Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
pudlepirate
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Fuel Mileage: Is It Important You?

I would suggest that you are comparing apples to oranges. The higher the performance of the bike the shorter the maint interval, the less the gas milage and the faster a tire disapears. consider the cost of owning a car that even starts to aproach the performance of a sportbike. last time I checked, a dodge viper can eat a set of 330 section goodyears faster than a bike can dispatch a 180 michelin (and it still can't do wheelies straight from the factory)

A commuter bike is more efficient than an econobox, a sportbike is more efficient than a sportscar and a harley is more efficient than an suv ( I think )

pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
KLRer
Founding Member

I'd like to see makers put more effort into improving gas mileage, at least on select models. If I was going to buy a real burner I might not want to sacrifice any performance for mileage but Im more interested in something light/fun, fairly quick (0 to 60 in 4 seconds or so) and freeway capable (80 mph with plenty more on tap), and 80 mpg at cruising speed.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #13
BikerBopa
Founding Member

All ways, with the gas companys profits sky high and them selling world wide even a penny a gallon extra adds enough money to make a person rich. That's reguardless what the price a gallon is.

If 90% of every car or truck in America each gave you a 10 to 55 cents bonus each time you filled up, you'd be happy. Money from motorcycles would be icing on the cake.
BikerBopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
squidwardo
Founding Member

I only ride for fun, no commuting ( I am not saying commuting isn't fun). I will still ride, regardless of how high gas prices get, and with the work I do, commuting on a bike is not an option. $2.00/gal or $5.00/gal, I will still ride the same.

squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Fenton
Founding Member

Only if I run out.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #16
ksquid
Banned

No

kpaul, GMP, ex-Fire Fighter (BLM)*, soon to have 3 college degrees (EE, Business, CS) , predicts gas will soon rise after election.

January price $3.00

June price $3.50

August $4.00

Go baby go.. I hate SUVs

Biodiesel is the way to go..

prices in U.S. average price/gal

*BIFC/NIFC carded, 6 seasons, 200+fires, 50+fires as Fire Boss/Incident Commander, Heliattack Foreman, Engine Forman, Air Recon officier (youngest person to hold those last two positions)
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #17
ksquid
Banned

No brag just fact weasel..Ask me anything about fighting fires for the BLM? both of you? I fought fires all over western Colorado, some in eastern Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana...
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Fenton
Founding Member

I think I saw him doing a PSA wearing a Smokey the Bear costume.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #19
ksquid
Banned

LOL but Smokey is Forest Service. BLM was Johnny Horizon... BLM has more land than the U.S.F.S. Three times for fires.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #20
ofreen
Registered Member

Fuel mileage is important to me because I like a motorcycle with decent range. That means a bike in at least the 45 MPG range with at least a 5.5 gallon tank. The Honda Superhawk V-twin was appealing to me until I heard its mileage was in the low to mid 30s. With its small tank, that seems like an absurdity to me. I have hung onto my CBR1000F all these years because it is still going strong, has a 5.8 gallon tank and can get 50+ mpg at times, even when cruising 80+.

As far as the price of gas goes, it dies get my attention when I have to fill the 9 gal tank on my R100GS-PD at 3 bucks per gallon. I had an almost 40 dollar fillup in Austin, NV in that bike a while back. ouch
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote