Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law Gets Preliminary Approval in House. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3464-repeal-motorcycle-helmet-law-gets-preliminary-approval-house.html)

smithrob75 04-05-2006 09:41 AM

Re: Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law Gets Preliminary Approval in House.

woo-hoo, let's thin out the herd. (j/k)

I mean does it really matter that much. My Dad rides a cruiser and when he does wear a helmet he just wears a non DOT approved,, novelty only, porridge pot. I'm sure most the cruiser guys are like this. I don't have statistics but it seems the half helmets don't really offer that much protection.

mheyer 04-05-2006 09:59 AM

I hate the law, but would not ride without a helmet (strange, eh?). I jus don't like being told what to do. And generally I don't believe that laws control behavior as much as they would like them to. If you want to take the risk of yourself, then by all means....go for it. I'll stick to wearing my helmet.

zarn02 04-05-2006 10:10 AM

i also fall in the "you should, but i think it's wrong to make you" crowd. choosing not to look after your best interests shouldn't be a crime.

zoomie 04-05-2006 10:15 AM

I love Arizona we wll never pass a adult helmet law. When its 110 out you can cook your brain while sitting at a red light.

gbrummett 04-05-2006 10:27 AM

You need a cooler helmet, try a Shoei X-11 it's cooler that not wearing a helmet at all.

Brent_Meeker 04-05-2006 10:35 AM

There's no reason to deny health benefits. It's just propaganda that non-helmeted motorcyclists cost more in health benefits. Actually they cost LESS because they are more often killed outright instead of just crippled.

The same bogus argument is being used by states to collect damages from tobacco companies on the theory that smokers cost the state more in health care. In fact the opposite it true because they die early and don't collect as much retirement.

BrowningBAR 04-05-2006 10:44 AM

I've got one and love it! Well worth the extra coin.

I was amazed, since the crappy helmet I wore (rarely) in AZ was like wrapping my head in a garbage bag.

I usually went helmetless in AZ and still remember a few years back during the summer it was just brutal. I think it was '02 when the temps got near 120 (as apposed to the cool breeziness of 112s and 115s). At the stop lights I was just pouring sweat.

The blacktop made it seem 20 degrees hotter.

Though, I do miss the year round riding.

bigdx 04-05-2006 10:55 AM

Funny how self-righteous the ricer riding crowd is about folks who do not wear helmets, yet they are the first to ride irresponsibly and cause danger on the road to both themselves and other road users.

I guess if I rode like a **** I would want to wear a helmet too ...

03zx12r 04-05-2006 11:02 AM

Ok here buddy. There is no reason for you to start making comments about those guys riding crotchrockets just because you are tired of being the slow guy in the crowd. I am local to this area. While I do not believe this helmet law should be changed, I do think people should have a choice. If you choose to be stupid - then that's your choice. Stupid is as stupid does. Cooking the brain in AZ waiting at stop lights? - Better to cook the brain then splatter it in the ground and let it fry that way!

Grow up and wear a helmet each time you get on the bike. You can not expect the unexpected!

03zx12r 04-05-2006 11:06 AM

Grow up - you could have a fast bike if you chose to - the fact that you chose a slow bike is not anyone elses fault so don't even bring it up. Grow up and wear a helmet each and every time you ride. You made a comment about those guys riding like a **** - your comments put you in that same catagory !!!

seruzawa 04-05-2006 11:09 AM

O f(ck here we go with another stupid helmet thread.

It's like freaking "Groundhog Day".

SmokeU 04-05-2006 11:10 AM

I wear a helmet 99% of the time. I am however fully against any legislation requiring helmet use.

bigdx 04-05-2006 11:23 AM

I can ride like a **** anytime I want. I choose not to. The way I choose to ride had a lot to do with the bike I purchased. The bike I chose to purchase has little to do with the way I ride.

By exceeding the speed limits you break the law; by not wearing a helmet I do not. Yet I should grow up? What part of breaking the law is mature and adult behavior?

Wearing a helmet is not a panacea to being safe out there. Riding in a responsible manner is.

longride 04-05-2006 11:37 AM

Would that make you a 1%er??

Tigercub 04-05-2006 11:53 AM

No helmet law? No body armor? No right to die?? Those wacky christian republicans.

Dangerousdave_2 04-05-2006 11:54 AM

This is not about helmets--it's about poor old bigdx (think he's got a problem?) finding any excuse he can to abuse people who ride Japanese motorcycles. It's kinda pathetic. We probably shouldn't reward his pitiful cries for attention by responding in any way.

naco_traficante 04-05-2006 11:57 AM

non-helmet riders: just get over it

Every other motorized transport in the US has associated safety laws and regulations. If you wanna run free and wild, move to France.

bigdx 04-05-2006 11:58 AM

Thanks Dave, I was hanging for that bit of attention.

PS. If I give you my phone number will you call?

stodd1111 04-05-2006 12:09 PM

Re: non-helmet riders: just get over it

<blockquote>If you wanna run free and wild, move to France.</blockquote>

Where they place a horsepower restriction on motorcycles? You gotta be kidding me.

stodd1111 04-05-2006 12:12 PM

You must live in a different part of the U.S. Around here, it seems like the Harley riders are the ones who act like a bunch of maniacs.

I see groups of sportbike riders who are always in full gear, riding well, and with no wheelies or other stupidity.

Tadgh 04-05-2006 01:16 PM

this would be true except for one thing....even if you are riding in a responsible manner you may have an accident and crack your skull on the road due to no fault of your own....and i may break speed limits and never hit the deck...

not being from the us ..are there states with no car seat belt laws ?

Tadgh 04-05-2006 01:18 PM

it was proposed ..never happened

bigdx 04-05-2006 01:38 PM

Not wanting to into a he-said she-said exchange, I bet your local insurance agent and troop office will disagree with you.

My brother in law is a state trooper and during summer months he frequently has to scrape rice off the road. The sad thing is innocent folks are sometimes involved.

The idea that 190mph motorcycle are sold when the speed limits are 65 is somewhat mind boggling. I cannot imagine it will be long before we get legislation to reduce horsepower level on bikes.

bigdx 04-05-2006 01:41 PM

I am not sure if seatbelts are mandatory in all states. Where I stay they are, but you may not get pulled over for not wearing. You may only be sited for it when you are pulled over for something else.

"and i may break speed limits and never hit the deck"

True, but you may break speed limits and kill an innocent bystander. If I crack my skull I will be cracking my own skull. My choice, my pain.

rapier 04-05-2006 01:44 PM

Be carefull what you wish for. Sooner or later, probably a bit sooner because of helmet law repeals, health insurance is going to stop coverage of "dangerous activities". Forget the sematics of what is dangerous, motorcycling will be on the top of the list.

Check out how much $5000 of medical coverage is with your insurance company then get ready to take up bicycling.

vcs700s 04-05-2006 01:47 PM

So does that mean there will soon be legislation to reduce horsepower on cars that can go over 200mph? Then we will have to drive vehicles that can just make it to the speed limit safely, or maybe a little over?

Get real!

bigdx 04-05-2006 02:27 PM

You get real sunshine.

In the US we have over 40,000 motor vehicle fatalities a year. You think if the EPA can pass a law that can fine you $10000 per day for changing your exhaust, that the government cannot pass laws to place horsepower restrictions or limit top speeds?

If the maximum speed limit is 65, how can the manufacturers and resellers justify selling motorcycles that exceed 100-120mph? Countries like Japan and Switzerland (and France?) have 100hp restrictions on m/c already, and they are rigorously enforced.

I do not see restricting motorcar horsepower as such a big issue. Very few folks own cars that can do 180mph and even less will ride them at that speed through traffic. Sadly, I see morons on sport bikes do that frequently.

ksquid 04-05-2006 02:49 PM

I agree I think we found the anti-kpaul

bigdx I think is my mirror opposite, evil twin, the antichrist...etc.

He hates crotch rockets, loves W... on on

But he sure loves the stir things up like the old kpaul eh?

I'll sit this one out too much work to do since the promotion.

kpaul...

P.S. good to see your post seruzawa seems like you don't post much anymore...I like your sense of humor even though you are wrong all of the time :) Just kiddiing

Logan01 04-05-2006 02:53 PM

I break the speed limits all the time, and I have not hurt anyone in the 20 plus years I've been riding. It isn't the speed that kills as much as it's the rider or cage driver not paying attention. I will agree that speed can kill when people ride over their heads, but that's apples to oranges.

Speed in itself doesn't kill. Stupid does.

I also fall into the wear a helmet don't want to be told to crowd.

BMW4VWW 04-05-2006 03:02 PM

I agree with you completely about having no more horse power than you need to go the speed limit. No doubt you've already removed one of the plug wires on your Harley to meet that standard. Otherwise you would seem a trifle hypocritical.

mscuddy 04-05-2006 03:09 PM

Again Mr. Traficante clear, concise logic. Thank you.

longride 04-05-2006 03:38 PM

"Speed in itself doesn't kill. Stupid does."

Kinda like saying falling doesn't kill anyone. It's that sudden stop at the end. Can't get around physics son.

Weezel 04-05-2006 03:54 PM

1) I think we should all support this repeal

3) I think suicide should be illegal and punishable by death

4) What happened to #2?

trovador 04-05-2006 04:24 PM

No helmet law? Sure! As long as my tax dollars aren't wasted on the mental midgets that don't wear helmets after they're quads, on ventilators, obtaining >$200k+ of free medical service, not to mention the long term care. WE pay for these people' injuries! As a medical professional, and a cyclist, I've seen enough pain and how much we pay for these fools who don't wear helmets! Enough! Why do ya' think they're called "murdercycles" and "donorcycles" by those who work in the ER?

fl34 04-05-2006 04:40 PM

I personally prefer that my"tax" dollars go to you as you slowly while away from alzheimers or cancer or old age. What costs more? Damn fools that know the cost of everything but the value of nothing...

bigdx 04-05-2006 04:41 PM

"I agree with you completely about having no more horse power than you need to go the speed limit"

With whom are you agreeing?

bigdx 04-05-2006 04:42 PM

LOL, yeah, guns don't kill people. Cops do ...

yoavy11 04-05-2006 04:44 PM

About 16,000 of those fatalities are DUI related. Maybe 800 are directly caused by speed.

Make alcohol illegal.

bigdx 04-05-2006 04:48 PM

"Maybe 800 are directly caused by speed"

Try about 25 000 deaths.

Dixit 04-05-2006 04:53 PM

Here in Florida, the number of fatalities, even in proportion to the total number of bikes has increased a lot since the helmet law was repealed. Also, the cost of injuries related to motorcycle accidents has increased.

Not wearing a helmet is not just a personnal choice: You may not care much if you are left with only half of your brains but I do because I will end up paying for your poor choice.

Finally, how can you justify forcing people to wear a seat belt but not a helmet?