Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3938-design-your-own-perfect-motorcycle.html)

brax4444 09-27-2006 02:50 AM

Re: Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle.

A BMW R1200GS.

egschade 09-27-2006 03:02 AM

The Aprilia Futura comes pretty close is my book (though it looks like it's been dropped from the 2007 line-up). About all it needs is a large trunk, bar risers and slightly larger windshield. An aftermarket exhaust too, so it sounds like a liter v-twin should, not like a vacuum cleaner. All E-Z fixes.

A V-rod engine in a Buell Ulysses with a 1/2 fairing would also be pretty cool.

Then again, there's that new '08 Kawi Concours...

hysteresis 09-27-2006 03:03 AM

1. Liquid cooled, counterbalanced 750cc four.

2. Belt drive

3. 6 speeds

4. Self adjusting valves

5. flat seat, full fairing, small hard saddlebags, top bag large enough for a full face helmet.

6. color "glass ****pit" with downloadable "skins" for guages and indicators.

7. selectable performance profiles for economy, sport, etc.

8. centerstand (easily removable)

9. under 500 pound wet weight.

10. Price under $7500

Fenton 09-27-2006 03:04 AM

A Tuono with Futura wind protection and 1.5" more leg room.

tarheelbob 09-27-2006 03:05 AM

new Kawasaki Concours 1400 with a Givi trunk.

jandj_davis 09-27-2006 03:21 AM

The XB9R with a 9.5K rpm redline (along with no loss of bottom end torque) and optional GIVI hard luggage. Oh yeah, and a Micron Serpent exhaust, race-kit air filter, and re-mapped ECU. Sounds perfect.

earthspirit60 09-27-2006 03:22 AM

I have ridden since 1976. Older machines were more "general" in nature. The newer machines have better performance, but only in particular areas. I believe that the short life cycles of most models is to blame. Why would the aftermarket build any accessories, when any model is only good for 2-3 years? Even the manufacturer gives us nothing more than cycle covers and "carbon-look" tank pads. Only the cruser lines get anything more...usually chrome everything and a passenger pillion...oooooh! ahhhhhh!

My current ride is a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R. It is fast, good on gas, good handling, comfortable, looks cool and was priced right. The down side is that it weighs too much, and has no luggage room (although under seat storage is larger than some tank bags!) My ideal bike would be this bike, but 50lbs lighter, with a center stand, slightly taller windshield, better suspension and with attractive hard bags as an option.

Unfortunately, Kawasaki let this design "wither on the vine" and die. Even after 5 years, the aftermarket failed to step up with much of anything. Now it has been replaced with bizzaro-shogun styled, less practical naked Ninjas

priday 09-27-2006 03:42 AM

My own 'perfect' motorcycle.

O.K. We get a V-Rod motor, hang it from a rope from the ceiling, and have Erik Buell build a sport touring (with this traditional emphasis on "sport") bike around it. Juice the motor, make it lean, crazy stiff chassis, brakes from hell, good seating position, world class bags, rider and passenger cushy accomodations for really long hauls. Bigger by necessity than his current stuff, but this is not a track day machine. (Although if your touring club went to the track, you would absolutely destroy the lot...) Big gas tank, wet weight under 650-700 lbs (WET). Please, Harley, PLEASE either let him or MAKE HIM build this bike! Keep my money here!

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 03:45 AM

Vulcan Nomad

I'm just trying to picture what a Vulcan Nomad would look like.

Spock with a goat by his side?

electraglider_1997 09-27-2006 03:50 AM

Fuel cell bike

1000 miles between compressed natural gas fill-ups at home or station.

200 ft-lbs torque from 0 rpms up.

250 lb bike.

water vapor emissions.

whisper quiet.

Continuously variable transmission.

very loud horn when needed.

adjustable suspension so that any dwarf or stilt could ride safely and comfortably.

No-flat no-air solid polyurethane tires.

Seat that is as good as my lazy-boy for comfort.

Fuel cell also is able to plug into and power house or contruction site.

Electric motor is TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled).

Heated grips and seat standard.

Wind tunnel tested adjustable wind protection.

On/off road capable adventure touring style.

Nothing breaks should it fall over.

