Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Landspeed Record Biodiesel Bike To Be Star At Biodiesel Conf. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4272-landspeed-record-biodiesel-bike-star-biodiesel-conf.html)

ajenkins 01-31-2007 06:58 AM

Re: Landspeed Record Biodiesel Bike To Be Star At Biodiesel Conf.

Very cool. Maybe one of the mainline metric cruiser producers will produce a v-twin that will get 120 miles per gallon of corn oil. Two-wheeled picnicking gets so much easier, too: just attach a fryer basket to the crankcase & voila. The possibilities are endless. Bad for the arteries, but endless.

Buzglyd 01-31-2007 06:59 AM

Sounds like diesel bikes are slower than Harleys.

Sportbike fans outta love this. I say we make it mandatory and then we won't have to worry about father/son duos terrorizing the streets on sportbikes at 150 mph.

Buzglyd 01-31-2007 07:00 AM

I just want the concession stand for Stain Free Dockers and pocket protectors at this conference.

Fenton 01-31-2007 07:10 AM

Tiered biodiesel, you can't just jump straight to corn.

longride 01-31-2007 07:17 AM

I'll go with Horn Rim glasses repair. I can retire after a day or two at the biogeek conference.

schizuki 01-31-2007 07:21 AM

Isn't that just a piece of white tape? Nice mark-up.

ksquid 01-31-2007 07:23 AM

Pictures of the bike

"Introducing Die Moto, a custom-built performance diesel motorcycle capable of running on diesel, biodiesel, or straight vegetable oil (SVO) fuels."

Readmore , see the bike and watch the video

[b][i]

kpaul, the GMP, predicts and then it happens...

HelterSkelter 01-31-2007 07:38 AM

I'm hungry.

Everytime a biodiesel powered vehicle goes by me I have an overwhelming urge to go the chippy. What's wrong with me?

BrowningBAR 01-31-2007 07:41 AM

You know, I would really like an alternative to oil. At the very least it would create a competitive market and prevent OPEC from acting like the Mob.

But none of these concepts ever really make it.

The Hybrid cars currently do not even get the claimed gas mileage that has been widely reported.

I keep seeing these supposed concept cars that get a hundred miles to the gallon or some other marketing ploy claim.

About 5 years ago I saw a report on a Chrysler convertible sports car that supposedly ran on hydrogen or some alternative fuel. And it was visually appealing and performance oriented. Yet I never heard about it again.

And WHY do 99% of the alternative fueled experiments have sh!tty visual designs. Just because it's different doesn't mean the design needs to look like a 60s sci-fi movie.

schizuki 01-31-2007 07:46 AM

Re: I'm hungry.

"Go the chippy"? Is that a British thing?

BrowningBAR 01-31-2007 07:48 AM

Yep.

ksquid 01-31-2007 07:54 AM

Here is a great set of links that talk about biodiesel vs other fuels. As Buz and others have said about hydrogen and electric vehicles the problem is how to generate all of that electricity (nukes, coal, ?).

Read more

[i]Just to preempt some questions, I should say that kpaul doesn't have a biodiesel car yet..

We get special deals on Chrysler products (we have family and friends that sell them) and so far we haven't needed to replace our cars yet. We have had 5 Chryslers since 1997 and all have been great. When Chrysler makes a diesel car we like we will buy it.

HelterSkelter 01-31-2007 07:57 AM

Fish and chip shop...chippy.

acecycleins 01-31-2007 07:57 AM

I was wondering if it smells like "potato potato potato"? I was also wondering if fries came with that? Which leads me to the obvious- will it pop popcorn?

If the motorcycle indusrty would take hold of this we could see a new generation of dual purpose, or off road enjoyment. Just think of how environmentally friendly it would be for the tree huggers.

Buzglyd 01-31-2007 08:00 AM

The first bio fuel vehicle is the Patty Wagon in the Spongebob movie. Dual basket fryer under the hood.

Patrick: "You don't have a license."

