping the speed within a reasonable magnitude.

SmokeU 05-02-2007 08:15 AM

I use a .22mag for prairie dog hunting.

giuliom 05-02-2007 08:17 AM

Read the article by Nick Ienatsch (sp?) on The Pace. Great classic article on non-track riding. Some of the main points are smoothness and entry speed (plus correct turn in point, of course). I try to do the same and unless I am really pushing, one of my favorite things to do is to see how fast I can go without touching the brakes at all (ideally, or touching them as little as possible) when I am up the Angeles Crest and other twisty roads.

Gritboy 05-02-2007 08:23 AM

People afraid to lean/corner need to ride a bike aggressively through corners first to get over that "fear" then add a motor.

You can't learn without trying and refining what doesn't work... just don't do it a 100+mph.

Gritboy 05-02-2007 08:24 AM

Doh! I meant to say... "ride a bicycle aggressively through corners first to get over that "fear" then add a motor."

szazbo 05-02-2007 09:18 AM

I consider cornering to be the most exciting and dangerous aspect of motorcycling. In my early years, I had a bad habit of target fixation and would panic if I entered a corner too fast. I would look at places that I DIDN'T want to go and was surprised and dismayed that I always went there. Although I rarely crashed, I scared myself silly enough times to (finally) realize that, on a motorcycle, you go where you look. This realization dawned upon me when I narrowly escaped driving off of a cliff while looking at the beautiful scenery. The approaching corner had a posted 10 mph speed limit sign ... I was travelling about 60 mph. As I frantically braked for the turn, I looked into a beautiful valley that was ahead of me - and 300 feet below. I applied maximum brakes (and threw out anchors, popped parachutes, prayed and promised to wash my own underwear) and managed to stop within a yard of the "big drop". I though to myself, "the turn is right here, why didn't you look at it?". After catching my breath and recovering from my extreme embarrassment ('cuz my buddies saw my mistake and casually rounded the corner), I continued. Since then I am constantly reminding myself to LOOK THROUGH THE TURN ... I can check out the scenery afterwards.

sarnali2 05-02-2007 09:20 AM

Like totally

sarnali2 05-02-2007 09:26 AM

smooth and steady is the key, you never know what's in the road or backing out of a blind driveway. Stay in your own lane and watch for sand and debris built up in the center of the lane, specially this time of year. All that sand they threw down last winter for the snow has to go somewhere.

tripleripple 05-02-2007 09:40 AM

Buy a Buell.

longride 05-02-2007 09:52 AM

Works for me.

RubberLegs 05-02-2007 10:02 AM

I intentionally practice cornering with a particular bike and gear. This helps me develop muscle memory and a sense of the limits of my skills and the limits of my bike. I try to also practice under less than ideal conditions; wet road, bumpy surface, going in to fast, etc, to help develop proper "automatic" responses to feedback from the road. This helps me avoid the panic response. If it was feasible, I would practice crashing, but that could be dangerous and expensive.

testcase 05-02-2007 10:19 AM

My inner screaming schoolgirl is tied up with rubber straps and has a ballgag in her mouth.

Kreb_Cycle 05-02-2007 10:29 AM

Freeway commuting is by far the most dangerous aspect of motorcycling, especially right at the beginning of rush hour when traffic is tight and moving fast but starting to slow. Good post though.

ksquid 05-02-2007 10:41 AM

kpaul sez

Besides looking where you want to go, one of the things I have found useful is to roll off the throttle and increase your lean angle. Now when I mentioned this before on MO, the usual kbashers (GPTB) ridiculed it.. But it actually comes from experts with far more experience than the GPTB (who are famous for wrong old wives tales)

[*]"If you come into a turn a little too fast, roll off the throttle gently and force yourself to keep your vision fixed on the exit; donÂ’t panic and stare at the outside of the corner or the hazard youÂ’re trying to avoid." Read More

[*]I also use the rear brake to stabilize the bike when I am going down hill into my favorite corkscrew. Again that is controversial but I did read this in famous Bike magazine (UK)

[b][i]

..kpaul says read these tips

ksquid 05-02-2007 10:46 AM

This applies to if you are going into a corner too fast

I should of put that disclaimer first..

ksquid 05-02-2007 11:00 AM

Disagree.. riding up 99 is more dangerous than a freeway like I-5.. Why?
[*]Traffic going both ways..without a separator
[*]Left turning cars..
[*]Traffic entering from side streets.
[*]Stop light red light cheaters.

Freeway traffic is easiest in my experiece

Who is the lunatic/idiot now khacker?

ksquid 05-02-2007 11:17 AM

That explains a lot.. Can't wait to get you on the track.. You get MO to reserve the track I'll be there...I love standing up to bullies..