Capable of cruising at 100 mph all day.

Microprocessor controlled wheelies for the cooler than shiite factor.

Integral personal computer that has GPS input and wireless internet access. 6 by 10 inch LED LCD screen display. Plays radio, digital music, and is able to show movies and TV. Tach, speedo, and all systems monitored on display. Digitized Maintenance manual standard. Ruggedized to military specs.

Radar and infrared for night time safety shown on screen.

If stolen the computer alerts police to location of bike.

conchscooter 09-27-2006 03:57 AM

Triumph Thruxton

Belt Drive

Hard Bags

Quarter fairing

seat height 29 inches

The_AirHawk 09-27-2006 04:08 AM

OH, moto-mfgrs make LOTS of accessories for their motos - just nothing for the US domestic market. Case in point - look at the "accesories" for any particular model on Yamaha USA's website - then look at the same model on Yamaha UK.

mikenomad 09-27-2006 04:17 AM

A sport-touring Buell. Basically, a non-"adventure" version of the Ulysses with a low seat like the "cg" versions of the XB12S Lightning.

anrajala 09-27-2006 04:26 AM

I would have that 171 hp on the rear wheel Kawi engine on a Fat Boy frame with chromed wheels. No bags but Royal Star's hinged saddle with a very minimum of storage space underearth, just enough for very thin nylon/polyvinyl emergency rainpants, miniature tube of suntan lotion and one condom.

Also from Royal. double front disks, hydraulic clutch and aluminum billet floor boards with hardened steel wear pieces. Steeper inclination capability. Electrically adjustable wind screen with quick non-tool release system.

- cruiz-euro

pplassm 09-27-2006 04:45 AM

Re: Fuel cell bike

I'll take 2, please.

pplassm 09-27-2006 04:46 AM

Somewhere on the web I saw a picture of a bike like that with a Hayabusa engine. Cool!

desertbilly 09-27-2006 04:56 AM

A modern Hawk -- V-Twin, 750 to 800cc, 85-90 hp, solid torque, free-revver, good suspension, adjustability in the seat, bars and pegs to suit tall fellows, under 400 lbs, runs forever, simple, light, fun, versatile, reasonably priced.

Thank you.

maladg 09-27-2006 05:18 AM

Kinda ditto that - Updated Sport Touring Hawk:

1000-1200 90 degree V-Twin

Outstanding handling

Fully adjustible suspension

Mostly visible engine

minimal use of plastic

200-250 mile range NOT including reserve

MONSTER low and mid range - but sweet up top

Useful luggage

BMW grade load capacity - say 450 lbs

Rangy and roomy for creaky knees and cranky wife

Chain, shaft, belt -who cares as long as transparent.

Deep and well thought out accessories a la BMW

Routine maintence procedures thought out well enough so that us home brew wrenches ain't completely left out in the cold.

Don't dare rush it to market and don't DARE use us as "beta testers"

Think of the SuperHawk as a sort of starting point. I couldn't care less who builds it.

And finally, make it something the crusier crowd wouldn't be caught DEAD on...

James_Brown 09-27-2006 05:18 AM

Re: Vulcan Nomad

Outstanding.

BikerJC 09-27-2006 05:19 AM

A Ducati 916 with working electrics, no flaking rocker arms, and 18 000 mile valve adjustments with MBP collets. I'm 1/3 of the way there.

Comfort is for Goldwings, I'm quite happy with a torture rack sport bike.

James_Brown 09-27-2006 05:20 AM

Isn't that pretty much a Multistrada with a few tweaks?

SmokeU 09-27-2006 05:21 AM

Same with Honda UK versus here. Bastards.

Fenton 09-27-2006 05:36 AM

+1

SmokeU 09-27-2006 05:38 AM

Re: My own 'perfect' motorcycle.

So basically you're talking about an FJR or possibly the new Concours?

seruzawa 09-27-2006 05:59 AM

Accessorize!

Any sort of bike will do as long as it has a Phaser Beam Weapon to disintegrate cars that drift into my lane while hte drivers are talking on cell phones, putting on makeup, etc.

Aside from that the bike has to have really really really loud pipes so that I can save as many lives as possible.