Spongebob: "You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."

acecycleins 01-31-2007 08:01 AM

Correction- when MB starts installing diesels in Chryslers( will you buy it? ) The 5 cyl turbo is slated for some model soon (just can't remember- maybe the new Jeep Wrangler replacement) and MB puts diesels in the Sprinter already.

ksquid 01-31-2007 08:05 AM

JeepÂ’s Grand Cherokee Diesel on it's way in March

"Also arriving at dealers in March is JeepÂ’s Grand Cherokee with a 3.0-liter V-6 common-rail diesel. The Mercedes-Benz sourced motor produces 215 hp and 375-lb-ft of torque, delivering an estimated fuel economy of 20 mpg city and 24 mpg highway in four-wheel drive models."

Read More

ksquid 01-31-2007 08:06 AM

Yep your way ahead of me look at the link I just posted... MB powered Cherokee.

BrowningBAR 01-31-2007 08:18 AM

Re: JeepÂ’s Grand Cherokee Diesel on it's way in March

It only gives 20/24 per gallon?!

sarnali2 01-31-2007 08:19 AM

no, the little repair kit you attach to your belt with little screws, a screw driver and a cleaning cloth.

sarnali2 01-31-2007 08:21 AM

good point

ksquid 01-31-2007 08:33 AM

The gasoline model gets City: 12-17 mpg

Hwy: 15-22 mpg.. Not great huh...but average for SUVs So the diesel has maybe a 2-7 mpg over the gas model. But if gas hits $3.50 gal and biodiesel stays at around $3.00 / gal in Seattle cheaper in Texas ....

seruzawa 01-31-2007 08:42 AM

You guys are doing a great job with the corn today.

seruzawa 01-31-2007 08:44 AM

Best post here!

LOL!

BrowningBAR 01-31-2007 08:51 AM

How many Biodiesel station in the seattle area?

ksquid 01-31-2007 09:01 AM

Kenneth_Moore 01-31-2007 09:28 AM

The next logical step is a methane powered bike, with a capture system in the saddle for direct injection to the intake mainfold. I have a few friends who could easily power a 1200cc or greater bike that way.

Neal 01-31-2007 09:30 AM

is that 3.00 a gal bio diesel pure bio diesel or is it a 5% mix with oil based diesel?

longride 01-31-2007 09:40 AM

A couple Pabst Blue Ribbons, a few hard boiled eggs, and a plate of beans and that should do the trick.

ksquid 01-31-2007 09:41 AM

Here is great chart about prices and who are the big fleet users in Seattle

Click here

It runs about $3 - $3.50 per pure biodiesel gallon.

The_AirHawk 01-31-2007 09:44 AM

Re: Here is great chart about prices and who are the big fleet users in Seattle

You should check the Websites you're so fond of citing again - there is no "pure biodiesel" sold in North America.

Anywhere.

testcase 01-31-2007 09:45 AM

You're British? One thing I was going to say in the other thread about the chasing thing is that I think british cops are the best at chase and stop deal. Seen a clip where cops surround a runner, box him in tight, and then gradually slow down, pull over, and stop, and he couldn't do anything about it.

Not applicable maybe to the guys on bikes, but man did it make me admire the British cops after that

BrowningBAR 01-31-2007 09:48 AM

Can't do the methane. It's supposedly bad for the environment.

If they ever figure a way around that, there is supposed to by a huge amount of methane deposite underground that dwarf that of crude.

Neal 01-31-2007 09:49 AM

Does the diesel jeep warranty cover use of pure bio diesel? Im asking because when I asked this question of a salesman at the Chevy dealer regarding a diesel truck he said "no"...after looking at me like i was from Mars. I dont think he knew for real.

I have heard varying stories about whether pure bio diesel is safe to use in modern vehicles without modification to the vehicle and if warranties are voided ....apparently it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but no one seems to be able to tell me why. I talked to some "fuel experts" who work for me and they give conflicting answers too.

ksquid 01-31-2007 09:49 AM

You think? What is B100 then?

The_AirHawk 01-31-2007 09:53 AM

Not Sold, that's what it is.

B20 is what you put in your tank when you purchase Biodiesel.

ksquid 01-31-2007 09:53 AM

I don't know.. Some guy who has a VW says the new 07s are but not the older models.. But I don't know.

The_AirHawk 01-31-2007 09:54 AM

You Think?

Buzglyd 01-31-2007 09:55 AM

This message board alone could power the Interstate 5 morning commute.

seruzawa 01-31-2007 09:57 AM

Or the Governator.