Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3938-design-your-own-perfect-motorcycle.html)

SmokeU 09-27-2006 06:47 AM

Re: My own 'perfect' motorcycle.

The part about 4cyl engines making the same or more torque than 2cyl engines at the same RPMs. While at the same time revving higher and making more hp at the same RPMs.

I don't buy motorcycles because they 'sound cool'

Holy_Kaw 09-27-2006 06:51 AM

Re: Design your own 'perfect' motorcycle.

My first thought was the "old" Sprint ST with a "Daytona" spec engine as a street "do-it-aller".

The 800 Beemers should have the dual-purpose "do-it-allers" covered but the new 650 Kaw may be worth a look when it comes out.

I have thought about building a bike for a long time. Simply put my ideal streetbike concept would start as a full power 1000cc I-4 streetfighter with a sportoriented chassis. It should be able to transition to a full tourer w/maybe an 8 gal tank or full sportbike or anywhere between and back in a hour with a modular-type design.

Rob-SV650 09-27-2006 06:52 AM

No such animal

The problem is the perfect bike for around town and sport riding would have the size and weight somewhere between a Ninja 250 and an SV650, but once you start adding luggage, luggage framework, better seating for passengers, bigger motor for more torque 2-up, etc, you end up with a lot heavier bike that is too cumbersome to be perfect for lighter use.

So ideally I'd just have 2 bikes:

An SV650ish bike for commuting and sport riding alone, and a V-Strom 1000 with hard luggage (which I own) or something along the lines of a Sprint ST for longer trips or where I need to carry crap and/or a passenger.

So in practice I putt-putt around on a Ninja 250, which is super easy to toss around, gets killer gas mileage, and is surprisingly capable (handles great with modern tires on it), and take the V-Strom for longer rides, when I need carrying capacity, or when the girlfriend comes with me.

maladg 09-27-2006 06:55 AM

Re: Accessorize!

Material Girl!

Tigercub 09-27-2006 07:00 AM

There's no perfect bike.

Buy the one that fits the best.

Modify the footpegs as needed using either aftermarket units or fabricate your own.

Seat - pull the cover and add or subtract foam as needed - it's actually pretty easy to do that.

Bars - can be tricky if the bike doesn't have a round bar. But, you can always pad the grips or replace them and if necessary. Fabricate a piece to raise the bar.

Engine - lots of aftermarket stuff to tune motors, which probably doens't really need to be done anyway.

Gearing - you can really change a bikes riding characteristics by changing gearing.

Aftermarket suspension - lots of stuff available.

In no time you'll have the bike that fits you perfectly.

Kreb_Cycle 09-27-2006 07:02 AM

Re: Fuel cell bike

And comes with George Jetson as a driver.

Holy_Kaw 09-27-2006 07:07 AM

Re: My dream bike: Sprint 675 ST

Not bad.

seruzawa 09-27-2006 07:09 AM

He finally got tired of his Mariah Carey collection and decided to move to something more hard edged.

ksaathoff 09-27-2006 07:10 AM

If I had one, I'd burn it too.

maladg 09-27-2006 07:27 AM

True enough and I fully agree. But then we don't get to whine. And IF the mfg do make the types of improvements we all pine for - and Peter Eagan occasionally ruminates about - we'd still keep doin' what you are talking about anyway.

Signed,

Mind STILL on vacation and Mouth STILL Working Overtime.

Neal 09-27-2006 07:28 AM

not the point.......it was his "perfect motorcycle" and he obviously prefers twins so the bikes you mentioned didnt match his requirements.

stlarson 09-27-2006 07:36 AM

The perfect new factory bike..

Being nearly 2007, every new bike should come with adjustable rear-sets. Having to blow $250-300 on a feature which should be standard is irritating.

Take a lesson from Heli, license or develop your own take on the idea. To satisfy the hardcore nuts, maybe offer a couple different clip-on styles per model. This ties in with the rear-sets.

The seat even on a purebred sportbike shouldn't suck. Again, having to drop $300 on a Corbin to replace the $5 bargain basement foam garbage shouldn't need to be done. On top of this, a seat height of no more than 31", lower yet even more appreciated.

The chain must go, bring on the kevlar belt.

Center mounted exhaust, a la Buell or the Ninja 650. I've cooked my calf on the can once too often, and putting it under the tail is also forbidden.

Being nearly 2007, a center stand. If an EX250 developed in 1987 can have a center stand why isn't this a standard feature everywhere?

The engine? How about a Triumph Triple dialed back to 800cc.

A slipper clutch.

Adjustable clutch lever, to match the adjustable brake lever.

Wet weight of 400lbs or so.

Optional hardcases, with either the subframe pre-drilled and ready for the install or some intelligent method of mounting the cases which at least doesn't require the owner to take power tools to their expensive new toy.

Analog everything. I will take an analog tach, speedo, trip meter, and fuel gauge over a monochrome LCD anyday.

macmanjim 09-27-2006 07:54 AM

It weighs too much?

nweaver 09-27-2006 07:57 AM

More on Sprint 675 SST

One other comment: Triumph could build this bike in a hot second. The parts changes from the Daytona are limited to:

Handlebar, front fairing (you could keep the lights and everything else), rearsets, shift linkage, rear brake linkage.

Mounting points on the subframe for the side luggage. Although this might mean beafing up the subframe slightly.

The ABS comes from the Sprint.

Otherwise, its ALL Daytona. (Well, maby go up a tooth or two on the rear sproket).

So it isn't even "parts bin" engineering, its taking a few clever bolt-on bits to make a completely new CLASS of bike: The SST, SuperSport Tourer.

Triumph busted up the 600ss segment with the Daytona, lets bust up the ST segment with something equally as revolutionary.

Fenton 09-27-2006 07:57 AM

I'm playing with you, I have a maddona tape.....'83 or '84 I forget.

SmokeU 09-27-2006 08:08 AM

And by that criteria you are correct.

Buzglyd 09-27-2006 08:49 AM

At least I wasn't playing Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson.

seruzawa 09-27-2006 08:52 AM

We all know that you are a closet George Michael fan.

pplassm 09-27-2006 10:51 AM

Suzuki 1200 Madura.

AKA the ugliest bike on the planet.

NLJ 09-27-2006 10:59 AM

Two Words.

Nuclear Reactor.

(But i guess that's actually a total of 4)

orcyclist 09-27-2006 11:17 AM

With an FZ1 engine and ABS frorm the 2006 BMW R1200S, wind protection from the Honda St1300; Full Digital color instrument Panel. Adjustable suspension modes a la BMW. Keep the belt drive. 2 x 100 W Driving lights std. (integrated into fairings) Infrared display for helmet at night. Seat height 31 or lower. Memory foam seating surface.

Joseph_Betor 09-27-2006 11:45 AM

Somebody probably already posted this, but, I'd like a GSX-R100 Sport Tourer. Same engine, same suspension, just more wind protection, slightly higher clip-ons, slightly lower foot-pegs and integral hard luggage. Oh, and a gallon more fuel.

Joseph_Betor 09-27-2006 11:46 AM

Re: Ack!

Make that GSX-R1000. Need to proof read better.

ksquid 09-27-2006 11:49 AM

Must haves
[*]Adjustable handle bars, pegs, and seat. (Ducati 999)[*]Removable Fairing pieces.[*]Standard mounts for luggage etc. (like the VFR)[*]Standard plug for electonic devices (charger, detector, GPS, etc.) (like BMW)[*]No valve clearance adjustments or inspections (llike Buell)[*]No chain .... belt (like Buel)[*]Easy maintenance. 10,000 mi service intervals if you use synthetic oil.[*]Fuel injected.[*]Smooth transmission.[*]World class modern power plant.[*]Built in frame sliders

Nice to haves.[*]Heads up display transmitter to helmet[*]Helment faceshield LCD display (rpm, speed, gear indicator, radar etc.)[*]ABS[*]Traction Control.

ksquid 09-27-2006 11:50 AM

I like it. Good list

ksquid 09-27-2006 11:53 AM

Good idea

ksquid 09-27-2006 11:55 AM

Re: My dream bike: Sprint 675 ST

I liket it. Excellent

ksquid 09-27-2006 11:58 AM

figures. :)

ksquid 09-27-2006 12:58 PM

Excellent I like it. I like digital but analog is quicker to process in your brain i.e. you get a sense of scale Having a flat panel display LCD where you could select the style of display would be cool. Some folks might want digital some might want analog or a combination. Heck it shouldn't be that expensive. You could even have one LCD for the entire line of bikes could save costs. Include a standard bus to interface it with other stuff. i.e. diagonositc equipment.

zenjim 09-27-2006 01:06 PM

Check out the new Suzuki B King - a naked with the Busa engine and body styling by DC Comics!

ksquid 09-27-2006 01:19 PM

"body styling by DC Comics!" LOL Excellent description you are spot on. :)

The_AirHawk 09-27-2006 02:24 PM

I watched those cartoons when I was a kid - the onboard computer did it all, George couldn't drive for $h!t........

anrajala 09-27-2006 02:35 PM

This is what I don´t get. People are more hang up with the ingridients than the end result. There was this other thread where this daddy wanted absolutely "a shaft drive", added to this and that, and was totally, like, screwed. How limited can we get? Also here 2 or 4, does the end result not matter for God´s sake?

- cruiz-euro

ofreen 09-27-2006 02:39 PM

A R1200GS built by Honda.

anrajala 09-27-2006 02:39 PM

I think this requires a bottle more of Malbec to get on the same wave length. Mayge two bottles. Well its only 9:39 PM in Buenos Aires

- cruiz-euro

adaleb 09-27-2006 02:42 PM

Buell Thunderbolt S4T. Erik knows what we are talking about. He just hates Sport Touring bikes ("they never sell"). A shame. I'll keep my 2000 S3T and hope for the best.

Full fairing, adjustable windshield, big alternator, multiple electrical sockets, built in GPS, great Buell brakes, cool, flowing, stylized saddle bags, comfy seat ........... Oh no, I think I just described the Kawasaki (or the new FJR).

Actually, Electra Glides and Road Kings look better and better as well.

anrajala 09-27-2006 02:50 PM

Madonna, well maybe I should send you a cd so you and your sis can relax

- cruiz-euro

anrajala 09-27-2006 02:57 PM

Re: Actually I think the SV1K engine would be better, but otherwise, HELL YES!

If you own V-Storm why are you called SV650? You were not a very strong contender in spelling bees during your younger years? Not that its any of my business.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala 09-27-2006 03:18 PM

Digital is better in exact measurements. For example, if you have an analog scale in your bathroom you are an idiot.

In motorbikes however, I agree with you. I will never buy one with a digital speedo or RPM meter. I hope anyway.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala 09-27-2006 03:31 PM

Re: Ack!

Maybe he likes 100cc bikes. We all know his little problem. Let´s understand it.

- cruiz-euro