Grahamcollins 05-02-2007 11:28 AM

Look at the little yellow signs for a review of which way the road is going to turn.

Get in the position that gives the best view of the bend ie the extreme right hand side of your lane for a left bend and the extreme left side of you lane for a right.

Slow coming into the turn and get the bike in the right gear so as to be in the middle of the power band. You have engine braking and thrust available as needed with an adjustment of the wrist.

Slow with the engine and stay off the brakes.

Delay your apex until you can see through the bend and then roll on the throttle as you exit.

The biggest reason bikes run off turns is too high a gear. It takes additional throttle just to keep the bike at a constant speed when it is turning and you need more still to keep the bike leaned over.

This is the time proven method used by British Police Riders. The system is called Road Craft.

One other tip, Decreasing and increasing radi corners don't have to be a mystery. The vanishing point is the spot where the two edges of the road ahead appear to converge. You are already looking through the turn right? so watch this point and if it is coming towards you the radius is decreasing so back off on the throttle until you see it move away from you. This means the bend is opening up. Open the throttle and chase the vanishing point out of the bend.

SRMark 05-02-2007 11:31 AM

You are so dearly screwed now. Quick, throw a black cat under a ladder.

ksquid 05-02-2007 11:34 AM

About that back brake thing (kpaul is right again)

"3. The rear brake can be used to slow the bike slightly and tighten the cornering radius of the motorcycle, but first get used to the sensitivity of the rear brake so as not to lock it up. Don't slam the throttle shut in the middle of a corner as overloading the front end could cause it to wash out. As the corner tightens, simply dial in more lean angle, which shouldn't be a problem since you left some in reserve, right?" Read More

Kreb_Cycle 05-02-2007 12:25 PM

Well, I didn't designate which freeway. Personally I think 405 is more dangerous than either, especially right at the beginning of it in tukwilla where there are lots of exits and entrances.

Also, on 99 (especially in the sections where there are lights and cross streets) people are expecting change; they're not complacently zooming along. And they don't go 75 mph on 99 either.

Easiest does not mean safest. When rush hour is just beginning cars are packed together tightly, but still moving fast. Everyone is trying to get home quickly before the traffic gets worse. It's impossible to keep space in front of you because someone will keep filling the gap. Also, inevitably someone in front of you will slow up. Often it's hard to have an exit on either side since the traffic is tight. Just the other day I was in this situation and almost died of fright when a truck skidded to a stop behind me and a van skidded behind him; I watched in my mirrors are he skidded; I put my bike between the car in front of me and the one to the right but I still fully expected to be rammed into.

Once it becomes slower it's not as bad, but I really hate tight fast moving freeway traffic.

Anyway, go screw yourself.

longride 05-02-2007 12:30 PM

Explaining yourself to an idiot? Bad! Hell, all I need to do everything to set up a race at Willow Springs that he challenged me to. Maybe I can pay his expenses to get there too. He likes standing up to bullies ya know......as long as that bully is 2000 miles from his face. Too bad I never heard a peep from him when he was only 10 miles from my house that he has never seen, but knew how much I made because if it. Remember, he's just a joke worth referring to, but never respond to it directly.

ksquid 05-02-2007 12:46 PM

I'll pay my way.. My wife wants to come as well.. She thinks you are bully too... I only call you one cause you always refer to physical violence i.e how you want to punch me etc... I was only in Chicago for a day... and a night..

ksquid 05-02-2007 12:56 PM

That doesn't make sense. Hell 405 is only 3 lanes and one is HOV... I-5 has 4,5 sometimes 6 lanes etc.

I think sarnail could be a good judge of which freeway is harder.. Too me 167 and 405 are easier compared to I-5 because they have less lanes less shyt can go wrong.. 405 is somewhat worse than 405 cause of all the snotty SUV traffic on the east side..

ksquid 05-02-2007 01:00 PM

Correction

405 is somewhat worse than 167 cause of all the snotty SUV traffic on the east side.. P.S. I have commuted on my bike on all three. I-5 was harder but still easier than 99

ksquid 05-02-2007 01:14 PM

Excellent points.. Yep that branch caught be by surprise and screwed up royally trying to go around it..

Jonniedee 05-02-2007 01:19 PM

Yes all suggestions are mot when there's a hiding pile of GRAVEL :-(

Buzglyd 05-02-2007 01:19 PM

You better watch LR. The lunatic is replying to his own posts again.

Let\'s switch it up for the "big race." You crack the jokes and I\'ll punch him.

Kreb_Cycle 05-02-2007 01:22 PM

I guess I was just clarifying my position to everyone who actually rides. The only part addressed specifically to him was the last sentence. But you\'re right, I shouldn\'t have wasted the energy.

longride 05-02-2007 01:43 PM

His wife is coming to the \'big race\' too. I guess she wants to see what a man looks like.