Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
rpt
Founding Member

Default Re: New Guzzi 1200S Announced.

btw, the bike seems nice
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
SmokeU
Registered Member

I could most definately ride one of those. I've always been a Guzzi fan.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
manalagi001
Founding Member

The influcence of the Monster continues to be felt, no doubt about that. For years I've heard about the resurrection, or possible resurrection of the UJM, but in the meantime it seems that the UIM (Universal Italian Motorcycle) has become just as influential a standard, if not more so. The 1970s are gone-- and now the 1990s are gone too, along with half of this decade.

What fun times. I remember in the mid-nineties feeling that there was such a dearth of models to choose from. I couldn't believe the Hawk 650GT and CB1 were out of production. Then the Monster was born and it seemed someone understood me.

I've since grown beyond the naked thing...all sorts of bikes appeal to me for different reasons. There's a tool made to match all sorts of rider needs. Plus, as is oft said around here, it aint the tool. Right? That said, I have a naked bike again and it's a friggin blast. I'm in love with nakeds all over again.

I think Honda should take another stab at the basic bike market. Their 919 is a basic bike-- but too much so. With suspension that's too basic, looks that are too basic, and flat black paint...it's a little too, well, basic. I'm surprised they couldn't inject just a wee bit of pizazz into that bike the way they did with the Hawk GT or the CB1. The CB1 even today looks sharp and fully modern, and calls out to motorcyclists with a challenge to enjoy some fun, some fast, some wind and freedom.

This Guzzi slots into this category well. Some fun, some fast, some freedom. I don't know if it will sell though. Its price will likely be high. And about the only thing it will have going for it over Ducatis will be that it's not a Ducati. If it gets price in the very high range, say 14G, then it will be pushing into MV Agusta territory.

But, I'm sure that Guzzi is just trying to capture some of the Monster market, not all of it, and they may be content with even a small piece of that pie.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
manalagi001
Founding Member

The influcence of the Monster continues to be felt, no doubt about that. For years I've heard about the resurrection, or possible resurrection of the UJM, but in the meantime it seems that the UIM (Universal Italian Motorcycle) has become just as influential a standard, if not more so. The 1970s are gone-- and now the 1990s are gone too, along with half of this decade.

What fun times. I remember in the mid-nineties feeling that there was such a dearth of models to choose from. I couldn't believe the Hawk 650GT and CB1 were out of production. Then the Monster was born and it seemed someone understood me.

I've since grown beyond the naked thing...all sorts of bikes appeal to me for different reasons. There's a tool made to match all sorts of rider needs. Plus, as is oft said around here, it aint the tool. Right? That said, I have a naked bike again and it's a friggin blast. I'm in love with nakeds all over again.

I think Honda should take another stab at the basic bike market. Their 919 is a basic bike-- but too much so. With suspension that's too basic, looks that are too basic, and flat black paint...it's a little too, well, basic. I'm surprised they couldn't inject just a wee bit of pizazz into that bike the way they did with the Hawk GT or the CB1. The CB1 even today looks sharp and fully modern, and calls out to motorcyclists with a challenge to enjoy some fun, some fast, some wind and freedom.

This Guzzi slots into this category well. Some fun, some fast, some freedom. I don't know if it will sell though. Its price will likely be high. And about the only thing it will have going for it over Ducatis will be that it's not a Ducati. If it gets price in the very high range, say 14G, then it will be pushing into MV Agusta territory.

But, I'm sure that Guzzi is just trying to capture some of the Monster market, not all of it, and they may be content with even a small piece of that pie.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Gritboy
Founding Member

Now we're talkin'. The monster-esque look, but with the wicked coolness of a Guzzi twin promises to offer a very exciting ride. Can't wait 'til they hit the States.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

Nice lookin' bike.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
maladg
Founding Member

Sweet. And no goofy 'Kitchen God of Valhalla' name, too.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
ksquid
Banned

I like the name bruisers.. or eurocruisers.. But to call them cruisers seems to be an insult really cause don't these bikes have better performance and handling.? Not as good as a Monster but better than a Sportster? I have only rode a Sportster so I really am talking out of my tail.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
ValkBandit
Founding Member

nice ... hopefully the hotted up the engine room while they were at it so that the "go" matches the "show."
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
ksquid
Banned

Default P.S. Nice looking bike

Those Italians never seem to build an ugly bike cept the 999. But the 999 guy was really French...right?
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote