Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3938-design-your-own-perfect-motorcycle.html)

SmokeU 09-27-2006 07:47 AM

Re: My own 'perfect' motorcycle.

The part about 4cyl engines making the same or more torque than 2cyl engines at the same RPMs. While at the same time revving higher and making more hp at the same RPMs.

I don't buy motorcycles because they 'sound cool'

Holy_Kaw 09-27-2006 07:51 AM

Re: Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle.

My first thought was the "old" Sprint ST with a "Daytona" spec engine as a street "do-it-aller".

The 800 Beemers should have the dual-purpose "do-it-allers" covered but the new 650 Kaw may be worth a look when it comes out.

I have thought about building a bike for a long time. Simply put my ideal streetbike concept would start as a full power 1000cc I-4 streetfighter with a sportoriented chassis. It should be able to transition to a full tourer w/maybe an 8 gal tank or full sportbike or anywhere between and back in a hour with a modular-type design.

Rob-SV650 09-27-2006 07:52 AM

No such animal

The problem is the perfect bike for around town and sport riding would have the size and weight somewhere between a Ninja 250 and an SV650, but once you start adding luggage, luggage framework, better seating for passengers, bigger motor for more torque 2-up, etc, you end up with a lot heavier bike that is too cumbersome to be perfect for lighter use.

So ideally I'd just have 2 bikes:

An SV650ish bike for commuting and sport riding alone, and a V-Strom 1000 with hard luggage (which I own) or something along the lines of a Sprint ST for longer trips or where I need to carry crap and/or a passenger.

So in practice I putt-putt around on a Ninja 250, which is super easy to toss around, gets killer gas mileage, and is surprisingly capable (handles great with modern tires on it), and take the V-Strom for longer rides, when I need carrying capacity, or when the girlfriend comes with me.

maladg 09-27-2006 07:55 AM

Re: Accessorize!

Material Girl!

Tigercub 09-27-2006 08:00 AM

There's no perfect bike.

Buy the one that fits the best.

Modify the footpegs as needed using either aftermarket units or fabricate your own.

Seat - pull the cover and add or subtract foam as needed - it's actually pretty easy to do that.

Bars - can be tricky if the bike doesn't have a round bar. But, you can always pad the grips or replace them and if necessary. Fabricate a piece to raise the bar.

Engine - lots of aftermarket stuff to tune motors, which probably doens't really need to be done anyway.

Gearing - you can really change a bikes riding characteristics by changing gearing.

Aftermarket suspension - lots of stuff available.

In no time you'll have the bike that fits you perfectly.

Kreb_Cycle 09-27-2006 08:02 AM

Re: Fuel cell bike

And comes with George Jetson as a driver.

Holy_Kaw 09-27-2006 08:07 AM

Re: My dream bike: Sprint 675 ST

Not bad.

seruzawa 09-27-2006 08:09 AM

He finally got tired of his Mariah Carey collection and decided to move to something more hard edged.

ksaathoff 09-27-2006 08:10 AM

If I had one, I'd burn it too.

maladg 09-27-2006 08:27 AM

True enough and I fully agree. But then we don't get to whine. And IF the mfg do make the types of improvements we all pine for - and Peter Eagan occasionally ruminates about - we'd still keep doin' what you are talking about anyway.

Signed,

Mind STILL on vacation and Mouth STILL Working Overtime.