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 06:02 AM

I'm sure Al Gore could invent that in about 5 minutes.

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 06:04 AM

Re: Accessorize!

It also has to be completly invisible so you don't have to worry about waving at anyone.

maladg 09-27-2006 06:06 AM

No. The 'Strada is a way cool bike and I wouldn't mind AT ALL having one as a 2ed bike. Make mine a nice, new red 1100S - please!!!!

Strada not roomy enough (I want rangy & roomy for my creaky knees and cranky when not comfy wife). The Strada is seriously seat challenged.

Strada is a bit low on the carrying capacity end, too...down around 400 lbs or so.

I'd answer the same for the ST-3. Also Duc's fall off my "perfect bike wish list" in the maint. area.

Still I sort of agree with you - if I were 5'6" and 140 lbs.

If you read between my lines, I'm asking for a BMW liter class V-Twin. I'll end up settling for a boxer droner, I suppose. After all, I already have one.

nweaver 09-27-2006 06:13 AM

My dream bike: Sprint 675 ST

Start with a Daytona 675. Put adjustable bars which are slightly wider and taller on it, and adjustable footpegs which go lower (to give it the Sprint's seating position, but have the pegs and bars able to go into full "track attack" mode with some adjustment).

Add ABS (with a disable option a'la a GS bimmer), but otherwise keep the brakes unchanged.

Make the front fairing slightly taller to accomodate the different bars & provide more weather protection. Use a double-bubble design for the windscreen.

On the back, KEEP THE SPLIT SEAT. Have an optional hard-luggage topcase which fits on the passanger seat mount point. Have hidden side mounts for sidecases.

Add a centerstand (perhaps).

Now what do you got? A bike you can ride 200 miles to Buttonwillow. Take your gear out and camp.

Adjust the bars, pegs, pull the luggage, and whip out the duct tape. Disable the ABS and ride the track in full "I'm a 600 supersport" attack mode. Camp again.

Put the luggage back on, ride 200 miles home.

bbtowns 09-27-2006 06:14 AM

Actually my V-Strom (1000) is pretty close, but add Ohlins suspension front and rear, hard bags that appear a bit more integrated, and an optional full fairing (that can be easily removed to expose original body work) for foul weather commuting/touring.

Oh, you could put a tuono motor in there I suppose, or the head off a TL1000.

maladg 09-27-2006 06:17 AM

I want an invisible bike with REALLY LOUD SPEAKERS. That way I can confuse Harley fans at their group rides by playing cool jazzy tunes at earbleed levels while minimizing personal risk.

Imagine the fun I could have playing Thelonious Monk, Tom Waits (the SwordfishTrombone years), Miles Davis, Mose Allison, Oscar Peterson, Bird, etc.

They wouldn't know whether to kill or chill.

Signed,

"My Mind is on Vacation and my Mouth is Workin' Overtime"

SmokeU 09-27-2006 06:17 AM

Didn't he already doit in the '90s?

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 06:19 AM

I was on a ride with a buddy of mine and just for kicks I blasted the new Madonna cd on the Geezer Glide.

You should have seen the looks when I pulled into a gas station full of "bikers."

maladg 09-27-2006 06:21 AM

How's 'bout a K-Strom with what you said PLUS modern sport bike wheels/tires AND the TL1000 tuning - but updated to 2007 standards.

Though the Tuono motor would work - yes it would.

maladg 09-27-2006 06:23 AM

Outstanding!!!

Fenton 09-27-2006 06:33 AM

"new Madonna cd"

Um...does that mean you bought it?

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 06:35 AM

Sister burned it for me.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Neal 09-27-2006 06:41 AM

Re: My own 'perfect' motorcycle.

What is it about 2cyl vice 4 cyl you dont understand?

Rob-SV650 09-27-2006 06:41 AM

Actually I think the SV1K engine would be better, but otherwise, HELL YES!

BTW, I own a V-Strom with full Kappa luggage myself.

Akuma007 09-27-2006 06:43 AM

Sport tourer has already been designed for me:

Concours 14. Thanks Kawasaki!!

Liter bike: I've got the perfect one already: '05 ZX10R

Liter Twin: I think the Aprilia RSV1000R would do me just fine. Even a 999 (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg)