Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   'Balanced Editoral on Helmets', says KSquid. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3613-balanced-editoral-helmets-says-ksquid.html)

Buzglyd 05-23-2006 03:11 PM

Re: 'Balanced Editoral on Helmets', says KSquid.

What can possibly be said in a helmet thread that hasn't already been said?

Next!

egb 05-23-2006 03:11 PM

Fascinating.

ksquid 05-23-2006 03:37 PM

Did you read it? I don't think so..Buz you saw my name on it and boom GPTB response. I think if you read it carefully you would agrre that it is probably the most balanced editorial written on this subject. In fact there are some points that your buddy longride has been making. No go back to Go and do no collect $200.

BrowningBAR 05-23-2006 03:45 PM

I read it. Nothing new.

ksquid 05-23-2006 03:47 PM

Move along Browningbar there is nothing to see here..

Fenton 05-23-2006 05:28 PM

Attention Motorcyclist

"WEAR A HELMET"

There, the latest and best article on helmets.

Buzglyd 05-23-2006 05:52 PM

I guess you didn't read my post genius because I was commenting on another helmet thread, not the article.

I'm calling Mensa.

mikenomad 05-23-2006 06:24 PM

Re: If You Have a Five-Dollar Brain...

Until they develop a prosthetic brain, a helmet is the best way to keep a dance with the pavement from being the Last Dance. But there will always be folks campaigning for The Right to Be Stupid.

Dangerousdave_2 05-23-2006 07:21 PM

Restrict vision and hearing? After an hour without a helmet, your eyes are watering, you've been hit by a few bugs (dragonflies are a real melonfarmer) and your ears are ringing anyway, unless you're plodding along at about forty five, holding up all the RV's behind you. In that case, it's probably fine.

schizuki 05-23-2006 08:18 PM

"Until they develop a prosthetic brain, a helmet is the best way to keep a dance with the pavement from being the Last Dance."

No, not riding a motorcycle is the best way.

The majority of people believe simply riding a motorcycle is dangerously stupid. Since I do not wish them to have the power to tell me I can't risk my life riding, I will not tell other riders they cannot risk their lives riding helmetless.

I always wear a helmet. That's my decision. Nobody else's.

gigantic 05-23-2006 09:57 PM

personally, I'm against helmet laws. since it seems that only idiots (harley riders and sandal toting, shorts wearing busa rider/squids) refuse to wear them, it seems like helmet freedom does a pretty good job of weeding out the shallow end of the gene pool. I'm currently nursing a broken collarbone caused by wearing a helmet during a crash. after seeing the impact that my helmet took for me at 120 mph, I shudder to think of what other injuries I'd be nursing if the racing organizations & track-day providers didn't require helmets and I chose not to wear one.

xlr8r 05-24-2006 12:12 AM

Yes, why is it always 'Busa riders who are wearing shorts? The same phenomenon occurs here in Europe. It isn't the superfast-bike-no-protection paradox kick either, 'cos Blackbird riders are always leathered and armoured from head to toe...any ideas?

BillyO 05-24-2006 01:12 AM

The mind set against wearing helmets goes beyond the reasons usually given.

Up here in NH,going helmetless is a means of fitting in,being cool,lookin`tough.

It is crazy that so many will wear chaps,leather

jackets,boots,and anything else to create an image,but cannot bring themselves to wear head protection.

It`s not JUST a HARLEY thing rither.

The group rules.

longride 05-24-2006 01:46 AM

"after seeing the impact that my helmet took for me at 120 mph"

And this idiot has the balls to utter "weeding out the shallow end of the gene pool" Looks like you are holding up your end of the stick.

pdad13 05-24-2006 02:03 AM

He did imply it was at a track day.

Neal 05-24-2006 02:33 AM

Exactly,KPAUL.....same points many of us have made,OVER and OVEr and OVER...but you dont listen. Then you post this as if its something new. Bottom line----helmets good;helmet laws bad.

Buzglyd 05-24-2006 03:32 AM

Cuz a 'busa is a pop-culture bike and the Blackbird is an old fart's bike mainly.

dmc42421 05-24-2006 03:48 AM

I got the distinct that this was a track accident, too. If we start in on the track folk, then you put a good portion of MO's articles under suspicion since that's where a lot of the bike analyses happen.

crevans 05-24-2006 04:14 AM

Actually, there's a guy named Hans Moravec working on exactly that: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=907441

seruzawa 05-24-2006 04:29 AM

In Utah it appears that 600cc Supersports are sold with free t-shirts, shorts and sandals as a promotional gimmick.

I've lost count of the idiots I've seen blazing down the Interstate at 90+ with nothing on but shorts and sandals. Sometimes they wear a helmet with their sandals and shorts... as if it would matter.

seruzawa 05-24-2006 04:33 AM

Be careful when you call Mensa that you don't give them your real name 'cause then you might go on that "useless bread gobbler" list they keep.

bmwdude 05-24-2006 04:46 AM

My momma once said, "Forest, stupid is as stupid does. So, if you have a worthless head why bother to wear a helmet?"

My momma loves me, she even bought me a tee shirt and sandals to wear while riding my busa? The shirt has an arrow pointing straight up and says "I'm with stupid!"

That's all I have to say about that.....

bbtowns 05-24-2006 04:56 AM

Didn't seem all that balanced. The comment that if you were in an accident at 55 mph you don't stand much chance anyway is crap. I'm living proof. The helmet looked like it had been hit by a viking with a mace, but my head was fine.

sarnali 05-24-2006 05:19 AM

Cool, another helmet thread, there's some new faces around here, I'll bet they have a well reasoned and thought out position either for or against...we need to break it down though,

1) Pro helmet, pro helmet law....

2) Pro helmet, anti helmet law...

3) Anti helmet, anti helmet law..

4) Anti helmet, pro helmet law (but only for newbies...)

5) Anti everything, pro una-bomber, kill everyone, start the revolution...

6) Anti everything, anti una-bomber, start the revolution but don't kill everyone...Just like stomp on their toes or something....

That should cover it...I know LET'S START AN OIL THREAD....I'LL GO FIRST.....

I think your stupid if you put car oil in a motorcycle....you have to use 10w 40 Mobil One Full Synthetic mil.spec.0993872655284661, not that crappy gold cap mil. spec. 987726635482.988726 or else you rings won't ring, your bearings won't bear and you pistons won't work either....

maladg 05-24-2006 05:25 AM

Bean oil is the ONLY ANSWER! I'll let you know when I determine the associated question...

bigdx 05-24-2006 05:29 AM

"Until they develop a prosthetic brain"

They have ... what do you think kp has been using all the while?

seruzawa 05-24-2006 05:34 AM

Fool. Everyone knows that you're not supposed to use mil spec 0993872655284661. Sheesh. Where you from? You're supposed to use mil spec 0993872655284661-1!

Buzglyd 05-24-2006 05:36 AM

You shouldn't use that kind. It's "too slippery."

ejis 05-24-2006 05:44 AM

Thanks for the oil tip - is that ok to use before my engine is broken in?

And how should I break it in, anyway - the manufacturer certainly doesn't know what they're talking about.

BrowningBAR 05-24-2006 05:49 AM

Well, whatever he's using, it is lodged in his @ss...

sarnali 05-24-2006 06:01 AM

I've heard that if you don't use mil.spec. 883762534099826538.98 which is a full "Type 3" synthetic in the transmission it'll grenade the day after your warrenty runs out and the dealer won't cover it ........

sarnali 05-24-2006 06:08 AM

For proper break-in you have to start with a cold engine, use Wal*Mart house brand 10w40, hold it at full throttle in neutral for 5 full minutes then shut it off, spray the engine with a garden hose and then tighten everything up with thew biggest breaker bar you can find....then drain the oil, fill the crankcase with gasoline, drain it out and fill it back up with more Wal*Mart 10w40

that way everything will wear in right and she'll run like poop through a goose..

schizuki 05-24-2006 06:12 AM

"Bottom line----helmets good;helmet laws bad."

Exactamundo.

Fenton 05-24-2006 06:15 AM

A little off the topic.

Sorry for the hijack;

Can I use the moto-man engine break-in technique on my new Yamaha Vino 125?

Thanks for all your help.

seruzawa 05-24-2006 06:19 AM

Don't forget to add a tube of valve lapping compound every third oil change to keep the valves properly seated.

bmwdude 05-24-2006 06:39 AM

I wish someone would develop a prosthetic brain. Coz I could sure use one. Between kids and grandkids my old one is about kaput!

sarnali 05-24-2006 06:47 AM

That's the most important part...

Tigercub 05-24-2006 07:07 AM

Re: A little off the topic.

Yes. Works for all internal combustion engines. But, remember the Vino is not a 'Busa, so don't try to run it in like that. Are you wearing a helmet?

Tigercub 05-24-2006 07:10 AM

The article balanced the arguments pro and con for helmet use. The correct decision about whether or not to wear a helmet strongly favors wearing one over not wearing one.

sean11 05-24-2006 07:21 AM

to helmet or not?

I work in an ER and I ride. Wear a helmet. Helmets are life saving at speeds well above the legal limit in many situations. i will go one step further and say wear a full face helmet. Leather or other abrasion resistant material is also a must. It's ok to let those who ride decide, but it's just plain dumb not to wear one. I don't buy the argument about restrcting vision or hearing either. people will say that and ride bikes so lound they could'nt hear artillery firing beside them. it's a feeble argument at best.